The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Conversion to a fire engine

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello to the forum.

First of all: Since my English is not so good, I wrote the text in German and had Google Translator translated. Maybe it reads a little bumpy. I apologize for that.

Here is a short conversion report.

Before the questions come about how: is he allowed to do that? Is that legal? Yes, my function at the fire brigade is linked to a justification for special signals in road traffic.

My previous vehicle was a 5 Series BMW that was equipped with special signals and radio. Since the BMW was replaced by the Grenny, the Grenny also had to be converted.
It should be installed:
• Removable roofing lights with front-flashers and rear-flashers
• Martinshorn
• Digital radio
• Analog radio

First I had to make space for the expansion. Seat and back seat, the floor cladding out, a large part of the side cladding out. At the front I dismantled the grille. The control unit should be mounted under the back seat, as well as the analog radio. The operating devices and the digital radio should be on the dashboard. Then cables were first pulled, the compressor for the Martinshorn in the engine compartment was installed and the Martinshörner assembled on the auxiliary frames in the radiator grille. Then I installed the front- and rear-flashers and installed the connection for the roofing blue light into the B-pillar on the driver's side. Through the B-pillar on the passenger side I pulled the antenna cables and installed the antennas on the roof. The digital radio antenna is kept on the roof by magnet, I mounted the analog radio antenna on the roof rail. After I had connected everything to the control unit and relays, it was time for a final test and the reinstallation of the interior cladding and the seats.
Now the whole thing still has to be done by the TÜV (Association for technical review). I already contacted an examiner in advance, so that the acceptance should not be a major problem.

You can see the result in the pictures.

I also have a short video.

All in all, it was a nice "handicraft experience". The Grenny is structured in such a way that I was able to carry out the conversions even without a workshop manual. Nevertheless, I expect Ineos to be his word and make the blueprints and spare parts lists accessible to us!

Greetings, Helge

IMG_4192_kl.jpg

Attachments

• 20230904_143701.jpg
    20230904_143701.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 20230910_140403.jpg
    20230910_140403.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 195
  • 20230910_140406.jpg
    20230910_140406.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4175_kl.jpg
    IMG_4175_kl.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4201_kl.jpg
    IMG_4201_kl.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You did an astonishing good job! I really like that it is not to obvious without the LEDs flashing blue. The "Feuerwehr-Logo" print on the spare wheel cover looks damn good (especially with the red frame!)

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Give this man his award please of: “The coolest Gren around “

Good job my friend .

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello to the forum.

First of all: Since my English is not so good, I wrote the text in German and had Google Translator translated. Maybe it reads a little bumpy. I apologize for that.

Here is a short conversion report.

Before the questions come about how: is he allowed to do that? Is that legal? Yes, my function at the fire brigade is linked to a justification for special signals in road traffic.

My previous vehicle was a 5 Series BMW that was equipped with special signals and radio. Since the BMW was replaced by the Grenny, the Grenny also had to be converted.
It should be installed:
• Removable roofing lights with front-flashers and rear-flashers
• Martinshorn
• Digital radio
• Analog radio

First I had to make space for the expansion. Seat and back seat, the floor cladding out, a large part of the side cladding out. At the front I dismantled the grille. The control unit should be mounted under the back seat, as well as the analog radio. The operating devices and the digital radio should be on the dashboard. Then cables were first pulled, the compressor for the Martinshorn in the engine compartment was installed and the Martinshörner assembled on the auxiliary frames in the radiator grille. Then I installed the front- and rear-flashers and installed the connection for the roofing blue light into the B-pillar on the driver's side. Through the B-pillar on the passenger side I pulled the antenna cables and installed the antennas on the roof. The digital radio antenna is kept on the roof by magnet, I mounted the analog radio antenna on the roof rail. After I had connected everything to the control unit and relays, it was time for a final test and the reinstallation of the interior cladding and the seats.
Now the whole thing still has to be done by the TÜV (Association for technical review). I already contacted an examiner in advance, so that the acceptance should not be a major problem.

You can see the result in the pictures.

I also have a short video.

All in all, it was a nice "handicraft experience". The Grenny is structured in such a way that I was able to carry out the conversions even without a workshop manual. Nevertheless, I expect Ineos to be his word and make the blueprints and spare parts lists accessible to us!

Greetings, Helge

View attachment 7826631
That looks very tidy. Great job.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Well done!

And it doesn't ruin the look of the Grenadier if used off-duty. (y)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Question: Is that a compressed air siren?
If yes: Where was the compressor installed and what type is it?

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Question: Is that a compressed air siren?
If yes: Where was the compressor installed and what type is it?
Yes, it's a compressed air siren. Good old Max-B.Martin Horn.
Anything electrical world sound ridiculous at this car😉.
The compressor is mounted over the steering gear in the engine bay. It was the only place I've found big enough for installation.

20230918_065438.jpg

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As far as I know the TUV in Germany will never ever allows Martinshorn and blue flashing signs on top of private cars. This is only dedicated to police and fire department cars or other official cars (BOS).
See link https://www.24auto.de/news/polizei-...cht-privatfahrzeug-auto-stau-zr-91699230.html
Or is this car officially registered as a fire brigade car and belongs to a fire department like the car for the Ennepetal fire department?
Hand held radio-operations are forbidden in Germany as well in the car during driving, unless you use VOX.
But maybe the clocks tick differently in Bavaria :) Let me know what the outcome from the Bavarian TUV will be.
I prefer the yellow round light, which I can use in emergency situations without any problems. I can legally control the operation of my radios with VOX while driving.

Attachments

• My Grenny.pdf
    394 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please read my second Paragraph.
I'm allowed to do so, as long as I'm a Kreisbrandmeister.
The TÜV is fine with the modification.

P.S.: Not every fire car is red😉

Last edited:

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ah ok, didn´t know/read that. Due to the color the car looks to me more for private use. Very fine.
So MIL 1-4 is the official registration?
Did you do it all by your own or did you get some support from a company (like LUEG for the Ennepetal car)?
gren_essen_ennepetal.jpg

Last edited:

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To explain it a little bit: the vast majority of fire fighters in germany/bavaria are volunteers. As we are in duty for the government as a member of the Kreisbrandinspektion we use our private cars to get to the scene, therefore we are allowed to use blue-light and siren. The blue light permission ist handled very restrictiv by the goverment, so only comrades in "Führungsdienst" will get it. It is also limited to 500 persons all over bavarian. Most of my comrades form the Kreisbrandinspektion, who are also allowed to use blue light, use something like this: Aufsetzanlagen, but this would look ridiculous on top of the Grenny.

You´ve mentioned the colour: indeed it should be red (RAL 3000). "Should" is "must" if "able". If red isn´t able, you must make your organisation clear (fire-department, THW, Red Cross) by a sign, so i have the german fire-fighter icon on the spare wheel and "Feuerwehr" under the license plate.

"MIL 1-4" is my radio callsign. Most of the "common red" fire engines have their call-signs writen on the front screen. It isn´t a must for my car, but i like it.

Now to GEWA/Lueg: I´ve met a key account from GEWA at the Rettmobil in Fulda. They were very interessted in building up my car, especially as LUEG is a Ineos Retailer.
Long Story told short, they didn´t managed to do my car in the agreed time (it was the hole july). Next time slot they´ve gave me was "sometime" next year. I´ve requested two other companies: one didn´t answered, the other told me perhaps in two years. So I decided to do it on my own. Didn´t regret it and saved me a lot of money.

Last edited:

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To explain it a little bit: the vast majority of fire fighters in germany/bavaria are volunteers. As we are in duty for the government as a member of the Kreisbrandinspektion we use our private cars to get to the scene, therefore we are allowed to use blue-light and siren. The blue light permission ist handled very restrictiv by the goverment, so only comrades in "Führungsdienst" will get it. It is also limited to 500 persons all over bavarian. Most of my comrades form the Kreisbrandinspektion, who are also allowed to use blue light ,use something like this: Aufsetzanlagen, but this would look ridiculous on top of the Grenny.

You´ve mentioned the colour: indeed it should be red (RAL 3000). "Should" is "must" if "able". If red isn´t able, you must make your organisation clear (fire-department, THW, Red Cross) by a sign, so i have the german fire-fighter icon on the spare wheel an "Feuerwehr" under the license plate.

"MIL 1-4" is my radio callsign. Most of the "common red" fire engines have their call-signs writen on the front screen. It isn´t a must for my car, but i like it.

Now to GEWA/Lueg: I´ve met a key account from GEWA at the Rettmobil in Fulda. They were very interessted in building up my car, especially as LUEG is a Ineos Retailer.
Long Story told short, they didn´t managed to do my car in the agreed time (it was the hole july). Next time slot they´ve gave me was "sometime" next year. I´ve requested two other companies: one didn´t answered, the other told me perhaps in two years. So I decided to do it on my own. Didn´t regret it and saved me a lot of money.
That´s great, many thanks for the explanation.
I like your radio call sign. My one for amateur radio is DF5XV, for CB and PMR I use "India Golf Zwo" on Ch16.
My father was with the police in Muenster/Westfalia. He always used "Moritz" and "Florian". But this was in the late 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom