The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I got the impression that there was some kind of label on the prop shaft that has finally worn off with use on wet roads and the like
Looking at the photo again, and after @Logsplitter comment and my dust mark I'm convinced it is the cable hanging down right above it.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has that cable above it been rubbing intermittently when on rough roads onto the prop shaft
That’s what caused my transfer box cables to wear through. Some of the fixings for electric cables, transfer box cables , front rads etc. are seriously dubious in my opinion. I will elaborate via Logsplitter travels thread over the next few days when internet is better.
Tks and also @Eric - the cable is in the right spot but it's filthy and no visible rub marks. Have cable tied it out of the way. It's also possible that some debris attached itself around the cable and rubbed on the shaft?? Will get back under it tomorrow.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok a bit more cable tying just to be on the safeside.

1) The one above the forward propshaft
2) A few loose ones near the transfer lever cables.
3) Quite an exposed one near the transfer box, very low electrical socket so the cable doesn't have much choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
My PTC parts arrived for the diff breathers. The 2-to-1 outlet will connect both lines from the diffs and be secured high in the engine bay (against the firewall/bulkhead most likely). The breather fitting will attach to the threaded portion to keep spiders and dust out.

At the rear diff I plan to use the 90def. fitting to avoid the exhaust, and possibly the straight fitting in front. But I bought 2x straight and 2x 90deg. just in case. Hope to install this weekend.

IMG_6165.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
My PTC parts arrived for the diff breathers. The 2-to-1 outlet will connect both lines from the diffs and be secured high in the engine bay (against the firewall/bulkhead most likely). The breather fitting will attach to the threaded portion to keep spiders and dust out.

At the rear diff I plan to use the 90def. fitting to avoid the exhaust, and possibly the straight fitting in front. But I bought 2x straight and 2x 90deg. just in case. Hope to install this weekend.

View attachment 7844085
Hi Tom109, Like the way your going with this, please post install photos and instructions if you can along with where to purchase everything.
I know it often takes more time to document than to do the install, so thanks in advance if you can find the time to do so.
DaBull

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7844085
I think you will struggle screwing in the 90 to the the diff

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
I think you will struggle screwing in the 90 to the the diff
The 90 swivels, so you only tighten the nut. The only downside to the 90 is routing the rear airline on the RH side of the vehicle (I envisioned them both on the LH side).

Land Raver

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I ran a simple calculation using Boyle's Law. The pressure difference using a 40 degree Fahrenheit (Sorry rest of the world) should be less than 1 psi. That's not much of a vacuum.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
The 90 swivels, so you only tighten the nut. The only downside to the 90 is routing the rear airline on the RH side of the vehicle (I envisioned them both on the LH side).
Ah, nice. I know when I installed my breathers there is not a lot of room to to screw a 90 fitting. The swivel makes sense.

Regarding running it, routing down the passenger (LHS) side, for us RHD vehicles was pretty easy. Follow the locker wire back if you have them. Back basically trailing arm to chassis , with other lines on chassis and up into engine bay.

I'd post some pictures of mine but it is still at dealers waiting for the body control module to be replaced and programmed, fingers crossed by this afternoon. Its going on 2 weeks now.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
today I've mounted the diff breathers:

Attachments

• tempImage7ZdAR3.jpg
    tempImage7ZdAR3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • tempImage3tRKQ8.jpg
    tempImage3tRKQ8.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
  • tempImageFVAZfs.jpg
    tempImageFVAZfs.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
  • tempImageSNZbCN.jpg
    tempImageSNZbCN.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • tempImagexTG6Wu.jpg
    tempImagexTG6Wu.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
  • tempImagejKktmq.jpg
    tempImagejKktmq.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67
  • tempImageAjTNzn.jpg
    tempImageAjTNzn.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • tempImagen2fvAa.jpg
    tempImagen2fvAa.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 70

bnebenda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
today I've mounted the diff breathers:
The thread in the diff housing is 10x1 parallel or 10x1 conic? Which size did you choose for the thread after the adapter? Any info on middle gear box or auto gear boc regarding breathers?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thread in the diff housing is 10x1 parallel or 10x1 conic? Which size did you choose for the thread after the adapter? Any info on middle gear box or auto gear boc regarding breathers?

it's a normal 10x1 thread in Italy. I presume parallel.

the adapter is a 10x1 metric to 1/4 gas.

I still don’t understand if gearbox and transfer case has breathers. even if there were, they would be much higher than the differentials.

bnebenda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
it's a normal 10x1 thread in Italy. I presume parallel.
From the pictures it looks like you were using patchlock / loctiite? Did the original vents have any kind of (metal) seal or did you observe traces of patchlock? Did they come off easily?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the original vents were attached without threadlocker and with very low torque.

I mounted the new fittings with engine sealant but they were already equipped with o-rings. No metal seal.

bnebenda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the original vents were attached without threadlocker and with very low torque.

I mounted the new fittings with engine sealant but they were already equipped with o-rings. No metal seal.
From all I know about port sealing, if there is no taper on the male side then there must be a seal (either polymer or metal). On the pictures I found so far, the original breathers have no seal, hence I would assume they were tapered, howvever the bore could still be parallel. If you could insert your (parallel) adapter all the way, I would suspect the port is parallel in which case you can install a tapered breather without seal or a parallel breather but then yu need a seal (probably for a differntial I would use a metal seal).

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
let's remember, however, that this system does not have compressed air inside, so in my opinion a little sealant is more than enough.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
good to know, I hadn't noticed

However, traditional threading does not have insertion problems

Back
Top Bottom