The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cargo Barrier in Australia

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Cargo Barrier - Help Wanted Please - I tried to move the cargo barrier to the position behind the front row of seats rather than the back row which is how it is delivered. It won't fit. The dealer is telling me that it is not intended to be there. However, there are the same mounting points on the roof for the front row as the back row of seats. It makes no sense that you can't move the barrier. I have a half height barrier.
If that is correct what are the forward roof mounts for?
Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Andrew, IIRC the front mounting points are for the cargo barrier fitted to the 2 seat N1 version. It is a full height barrier which has lower connection points closer to the floor and is shaped to take account of the rake of the front passenger seats in their normal position. There may be some photos in the early media files.
I share your frustration that it cannot be relocated behind the front seats.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Andrew, IIRC the front mounting points are for the cargo barrier fitted to the 2 seat N1 version. It is a full height barrier which has lower connection points closer to the floor and is shaped to take account of the rake of the front passenger seats in their normal position. There may be some photos in the early media files.
Yep, this is the case.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very annoying and not well thought out by Ineos. Equally disappointing is advice from the dealer that there is no barrier for the front mounts i.e. the two-seater. I don't know if there is an ADR that requires cargo barriers to comply with the Australian Standard but if there i would like to know as there is no label on the one that says it complies.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since there are no commercially available cargo barriers to go behind the front seats, I have started the journey of designing and building one. I will make it in accordance with the Australian Standard but i won't have it externally tested.

It should be relatively easy. Albeit, time consuming.

I can't bear the thought of doing a desert crossing or the Canning with the seats down and no barrier to stop stuff falling all over me. Never mind what happens if I have an accident.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hoping Kaon crack on and make a barrier/shelf etc.
The Ineos one is a bit generic, plus it's taking forever to get made for me anyway , so will bail if Kaon's on the ball.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since there are no commercially available cargo barriers to go behind the front seats, I have started the journey of designing and building one. I will make it in accordance with the Australian Standard but i won't have it externally tested.

It should be relatively easy. Albeit, time consuming.

I can't bear the thought of doing a desert crossing or the Canning with the seats down and no barrier to stop stuff falling all over me. Never mind what happens if I have an accident.
Shouldn’t be too hard. I probably wouldn’t even bother with lower mounting points the top ones will do the important job and the bottom would be held stable by the folded seats

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My factory cargo barrier, directly behind my front seats, is fantastic. I just need to fabricate a sliding door in it, so I can access the fridge.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My factory cargo barrier, directly behind my front seats, is fantastic. I just need to fabricate a sliding door in it, so I can access the fridge.
@Disco Dave ...did you buy the Trialmaster station wagon or the Trialmaster "Utility"
do you have the "full height" cargo barrier with the curved shape that takes account of the slope of the seat back rest?
any chance you could put up a pic of the barrier and of lower securing brackets?

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Disco Dave ...did you buy the Trialmaster station wagon or the Trialmaster "Utility"IMG_3402.jpeg
do you have the "full height" cargo barrier with the curved shape that takes account of the slope of the seat back rest?
any chance you could put up a pic of the barrier and of lower securing brackets?

Trialmaster 2 seater. The electrical box seems to go a bit further forward than in the 5 seater. The forward containment wall is about 150mm from the battery edge.IMG_3401.jpeg
IMG_3400.jpegIMG_3398.jpegIMG_3399.jpeg

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trialmaster 2 seater. The electrical box seems to go a bit further forward than in the 5 seater. The forward containment wall is about 150mm from the battery edge.View attachment 7838393
View attachment 7838388View attachment 7838389View attachment 7838390
I would love to get my hands on one of these. I believe they would be easy to modify for use in the five seater. I am thinking of using the bar that the seat cushion folds up oin. This would mean the seat cushion needs to be removed but that is OK for a long trip.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Must be the cage, as the 2-Seater is still available.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Disco Dave ..many thanks ! Most instructive. The utilisation of the 2nd row grab handle attachment point provides some confidence... and the shaping of the upper bracket, while necessary, could be considered to contribute to the effectiveness of the barrier in that under impact stress, energy would be expended deforming the brackets from their current shape into an approximate "straight line".
Attaching the readily available half height cargo barrier in a somewhat similar fashion and securing it with metal straps to the floor utilising the existing seat anchors may be feasible..
The photo below shows the cargo barrier in my late model Hyundai Santa Fe. In the bottom third of the barrier the extension straps are stored horizontally with Velcro on the barrier enabling it to be repositioned behind the front seats.
Note the "rippled" sections of the attachment straps which deform to absorb energy and decelerate the "load" during impact. There may be something off the shelf (attachment straps) from Milfords (https://www.milford.one/cargo-barrier/) which might assist....

20180319_162654.jpg

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The cage is also bolted to a point on the forward side of it, you will need to enlarge the photo. The ”rippled” section will not come into play until the forward fastener is sheared. Still, it is a robust arrangement.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
@Disco Dave ..many thanks ! Most instructive. The utilisation of the 2nd row grab handle attachment point provides some confidence... and the shaping of the upper bracket, while necessary, could be considered to contribute to the effectiveness of the barrier in that under impact stress, energy would be expended deforming the brackets from their current shape into an approximate "straight line".
Attaching the readily available half height cargo barrier in a somewhat similar fashion and securing it with metal straps to the floor utilising the existing seat anchors may be feasible..
The photo below shows the cargo barrier in my late model Hyundai Santa Fe. In the bottom third of the barrier the extension straps are stored horizontally with Velcro on the barrier enabling it to be repositioned behind the front seats.
Note the "rippled" sections of the attachment straps which deform to absorb energy and decelerate the "load" during impact. There may be something off the shelf (attachment straps) from Milfords (https://www.milford.one/cargo-barrier/) which might assist....

View attachment 7838408
I have the Milford barrier in my 200 series, it has the "wavy" straps and can be repositioned but extra parts are needed. One thing to note, and there is no mention of it in any literature from AI that I have seen regarding the rating of the barriers, either forward positioned or the half rear barrier. The one I have is rated to 60kgs (has one like the ADR tag pictured) and I have a feeling this is standard, so I'm not putting anything that even looks heavy behind my barrier (I have the half height) it will be behind the seat.

Attachments

• 4c00774d-a398-4302-b286-3d41a68a1b19.jpg
    4c00774d-a398-4302-b286-3d41a68a1b19.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 15

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On doing research to find a cargo barrier solution to go behind the front seats i have noted that all barriers that i have seen have an AS compliance tag on them along with a general warnings tag. I suspect that an AS compliant barrier is required under the standard to have the tag. I don't know if the barriers fitted in cars in Australia must be AS compliant or not but it is hard to imagine Ineos not doing that and the barrier is simply missing the tag if indeed the standard requires it.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can I please ask what the purpose of the cutouts is halfway up on each side?
The cutout goes around the internal ”passenger” door opening lever, allowing you to open the door from the inside. You can see it lined up in the last photo.

Back
Top Bottom