The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Connecting a 2000W Inverter

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks time, I will be taking my Grenadier to my auto electrician to have some work done, including connecting up a CTEK D250SE, wiring up an Engel drawer fridge to the consumers output of my 120S, and installing a 2000W inverter.

He has already had a look at the existing wiring in my Trialmaster Utility Wagon, and like me, is getting his head around the particular way that second battery system has been implemented by Ineos.

From the electrics experts here, I would appreciate any advice you may have on this proposal … I’m thinking of asking him to wire up the inverter to the spare space available on the smaller Littelfuse busbar (appropriately fused), effectively connecting it to the main battery (which is “supported” by the auxiliary battery). My reasoning is that this would be in keeping with the way other high load equipment (such as winch) is wired up from factory.

I’m also really keen to find out how Ineos wire up their 2000W inverter, which I understand will at some stage be an available option.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might I suggest "waiting a bit" before attaching anything to the " consumer" output terminal of the Smartpass120s. Can't say more ATM but there's been some developments/reappraisal in regard to the use of that specific SMP120s output terminal in the Grenadier. You might be better off in the meantime taking the 12v supply for the Engel directly from the aux. battery main terminals.😉

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might I suggest "waiting a bit" before attaching anything to the " consumer" output terminal of the Smartpass120s. Can't say more ATM but there's been some developments/reappraisal in regard to the use of that specific SMP120s output terminal in the Grenadier. You might be better off in the meantime taking the 12v supply for the Engel directly from the aux. battery main terminals.😉

Thanks for the tip. ✅ I was wondering why later deliveries than mine do not have the consumers output on the 120S, but I thought that if I had it, it would work as described in the supplied manual. 😬

Any thoughts on attaching my inverter to the Littelfuse terminals?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. ✅ I was wondering why later deliveries than mine do not have the consumers output on the 120S, but I thought that if I had it, it would work as described in the supplied manual. 😬

There's a prospect that earlier vehicles such as ours will have the consumer output terminal removed during a scheduled service as part of a "recall"...🙈🙉🙊I'm invoking the Sgt Shulz defence here. " I know nothing!"

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Sorry Michael, I truly haven't got my head around the Littelfuse arrangements.
A 2000w inverter is a serious capability requiring a decent flow of Amps and offers all sorts of possibilities especially with (say) 200AH of lightweight LiFePO4 batteries. I'm seriously considering keeping that side of things separate from the main Grenadier system and using my existing Projecta 25A Li DC-DC charger on a scaled up 100AH Li setup I built before I bought into the Grenadier dream!
What I can't fathom is the vast disparity in price of 2000w or even 3000w inverters from (say the auto supacentre) for less than $200 while other brands are closer to A$1000!!

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry Michael, I truly haven't got my head around the Littelfuse arrangements.
A 2000w inverter is a serious capability requiring a decent flow of Amps and offers all sorts of possibilities especially with (say) 200AH of lightweight LiFePO4 batteries. I'm seriously considering keeping that side of things separate from the main Grenadier system and using my existing Projecta 25A Li DC-DC charger on a scaled up 100AH Li setup I built before I bought into the Grenadier dream!
What I can't fathom is the vast disparity in price of 2000w or even 3000w inverters from (say the auto supacentre) for less than $200 while other brands are closer to A$1000!!

It’s interesting that a 400W inverter is already showing as an option on the configurator in some markets, with talk of a 2000W on the way. I’m guessing they will be wired to the Littelfuse terminals, but some details would be very helpful for us. 🙂

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
It’s interesting that a 400W inverter is already showing as an option on the configurator in some markets, with talk of a 2000W on the way. I’m guessing they will be wired to the Littelfuse terminals, but some details would be very helpful for us. 🙂
Rumor has it the 2000W is already implemented for the North American Grenadier.

IMG_4773.jpeg

Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
2000W inverter will be drawing around 240amps at full power. Will need some decent cables and fuses.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That 240v outlet sitting right where some curious small child might poke something in. Is it RCD protected?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Furthermore, using an inverter in a caravan to power a 240V power point (GPO) requires the GPO switch to be a double-poled type under NSW regs. at least.
I haven't checked this personally... there are references however to Enerdrive and Projecta inverters indicating they have a built-in RCD on some models...

Local time
Reaction score
Furthermore, using an inverter in a caravan to power a 240V power point (GPO) requires the GPO switch to be a double-poled type under NSW regs. at least.
I haven't checked this personally... there are references however to Enerdrive and Projecta inverters indicating they have a built-in RCD on some models...
Pretty sure that is every 240v switch in a caravan needs to be double pole under Aust Standards

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There's a prospect that earlier vehicles such as ours will have the consumer output terminal removed during a scheduled service as part of a "recall"...🙈🙉🙊I'm invoking the Sgt Shulz defence here. " I know nothing!"
Wow, I wasn’t expecting that! If so they are presumably going to swap out our “retail” 120S for the current “IA Special” which doesn’t have the consumer output terminal. Have to say I’m struggling with why IA would do this though.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s interesting! I’ve already connected my fridge to the smartpass and won’t be near my dealer for a few months now. If I get a recall or notification then I will move the fridge feed to a different supply. For now I’ll use it until I hear otherwise. 👍🏼

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s interesting! I’ve already connected my fridge to the smartpass and won’t be near my dealer for a few months now. If I get a recall or notification then I will move the fridge feed to a different supply. For now I’ll use it until I hear otherwise. 👍🏼

So your fridge connected to the consumers output of the SmartPass is working as expected?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

It seems it does, in the sense we've all seen photos with things wired off it; and so far I've not seen any reports of people with issues with it not working.

My only concern would be whether the new software update could have any impact on the existing functionality of the Smartpass (although that seems remote)?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos will have to be more forthcoming with information for us to make an informed decision as to whether we would want to allow this or not. At the end of the day, no "recall" can be actioned without the owner's consent, can it?

If this story does have legs, is it a further indication that the software/electronics design really was immature and not ready for market?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos will have to be more forthcoming with information for us to make an informed decision as to whether we would want to allow this or not. At the end of the day, no "recall" can be actioned without the owner's consent, can it?

If this story does have legs, is it a further indication that the software/electronics design really was immature and not ready for market?
I certainly hope they do not remove mine without my consent and without a significant rationale. I have wired a lead with an Anderson plug to mine and it is live and works. Whether or not it causes any issues is the question. But mine came with a normal looking smartpass including the consumer port and also a manual that clearly instructs you to wire your fridge to it. If there is a problem with doing that INEOS had better tell us about it quickly because as far as I am concerned I am following the instructions in the manual supplied with my vehicle.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I certainly hope they do not remove mine without my consent and without a significant rationale. I have wired a lead with an Anderson plug to mine and it is live and works. Whether or not it causes any issuee is the question. But mine cane with a normal looking smartpass including the consumer port and also a manual that clearly instructs you to wire your fridge to it. If there is a problem with doing that INEOS had better tell us about it quickly because as far as I am concerned I am following the instructions in the manual supplied with my vehicle.
Exactly me to 👍🏼

JamesDSA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
Our early-build diesel Trialmaster recently went in for the software "upgrade", engine map update, various "recall" items and fitment of some long-delayed accessories.

One of the recalls involved fitting a plug (with superglue) and a warning label to that consumer outlet on the Ctek 120S. Our service manager said that the Ineos system is not compatible with that outlet being used.

Attachments

• 20231028_110354.jpg
    20231028_110354.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom