The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Configurator underpricing. Australia

rovingoz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
If 'rovingoz' above cancelled his current order and then orders again it seems he would save $3.5k
Yep, you read my mind. 😉
But, I think if you paid now at $118k you'd then get a 2nd $6k invoice on pickup for the accessories fitted by the dealer (some are factory fitted). This saves paying stamp duty on those items. If that's the case, it should be made abundantly clear when putting down a deposit, but there's zero mention of this when checking out. I think most would see $118k and just pay not thinking about it like you have, and then get a rude shock when the dealer emails the 6k invoice a week before pickup.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
Yep, you read my mind. 😉
But, I think if you paid now at $118k you'd then get a 2nd $6k invoice on pickup for the accessories fitted by the dealer (some are factory fitted). This saves paying stamp duty on those items. If that's the case, it should be made abundantly clear when putting down a deposit, but there's zero mention of this when checking out. I think most would see $118k and just pay not thinking about it like you have, and then get a rude shock when the dealer emails the 6k invoice a week before pickup.
I was told by my dealer that the IG invoice price was final, I had a different price on the configurator (cheaper) than the dealer 🤷‍♀️

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
But, I think if you paid now at $118k you'd then get a 2nd $6k invoice on pickup for the accessories fitted by the dealer (some are factory fitted).
I think you've nailed it. That's makes sense.
The only extra/accessory on my order that is factory supplied is the Magic Mushroom upgrade at $950. The rest are all fitted by the dealer as they have an asterisk. i.e. roo bar, side runners, side steps, checker plates, roof rails, cargo barrier, seat covers, mats.
So $7k minus $950 equals the missing ~$6k!
So the vehicle is actually costing me $124k. The $118k 'Drive Away Price' is technically correct.There should be a big asterisk somewhere in checkout that states,
'Dealer fitted accessories will be invoiced by the dealer to the purchaser following registration of the vehicle, these costs are in addition to the drive away price.

The only asterisk I see is this -
>>
† Prices shown are retail price including GST, excluding further taxes / duties and delivery charge. The price is subject to change and may vary by market.

Last edited:

rovingoz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I was told by my dealer that the IG invoice price was final, I had a different price on the configurator (cheaper) than the dealer 🤷‍♀️
I think that's because it's not stated when checking out that the online configurator's drive away price total actually excludes the cost of dealer fitted accessories, which are the ones marked with an asterisk when you're going through ticking boxes.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, that backs up what I said in my original post. When I simply add accessory costs to the base price then add stamp duty/on roads I'm up around $124k but checkout says $118k. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️
The final duty and taxes aren't added until you hit the place order button.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bottom line is, if it says ' drive away price' $118k at checkout then that is the price I expect to pay for the vehicle. I'm putting a deposit down based on the represented final price. If they come back later and say 'ah sorry that'll be another $6k thanks', I would tell them tough titties, you sold me the car at $118k.
If 'rovingoz' above cancelled his current order and then orders again it seems he would save $3.5k.
That is exactly what your contract is meant to show not an online configurator.
Most car manufacturers get you to put in your state or postcode so they can calculate the vagaries of our stupid stamp duty laws.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The final duty and taxes aren't added until you hit the place order button.
I've clicked through and filled out the fields on the 'Order Now' page but it still does not show the total cost of the vehicle I just built, see snapshot below. It is leaving off all dealer fitted accessories, about $6k worth in my case. All the stamp duty and GST is included though, it has to be to show a 'drive away price'. At this payment stage it should show the total price of the vehicle you are purchasing, but to save me paying stamp duty on the dealer fitted accessories it drops them off and they obviously invoice these later. Nowhere does it show what my vehicle will actually cost me at the end of the day. I've never bought a big ticket item not knowing the final price beforehand. When you paid do you recall seeing the total price at the 'order now' stage? I think the system has changed.
I've emailed Ineos to ask why it is not made clear when paying that any selected dealer fitted accessories are invoiced at a later stage.

Attachments

• order.now.jpeg
    order.now.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I reckon you’re right. Price in the configurator is now definitely lower.

In my configuration about $4000 which is the bullbar and sidesteps and a couple of other smaller items.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've clicked through and filled out the fields on the 'Order Now' page but it still does not show the total cost of the vehicle I just built, see snapshot below. It is leaving off all dealer fitted accessories, about $6k worth in my case. All the stamp duty and GST is included though, it has to be to show a 'drive away price'. At this payment stage it should show the total price of the vehicle you are purchasing, but to save me paying stamp duty on the dealer fitted accessories it drops them off and they obviously invoice these later. Nowhere does it show what my vehicle will actually cost me at the end of the day. I've never bought a big ticket item not knowing the final price beforehand. When you paid do you recall seeing the total price at the 'order now' stage? I think the system has changed.
I've emailed Ineos to ask why it is not made clear when paying that any selected dealer fitted accessories are invoiced at a later stage.
Go to your dealer and get them to bring it up
You can place your order there once you are happy
It has changed since I placed my order which was $112K plus GST + on road costs to a total of $122K I think or $126K
I can't remember

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Go to your dealer and get them to bring it up
You can place your order there once you are happy
My dealer (SLR) went through it with me and built it on his portal yesterday over the phone. He is seeing the same 118k. When I explained that 109k +7k +7.7k doesn't equal 118k, he just said 'trust me, it's right'. I don't think the dealers have been told about the new system otherwise he would've said they invoice after registration for the dealer fitted accessories.
I'll see what Ineos come back with.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I reckon you’re right. Price in the configurator is now definitely lower.
Yes, and it has only changed recently. A few weeks ago the total at checkout was higher as it included the dealer fitted accessories.

Shippa

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
i just went through the configurator and my price was exactly the same as my original order price. The configurator does differ from the Dealer printout i got from Magic Enterprises in Perth.
Also the list of on road costs to give an "on the road cost" does not mention the registration cost (Licence Fee-WA) or the compulsory Third Party Insurance cost. It also lists the GST as VAT but appears to keep the rate at 10%. Indicates they have not updated their accounting system fully to Australia.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
i just went through the configurator and my price was exactly the same as my original order price. The configurator does differ from the Dealer printout i got from Magic Enterprises in Perth.
Also the list of on road costs to give an "on the road cost" does not mention the registration cost (Licence Fee-WA) or the compulsory Third Party Insurance cost. It also lists the GST as VAT but appears to keep the rate at 10%. Indicates they have not updated their accounting system fully to Australia.
When did you order and was the dealer printout price higher than your config price?

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos have fixed the configurator overnight and now shows correct pricing.
The dealer fitted accessories are now added to the base price. see snapshots
Stamp duty is not being charged on the dealer fitted accessories, only factory fitted such as paint & heated seats etc.

Attachments

• old.price.jpeg
    old.price.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16
  • new.price.jpeg
    new.price.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 16

rovingoz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Stamp duty is not being charged on the dealer fitted accessories, only factory fitted such as paint & heated seats etc.
Might mean separate invoicing. One for stamp duty and registration purposes and one for the dealer accessories.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might mean separate invoicing. One for stamp duty and registration purposes and one for the dealer accessories.
Agreed.. Unless there is a separate "transaction" i.e. invoice the current law in Qld (and maybe other States) includes dealer fitted accessories if they're included in the total on the invoice!!

See explanation for Qld vehicle stamp duty

Extract:
"Duty also applies to optional equipment such as adding tow bars and window tinting or changing tyres and wheel rims.
Then you calculate the registration duty, based on your vehicle's dutiable value, using the rates of duty.

Back
Top Bottom