The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Choosing a Color - Grenadier Colors in the Wild

Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Seen this at demo day. Great colour combo. It is a dark blue, but obv not black in daylight, roof very cool contrast. Lots of people making impressed noises. Think i remember the same level of appeal in a south african video a while back, turning heads. If you like it, you’ll like it- i think go with your gut feel and own it. They’re all pretty good colours….
All the dark colours off my list though; heat, and i prefer not to wash cars often (usually water restrictions on), so the dirt/dust tends to show.
Those scratches/dust issues are certainly things I’m weighing. Fortunately, I have time.

I’m curious about the comments about heat issues with darker colors. I get the fundament thermal science, but with a modern car, I’ve never had a dark car seem “hotter” than a light one during practical use. The interior is where I think there would be a difference plus the large windows on the Grenadier. Would tinting help more than a lighter color?

Last edited:

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Those scratches/dust issues are certainly things I’m weighing. Fortunately, I have time.

I’m curious about the comments about heat issues with darker colors. I get the fundament thermal science, but with a modern car, I’ve never had a dark car seem “hotter” than a light one during practical use. The interior is where I think there would be a difference plus the large windows on the Grenadier. Would tinting help more than a lighter color?
It doesnt bother lots of people, but….
In our climate, prob yours too there is a big surface temp difference between white and anything dark. That heat as you say is physics, and it has to contribute to cabin temp as the paint literally absorbs most solar enegrgy- dark colours above 90 percent. Heats the metal, it cant re-radiate much whilst in full sun as the air/surface temp gradient is lower than surface/interior, until the car is a slow cooker. Cars dont have much in the way of cavity insulation at all (for sound, yes, but not temp). Yes, Aircon can usually cope, but it takes longer, and it burns more energy to do it than needed otherwise. And more uv/ir damage too.
finally, here we are beginning to decide house roofs should all be white instead of super-dark (not there yet) and prob vehicles too should be.
yes, tinted glass helps, specifically athermic glass with IR reflectance high, visible tint not so important. But its a seperate effect. Both are good.
youre looking at a white roof- that’s the low hanging fruit.

rovingoz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Ask a roofer about black iron roofs vs white. You can walk (just) on the white roof in bare feet but the black will burn your feet. Glass on dark limo tint will also heat up more than say 35% tint. And the heat of course conducts through to the inner surfaces. Dark trailers/caravans I'll never understand, they suffer the same, all the cupboards inside close to the walls get very hot. This vid shows a white car bonnet vs black.
View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=lcaiwad2M-U&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
Can any of you getting a Britannia Blue vehicle post your reaction to the color once you see it in person (particularly with the white roof). I’m leaning towards this but on the fence, as it was more black than blue at my local event. Need help before it’s time to order in the states.

Thanks!
I do not think people can help you with that decision as color perception is subjective. So leaving all the dirt visibility and heat arguments aside, pick what you love.

I went for the BB one with white roof. Based in Germany. Touring northern Europe.

You can look for this number plate in the Ineos videos and marketing materials.

58545FD9-B3F6-4DCC-A973-15DE6636D807.jpeg

This is the BB and white color samples next to eachother at my dealer.

1738ED79-F31B-48B8-8B74-A341A2D7F7C8.jpeg

03F972DF-2CBC-40B9-A17A-D528809D3AA3.jpeg

But all this does not replace seeing it in person.

I personally decided not to overthink it as I never stood in front of a car of mine reflecting on color, but how to fit stuff in and on it, pull trees from the woods, …

And remember that you see the car from the inside for 99% of the time. ;)

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
BB at the PT-02 Test drive here in QLD. Midday Sun. This is about as accurate as my eye saw the colour on the day. Its a good blue, dark yes, but still definitely looks 'blue' to me on the day. Or is this another colour? :unsure:
1679229683709.jpeg

Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances on BB. At the Los Angeles event, the only vehicle was up on a rack, so all the reflection was coming from underneath and shadows, so it was hard to tell. The jerry can sample didn’t help much. @trobex that certainly looks how I would hope it looks. Much appreciated.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
I looked at the Ineos mini Gerry cans the other day and MM looked odd to say the least on a small sample. I know that I wouldn’t order that colour from looking at that sample but having seen the IG in the metal with MM it looks great imo.

I home our American friends get to see the colours properly before they have to order, as I don’t think I would have picked the colour I did, if I had seen them all in the flesh first.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I looked at the Ineos mini Gerry cans the other day and MM looked odd to say the least on a small sample. I know that I wouldn’t order that colour from looking at that sample but having seen the IG in the metal with MM it looks great imo.

I home our American friends get to see the colours properly before they have to order, as I don’t think I would have picked the colour I did, if I had seen them all in the flesh first.
I'm with you on that. I don't think the jerry cans reflect the true vehicle colours. Don't know what it is because they must use the same paint codes. We were at a drive day and the cans inside didn't match the cars that were outside.
I just put it down to the surface area they covered. Thing is delaying an order to see one of the colours you like in the flesh may not be expedient.
The computer generated images are IMHO all lighter. I think if you make a fundamental decision metallic or non-metallic then colour choice falls into place.

Last edited:

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
Well, after many thoughts iv just changed my order (in the nick of time as per our dealer) from white to mushroom… the Gerry cans helped but it was mainly the pictures of the MM color on the vehicle ! Black roof and a red ladder frame choices remained unchanged !
Choosing a color without seeing the vehicle or the colors live, is harder than my thesis paper back in uni!

CB

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I believe I saw all the colors at the Tampa Fl event ( Not sure if the green was there) and confirmed my choice of magic mushroom, I was debating between SW and MM. MM was actually darker in person than it appears on my computer/TV screen which I was happy to see. The colors definitely appear different in person. Some posts said the MM has a pink hue, however, I didn't notice it at all.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe I saw all the colors at the Tampa Fl event ( Not sure if the green was there) and confirmed my choice of magic mushroom, I was debating between SW and MM. MM was actually darker in person than it appears on my computer/TV screen which I was happy to see. The colors definitely appear different in person. Some posts said the MM has a pink hue, however, I didn't notice it at all.
Howdy CB,

I also decided on MM in advance. After seeing the car live and walking and driving around it most of the day, my decision has been confirmed. And yes, depending on the incidence of light and sunlight, it does have a slight pink tinge. But don't worry, it's not comparable to Dolly's lipstick. ;)

Keep it Country.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm struggling to decide upon a color and bet I'm not alone (currently debating Magic Mushroom, Sela Green, Brittannia Blue, and Scottish White). I thought it would be helpful to stake out a thread for folks to post high quality non-rendered videos of the different colors (and roof color combos) on the road, in the bush, etc. in a variety of lighting conditions.

So, to kick things off, here is a HD video of a Magic Mushroom Trialmaster in action that I stumbled across:

If you have found some similar quality videos for MM and the other colors, please share them here. Thanks!
I liked the Magic Mushroom until I saw it at the last driving event. A bit too much gray for me.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m debating between the silver or light blue with a white roof (classic color). Thoughts?
Not that my 2 cents is worth much, but function aside (keep roof cooler), I think the white roofs need good contrast to look good. So on silver I don't think it would pop enough, but I'm not sure on the lighter blue. But, on the dark blue and on the green the white roofs look fantastic!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think you can select white roof on silver, only black.

I think OP meant silver or blue/white

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have a nagging feeling that vehicles/clothing that look military make border crossings more difficult than they need be.
Not to mention a post-Middle East anxiety that one should avoid looking interesting from a hostile drone.

Other than such personal paranoia, the MM does look great! I reckon I’d go for this if not for international use.
I chose MM exactly for the military reason. I plan to apply some strategic applied decals. Maybe a fictional NGO (non profit). Like a “Moose Preservation Society”. One might choose Beaver or other threatened species;)
So I’m “leaning into it” with the official look.

Back
Top Bottom