The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK Smartpass 120S smart alternator feed

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
can someone with dual batteries/ auxiliary wiring loom and the CTEK Smartpass 120S factory fitted please answer a very simple question?
is the smart alternator feed wire out of the Smartpass 120S connected or not?
In the test vehicle in my local dealership, it is not but when I asked our very IA knowledgeable customer support folks, they rambled on about nullifying the warranty, the dealer disconnecting the battery to save it etc. they did however, tell me a UK spec. Vehicle has a smart alternator so according to the CTEKwiring diagram, it should be connected but to where?
would greatly appreciate a response from someone prepared to look under their back seat for me!

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
it is not connected in the delivered IG 2023 version I use.
Do not know why. After CTEK manual I would route the device configuration for the smart alternator to a ignition ON or + DIN15 connection point.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
can someone with dual batteries/ auxiliary wiring loom and the CTEK Smartpass 120S factory fitted please answer a very simple question?
is the smart alternator feed wire out of the Smartpass 120S connected or not?

In the test vehicle in my local dealership, it is not but when I asked our very IA knowledgeable customer support folks, they rambled on about nullifying the warranty, the dealer disconnecting the battery to save it etc. they did however, tell me a UK spec. Vehicle has a smart alternator so according to the CTEKwiring diagram, it should be connected but to where?
would greatly appreciate a response from someone prepared to look under their back seat for me!
No it is not connected from factory, this appears to be a deliberate choice by INEOS, would be great to have an explanation of why but INEOS has really done a terrible job of explaining this system and its operating philosophy and details.

Last edited:

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this baffles me and I did ask but got the verbal diahorria back!
my next question is,where does your +feed from the primary battery go to , it seems to the buzz bar then onto the 120S?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, I won the battle concerning the first answer above :devilish: :ROFLMAO:
But, joking aside, we still don't know why! This has been asked, investigated, questioned, by several since the very beginning of Grenadier deliveries. Ineos? An answer? Ineos lurkers? An answer please?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And for your information @Scotsitalian and others, there are anonymous Ineos people watching this forum, they learn from us, early users and guinea pigs, but we don't get any return :mad:
This was even confirmed by my dealer and some other people!
Absolutely. And it is very frustrating for us and while my dealer has been very careful not to say anything out loud, I am 100% sure it is also very frustrating for them as well, as they also get limited information and there is even less they are authorized to pass on to customers yet they have to field these questions from customers over and over again and most if the time you ask questions of INEOS customer service their response is that you should ask your dealer.

If there is one thing that if someone asks me would I recommend they buy a Grenadier that would sway me to say no, it is this lack of communication and openness about this stuff which is particularly galling when the whole principle as stated by Sir Jim and their early marketing was that they recognized that customers would want to work on and customise their cars themselves. I can live with the early niggles, I expected that, my agent has been fabulous about getting these sorted quickly with no fuss. I can live with the wait for the software update, although I hope that can be done soon, we have waited a long time now. I love the look and drive of my car, the steering doesn’t bother me, the foot hump I don’t love but can live with. But the lack of information and responsiveness from INEOS headquarters really pisses me off.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely. And it is very frustrating for us and while my dealer has been very careful not to say anything out loud, ...

If there is one thing that if someone asks me would I recommend they buy a Grenadier that would sway me to say no, it is this lack of communication and openness about this stuff which is particularly galling when the whole principle as stated by Sir Jim and their early marketing was that they recognized that customers would want to work on and customise their cars themselves. I can live with the early niggles, I expected that,

I expected that too

my agent has been fabulous about
My agent hasn't been fabulous, you are lucky!

I am pissed off by my Agent and Ineos, ...

But the car is fabulous in performance (if you forget water infiltrations, software fake warnings, and some other technical problems)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I expected that too

My agent hasn't been fabulous, you are lucky!

I am pissed off by my Agent and Ineos, ...

But the car is fabulous in performance (if you forget water infiltrations, software fake warnings, and some other technical problems)
Yes your dealer has been atrocious, I and the other Sydney customers (and I think most Australian customers) have been very lucky with the quality of our Agent support.

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I must confess to being baffled why IA fit a CTEKunit but do not follow the manufacturers guidance then ramble on about nullifying warranty!
CTEKvery clearly state connection of the smart alternator feed for a vehicle with one!
my other concern is the auxiliary battery will be a 95Ah Varta gel battery but the primary battery is not!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I must confess to being baffled why IA fit a CTEKunit but do not follow the manufacturers guidance then ramble on about nullifying warranty!
CTEKvery clearly state connection of the smart alternator feed for a vehicle with one!
my other concern is the auxiliary battery will be a 95Ah Varta gel battery but the primary battery is not!
Eh? Both batteries are equal, or am I wrong? (too late to check, but almost sure concerning my car!)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The primary battery on the grenadier is a Moll 105ah EFB battery but I wanted to connecta 95Ah Varta gel battery through the Smartpass 120S as the auxiliary, is this OK?
In my vehicle with dual batteries both batteries are Moll 105ah EFB batteries. I don’t see any advantage in swapping it for a 95ah gel one, EFB is pretty good for this application. In theory I believe the Smartpass should be fine with the 95ah gel, in fact CTEK recommends that if the second battery is more than 100ah which the original one is, that the D250SE should be added so in theory your 95ah should be more compliant. But INEOS seems to break all the CTEK rules, so who knows with this system.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
The primary battery on the grenadier is a Moll 105ah EFB battery but I wanted to connecta 95Ah Varta gel battery through the Smartpass 120S as the auxiliary, is this OK?
Don't connect or cut the red wire or else.....Although I am not an auto electrician, from everything I have read about the CTEK 120S is do not connect the red wire. No one really know why other then do not connect it, LOL. DaBull

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry guys, mislead you.
my vehicle was offered to me after I cancelled my original order.
It has the auxiliary wiring loom and front winch but no auxiliary battery nor Smartpass 120S so I’m going to retrofit it to give me the extra power and peace of mind.
Moll batteries are hard to find in the Uk and and also inferior performance to AGM so my thoughts were to fit a Varta 95 aH gel battery as the second auxiliart battery with the Smartpass 120S ?
not sure if this is OK to do?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry guys, mislead you.
my vehicle was offered to me after I cancelled my original order.
It has the auxiliary wiring loom and front winch but no auxiliary battery nor Smartpass 120S so I’m going to retrofit it to give me the extra power and peace of mind.
Moll batteries are hard to find in the Uk and and also inferior performance to AGM so my thoughts were to fit a Varta 95 aH gel battery as the second auxiliart battery with the Smartpass 120S ?
not sure if this is OK to do?
I can’t say whether the AGM auxiliary battery would be fine or not, but the dual battery set up as supplied by Ineos works fine so far in my vehicle under arduous conditions. Over 40c heat. Fridge at 0c battery never been below 80% charge although I don’t know if that % charge is correct. Have disconnected batteries at various points for shipping and various works and all good.
Im Sure you could get a MOLL battery to match. Try an Ineos dealer although may be pricey.
My thought with the battery set up is to keep it as I Ineos intended until we understand more how it works and is put together. Who knows Ineos may come clean and give us the diagrams and workshop manuals soon 🤔

Back
Top Bottom