The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas B58 Gasoline Engine LPG Conversion?

DaveKop

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has looked into doing an LPG conversion of the Grenadier yet? Prins Autogas talks about B58 conversion unit but the website info seems to be outdated:

They do seem to have a working prototype at least:

I have a gasoline Grenadier on order and would love to find a way to increase range and reduce fuel cost but it brings into question of where to place the tank

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Ineos will void the warranty in case of an LPG-converion.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
The bigger problem is LPG is becoming less popular and fewer filling stations are offering it. There are a number of country towns in W.A. which no longer have LPG available. One person I know has to drive 50 km to refuel, as none of the filling stations in his town has an LPG bowser any more.

cheers
Steve

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
A fuelcost of € 2800 instead of € 8000 ( 30k km/ year) would make it a rather interesting
LPG conversions aren't a big thing in the UK and there are probably less now that 20 years ago. Haven't seen any service stations selling it in the north of the UK. It was popular with Range Rovers that had the old V8 but the decline of the old rover v8 put pay to that conversion.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
LPG conversions aren't a big thing in the UK and there are probably less now that 20 years ago. Haven't seen any service stations selling it in the north of the UK. It was popular with Range Rovers that had the old V8 but the decline of the old rover v8 put pay to that conversion.

Agreed, they are getting less and less now. I had an old Land Rover 110 years ago that I converted to LPG. It was probably at its height of popularity back then, about 2002-2003.

I hardly see LPG prices advertised any more and where I used to buy it from as has long since packed up supplying it.

Where a tank would go underneath is a mystery and I certainly wouldn’t mount it inside.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As far as I know the convertion to LPG is harder with turbo charged petrol engines. The might need a cooling system for the valves as the temperature with LPG gets to high. Thats why it is not as interesting anymore to convert the cars here in Germany at least.
Might not be a problem in countries where there is a slightly lower speed limit than here...

Local time
Reaction score
As far as I know the convertion to LPG is harder with turbo charged petrol engines. The might need a cooling system for the valves as the temperature with LPG gets to high. Thats why it is not as interesting anymore to convert the cars here in Germany at least.
Might not be a problem in countries where there is a slightly lower speed limit than here...
Lpg-cars get equipped with a lubrication system for the valves, this should be fine now. On the other hand, i'm not willing to throw away 5 years of waranty :)

DaveKop

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I agree with most of the points. Moderns LPG systems are actually fairly sophisticated and solve for most of the known shortcomings mentioned here, making any real risks truly minimal, even at high perf loads, especially if the owner understands how the system operates and acts accordingly.
They are still quite common in the central-eastern parts of Europe. Fill up stations are everywhere.

But the demand is evidently not as big as it would need to be as Prins hasn't taken their dedicated system for BMW engines to production yet.

In general, I think having a diverse selection of usable fuels is a smart strategy looking forward.

Personally, I liked the notion of having a 90L Gasoline tank for short to medium trip needs and switching on a modern LPG system for long cruises on the freeway with a heavy trailer, extending the range for a fraction of fuel price while still enjoying the superior (to me) dynamic and acoustic properties of the gas engine.

But I understand it might not be possible in terms of tank placement in the Grenadier. The only spot I thought of was to remove the muffler behind the rear axle and route the exhausts to the side (G-wagon style). But, not sure if that even works.

I took a great deal of deliberation before finally ordering a gasoline version of the Grenadier. It's the right choice for me. I currently have a current X5 with the same B58 engine and simply love it. It's such a wonderful engine.
I had a 4x4 Sprinter van set up for long trips off the beaten path, but sold it two years ago in favor of the Grenadier + cargo trailer when needed.
Towing the cargo trailer with the gasser though is a pain in terms of range. I guess it's "suck it up, buttercup" :). That's ok! Worth it.

Thanks for all the input!

Local time
Reaction score
I contacted the Belgian importer of Prins LPG-systems, they told me that they can provide a suited system.
The only thing that that really holds me back is the warranty issue.

DaveKop

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I contacted the Belgian importer of Prins LPG-systems, they told me that they can provide a suited system.
The only thing that that really holds me back is the warranty issue.
Interesting! Where would you personally put the tank?

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
The B58 is a highly tuned piece of kit. This is a top end and expensive petrol motor. I cannot imagine how you could convert it to LPG without problems. Problems that would likely cost more than the the cheaper fuel is worth. Then there is the issue of reduced cargo space with the LPG tank.
You used to be able to buy factory duel fuel, LPG/petrol, vehicles in Australia 20+ years ago. Their is a reason why this was abandoned, after only a few years.

Back
Top Bottom