The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

charging battery on camp sides or in garage

User1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

i would like to install some charger or have a charger in the car to easily connect for the following situations.

-During camping trips when i have the ability to use the electrical power from the camp side. here i would like to charge the batteries and during the same time the fridge is connected to the cars batteries
-when the car is parked for a longer period of time during the winter in the garage to ensure the batteries stay healthy

Because the car has the dual battery system im not sure if i can use a normal car battery charger and how/where it should be connected.
Has anyone already built something like this and can tell about it?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
-when the car is parked for a longer period of time during the winter in the garage to ensure the batteries stay healthy
I got a Victron IP65 15 amp charger that I used to top up my battery a little after delivery. I connected it under the hood to the positive jumper terminal and it took it from 84 to 95% in no time. I do have a hardwire kit that I plan to install under the rear seat to the battery terminals once I figure out if it should go to the service or starter battery.

Vote:
Upvote 0

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

i would like to install some charger or have a charger in the car to easily connect for the following situations.

-During camping trips when i have the ability to use the electrical power from the camp side. here i would like to charge the batteries and during the same time the fridge is connected to the cars batteries

Because the car has the dual battery system im not sure if i can use a normal car battery charger and how/where it should be connected.
Has anyone already built something like this and can tell about it?
I use a Ctec 10amp charger (MXS10) that I attach to the charging points under the bonnet (hood). As I understand it this charges both batteries. Works well

Vote:
Upvote 0

User1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the solution with the trailer plug😂

When i understand it correct i only need to connect it somehow to the main battery and dont need to worry about the second one.

And i can leave it connected to charge for a long time during a camping trip to ensure a fridge, lights, opening doors... Won't kill the battery

Vote:
Upvote 0

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the solution with the trailer plug😂

When i understand it correct i only need to connect it somehow to the main battery and dont need to worry about the second one.

And i can leave it connected to charge for a long time during a camping trip to ensure a fridge, lights, opening doors... Won't kill the battery
Yes and perhaps yes. If nothing has been changed with the Ineos set up... then the Aux battery is only there to assist the start battery basically - nothing draws directly from the Aux. If running a fridge etc the ctek multi stage charger should maintain the battery as long as all ancillary items don't exceed the max output of the charger. What I'm not sure of with the Ctek charger is if a the turning on cycle of the fridge will make the charger charge at max output each time, if so maybe this could have an effect but then it's only a small low amp charger. I once had a faulty 40amp charger that would kick into it's full charge cycle each time a fridge turned itself on.. ruined the batteries. Perhaps give your scenario to Ctek and see what they say..

Vote:
Upvote 0

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
What about using the NATO plug? It would seem a perfect solution for back feeding the batteries when in storage.

Vote:
Upvote 0

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about using the NATO plug? It would seem a perfect solution for back feeding the batteries when in storage.
Yes but it is normally open circuit when the vehicle is not running. There is a high power solenoid in the drivers side rear quarter panel (RHD vehicle at least) that needs to be switched on i.e. powering the winch, before you have power to the plug.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but it is normally open circuit when the vehicle is not running. There is a high power solenoid in the drivers side rear quarter panel (RHD vehicle at least) that needs to be switched on i.e. powering the winch, before you have power to the plug.
That’s what I thought. Key activated. So, exit only.

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken someone on here has done a simply bypass for the relay to the NATO plug socket to be constant on

Vote:
Upvote 0

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken someone on here has done a simply bypass for the relay to the NATO plug socket to be constant on
Yes I've done that and re-purposed the above head switch INT 1 and associated cable in the left footwell to turn on the solenoid/nato socket. So the nato is not constant on for my purpose but rather when I switch it on to provide power for caravan (and twin cylinder air compressor).

overhead switch1.jpg

Vote:
Upvote 0

Bookwood

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Actually I have been looking for the exact same thing as the thread starter. When staying at a campsite for 2-3 days, I would very much like to have an easy solution to have my car batteries charged while having the car itself closed. Is there any feasible way to install a charger (can be a fixed install) so that I can connect a power cable relatively easy (and without materially changing the car's electronics)? I plan on staying on campsites for up to 2-3 days. Thus, I am already considering a solar panel extension by adding a CTEK D250SE. However, it's not always sunny in Germany - so a backup may indeed be a good idea.

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Bookwood sure, something like the Victron IP67 chargers would well for your need, and offer up to 25A of charge

Vote:
Upvote 0

Bookwood

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Bookwood sure, something like the Victron IP67 chargers would well for your need, and offer up to 25A of charge
Maybe a stupid question: where does the cable go? Is there an Option to Install a waterproof socket so that I can Plug in a Power cable while the car is closed?

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question: where does the cable go? Is there an Option to Install a waterproof socket so that I can Plug in a Power cable while the car is closed?
You could run it along where some of the other factory wires go from the outside to inside (perhaps where the wiring for the NATO socket goes).

For the outside socket, I'm sure something exists, in the US the NOCO GCP1 is commonly used, but obviously isn't the right connector for Germany

Vote:
Upvote 0

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Actually I have been looking for the exact same thing as the thread starter. When staying at a campsite for 2-3 days, I would very much like to have an easy solution to have my car batteries charged while having the car itself closed. Is there any feasible way to install a charger (can be a fixed install) so that I can connect a power cable relatively easy (and without materially changing the car's electronics)? I plan on staying on campsites for up to 2-3 days. Thus, I am already considering a solar panel extension by adding a CTEK D250SE. However, it's not always sunny in Germany - so a backup may indeed be a good idea.
I'm using the 25amp roof socket for solar in, rewired to a D250SE - easy enough. Probably an even easier method would be if you have a solar panel with (quality) solar controller and then plug this into the hot 12+ and neg of the 13 pin trailer plug if you have this. I've wired my ctek 10amp maintenance charger in this manner and use as required.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I've installed this quick disconnect on a number of my vehicles, plan to do the same when the Grenadier arrives.

Hookup is just like any CTEK product only difference is mounting the plug somewhere externally on the vehicle (e.g. in grille or bumper) for easy access.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Solar is always a good option - I use this as my primary off grid charging source when stationary.

If your campsites have access to 220V you could use an AC charger but not hard mount it in your vehicle as this would restrict its capabilities. I would just mount an Anderson plug below the rear seat base and connect it to the positive and negative terminals of your starter battery. Then just run a power cable from the shore power and connect your AC charger. You can then charge your batteries of just use the charger as a power supply which will put out a constant 13.5V.

20240317_122119c.jpg

I would cut the clamp terminals on the charger output and replace it with an Anderson plug. I used a mini Anderson plug as my charger is only 15A and the mini Anderson is rated to 30A. The Plug above is rated to 50A.

20240317_122154c.jpg

I then used the clamps and added another mini Anderson plug so that the clamps are still useable.

20240317_122232c.jpgI also have mini Anderson to ring terminals and a variety of other connections so that the charger can be used for many different connections

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom