The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery post wiring options – add your suggestions

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
UNILUG
One thing I hope to do is upgrade the battery terminals on the auxiliary battery using the Unilug. Full technical specifications for the Unilug here. The product guide will answer most of your questions aiout the Unilug.

Warning: the clearance on two seater models is less, so greater care maybe be required before installing the Unilug. I will use it on the positive and negative terminals. The Australian designed Unilug looks like this (my Blog has more detail here):
Unilug.jpg

BLUE SEA SYSTEMS TERMINAL MOUNT BUSBAR
That way I can configure the batter terminal I way I need. One terminal post will be a bolt rather than standard battery terminal post. On the positive bolt terminal which I will install a fused Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Block, letting me fuse small amp accessories at the battery (like my dashcam, etc). (There will still be room to add other cables on the bolt terminal.) The Blue Seas terminal looks like this:

5023.jpg

Specifications of the Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks are:
  • Max Amps per Circuit: 30 amps;
  • Max Amps per Block: 100 amps (so you could not use four 30 amp circuits);
  • Max Voltage: 32 volts;
  • Mounting: Clearance for 3/8" [M10] stud;
  • Screw Terminal Torque: 18 in-lb (2.03 Nm);
  • Screw Terminal Type: #8-32 Screws with captive star lock washer;
  • the busbar is tin plated copper.

I will use an unfused Blue Sea Systems Terminal Mount BusBar on the negative side, if needed.

BlueSae-BB2340-scaled.jpg

Specifications of the Blue Sea Systems unfused busbar are:
  • Maximum Voltage: 32V DC;
  • Continuous Rating:100 amps DC (The maximum current a switch is designed to conduct for an indefinite period.);
  • Bus Material: Tin-Plated Copper C11000;
  • Screw Terminal Torque: 18 in-lb (2.03 Nm);
  • Mounting: Clearance for 3/8" [M10] stud;
  • Screw Terminal Type: #8-32 Screws with captive star lock washer;
Blue Seas Systems does offer a combined package of the fused positive busbar and an unfused negative busbar here.

The Blue Seas Systems busbars, both fused and unfused, are tin plated copper.

My Blog post has more information on all three products here. Since writing, the Australian price of the Unilug (twin set) has gone up from AUD49 to AUD69.

For Australian owners, I noticed HSAUTOPARTS is offering the a positive Unilug and the BlueS eas Fused Busbar in combination for AUD79.95. Look here (image from their website). Warning: positive side only not positive and negative for the Unilug or Busbar.

Uni and BBSB.png

RAZED PRODUCTS BUSBAR
Razed Products has just announced another option, instead of the traditional busbar, called the Unifuse, using MIDI fuses. It comes in single, double, triple or four fuse version. It is nice to have choices.
385483264_17993974799266480_1706819055129037547_n.jpg

BUSBAR ANOTHER OPTION
You could also run a wire from the second battery to a new busbar, like the Littelfuse FHZ busbar, and wire the accessories off that busbar. The Littelfuse FHZ busbar is better suited to the accessories drawing higher amps, a smaller busbar may be suitable for smaller drain accessories like those from Blue Seas Systems.

Then find a a vehicle earth for the negative side of the circuit, or use an unfused Blue Sea Systems Terminal Mount BusBar.

Choose the system best suited to your needs.

CONCLUSION
I do like how the Unilug and the busbars have covers limiting accidental shorts.

Since writing that blog post, I can see a few more options are now available on eBay.

Post what you are using or intend to use.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS Thanks for the above. I think tapping the auxiliary battery terminals directly vs. the "consumer" port on the Smartpass 120s is probably a "cleaner" option.
Rather than connect my dashcam (Blackvue DR770X 2ch) to the auxiliary battery, I've decided to tap the fuses below the steering wheel, one for ignition on/off (FC14) for normal dashcam operation and the other (FC23) (rear outlet) for parking mode. Parking mode can then be activated/deactivated using the power switch in the overhead console...

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
UNILUG
One thing I hope to do is upgrade the battery terminals on the auxiliary battery using the Unilug. The Unilug is higher than the INEOS terminals, so I need to check clearances. I will use it on the positive and negative terminals. The Australian designed Unilug looks like this (my Blog has more detail here):
View attachment 7827850

That way I can configure the batter terminal I way I need. One terminal post will be a bolt rather than standard battery terminal post. On the positive bolt terminal which I will install a fused Blue Sea Systems Terminal Mount BusBar, letting me fuse small amp accessories at the battery (like my dashcam, etc). (There will still be room to add other cables on the bolt terminal.) The Blue Seas terminal looks like this:

View attachment 7827851

I will use an unfused Blue Sea Systems Terminal Mount BusBar on the negative side, if needed.

View attachment 7827852

My Blog post has more information on all three products here. Since writing, the Australian price of the Unilug (twin set) has gone up from AUD49 to AUD69.

I noticed HSAUTOPARTS is offering the a positive Unilug and the BlueS eas Fused Busbar in combination for AUD79.95. Look here (image from their website). Warning: positive side only not positive and negative for the Unilug or Busbar.

View attachment 7827858

Remember: Before buying the Unilug make sure you have enough clearance.

CONCLUSION
Since writing that blog post, I can see a few more options are now available on eBay.

There are some good products from Bussmann and Littelfuse also worth considering. Both have products that can offer a lower profile off the battery. PROLEC are a good source in Australia.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
UNILUG
One thing I hope to do is upgrade the battery terminals on the auxiliary battery using the Unilug. The Unilug is higher than the INEOS terminals, so I need to check clearances. I will use it on the positive and negative terminals. The Australian designed Unilug looks like this (my Blog has more detail here):
View attachment 7827850

That way I can configure the batter terminal I way I need. One terminal post will be a bolt rather than standard battery terminal post. On the positive bolt terminal which I will install a fused Blue Sea Systems Terminal Mount BusBar, letting me fuse small amp accessories at the battery (like my dashcam, etc). (There will still be room to add other cables on the bolt terminal.) The Blue Seas terminal looks like this:

View attachment 7827851

View attachment 7827852

I noticed HSAUTOPARTS is offering the a positive Unilug and the BlueS eas Fused Busbar in combination for AUD79.95. Look here (image from their website). Warning: positive side only not positive and negative for the Unilug or Busbar.

View attachment 7827858

Remember: Before buying the Unilug make sure you have enough clearance.

CONCLUSION

There is plenty of room for the Unilug two-up terminal.
The aux. battery terminals sit in "recessed" sections at respective corners such that the top surface of each terminal is virtually flush with the top surface of the rest of the battery. From "eyeballing" with a plastic ruler ;-) the terminals are about 25mm tall. The height of the Unilug two-up is 28mm. There is (almost) 30mm headroom above the top of the terminal to the surrounding covering. There is also sufficient space to accommodate the Unilug's 63mm horizontal reach.
There's a dimension schematic here: https://perthpro.com.au/products/unilug-two-up-battery-lug-kit-positive-hd

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is plenty of room for the Unilug two-in-one terminal.
The aux. battery terminals sit in "recessed" sections at respective corners such that the top surface of each terminal is virtually flush with the top surface of the rest of the battery. From "eyeballing" with a plastic ruler ;-) the terminals are about 25mm tall. The height of the Unilug two-in-one is 28mm. There is (almost) 30mm headroom above the top of the terminal to the surrounding covering. There is also sufficient space to accommodate the Unilug's 63mm horizontal reach.
There's a dimension schematic here: https://perthpro.com.au/products/unilug-two-up-battery-lug-kit-positive-hd
Thanks, words concerning clearance removed.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, words concerning clearance removed.
Those wth 2-seaters have to be more careful with clearance issues as the there is a smaller gap between the battery terminals and the metal battery compartment cover.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those wth 2-seaters have to be more careful with clearance issues as the there is a smaller gap between the battery terminals and the metal battery compartment cover.
Thanks, I just added word of caution for two seater owners. I already own a spare set of Unilugs from my Nissan Patrol days, so I do not need to buy them and then find out they do not fit.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have added more information and links to the original post.

Ineos4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
16957670468005539342154044979863.jpg
Bottom left, comes with ineos, connected to main battery (not additional secondary one). Asked auto elecrtrian to move to inside window and connect to second battery, he found it easier to simply add a new point and have that direct to second battery. Flaw with one install by ineos, is one connected to main, 2 protrudes too far when fridge connected directly

Attachments

• 16957672363371596977675731244340.jpg
    16957672363371596977675731244340.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 20

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not surprising, I was going to move the socket from the side up to the top, to make it more acessible (if the wiring allows this).

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Razed Products has just announced another option, instead of the traditional busbar, called the Unifuse, using MIDI fuses. It comes in single, double, triple or four fuse version. It is nice to have choices.

385483264_17993974799266480_1706819055129037547_n.jpg

The pricing is reasonable as it includes the fuse holders, busbar (for the 3 and 4 fuse versions) and the bracket, but no fuses.

Back
Top Bottom