The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

DIY Rear Cargo Shelf

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
I sketched up a rear cargo shelf and had it laser cut, bent and powder coated.

Looks great, so thought I'd share the cad file for anyone that is so inclined. Sorry about the .zip, it wouldn't let me upload a .dwg
Most sheet metal shops could make it happen for you by sending them the cad file.

I made it from 2.0mm alum. I'h very happy, but some may prefer to go to 2.5 or 3.0mm.

You’ll also need:
Ten M6x10 nut/bolt/washers to bolt the parts together. You can also use M6 rivnuts if you prefer.
Four M8x25 bolts to bolt it to the car
Four 10mm thick washers, I used a hole saw to cut them from some 10mm plastic bread board. The outside diameter needs to be 40-50mm and the hole in the middle 9-10mm.

To fit, simply pop the four trims out of the roof and attach to those bolt holes with the big washers in there so the brackets don’t squash the roof lining – done.

Cheers, Dan

Attachments

• Grenadier Cargo Shelf.zip
    150.4 KB · Views: 154
  • shelf 1.jpg
    shelf 1.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 454
  • shelf 2.jpg
    shelf 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 434
  • shelf 3.jpg
    shelf 3.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
Looks great. Thanks for sharing Dan. Kaon better watch out!
Would you please post a pic looking towards the shelf from an open rear passenger door. I'm interested in how far forward the shelf extends towards the rear seat and the height above the headrests.

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great. Thanks for sharing Dan. Kaon better watch out!
Would you please post a pic looking towards the shelf from an open rear passenger door. I'm interested in how far forward the shelf extends towards the rear seat and the height above the headrests.
It's a pretty blatant knock-off of theirs and I wouldn't normally do that to a local manufacturer. BUT, when i first asked them about doing one I got a pretty flat "no", so i got cracking with my own.
I'm not concerned that this will take business away from them, as DIY isn't for everyone and making one at a time puts the cost at about what i imagine theirs will be anyway.

But for those as impatient as me (or overseas), this might be an option so thought i'd share it ✌️

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 431

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Kaon have told me their version is not likely to be available until the latter 1/2 of 2024.
Which is a pity.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great design, thanks.

I intend to install one in my 2 seater. Do you use exiting holes for the bolts or did yu drill them?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
That is awesome - thanks for sharing. I'll have to check around for fab shops in this area.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
There are four M8 threaded bolt holes in the top of the cargo area. Just pop off the four square trim covers to find them.
@ninetubes Thanks for sharing the file!!! That's really great!

How did you pop off the covers?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score

Looks great, so thought I'd share the cad file for anyone that is so inclined. Sorry about the .zip, it wouldn't let me upload a .dwg
Most sheet metal shops could make it happen for you by sending them the cad file.

I made it from 2.0mm alum. I'h very happy, but some may prefer to go to 2.5 or 3.0mm.

You’ll also need:
Ten M6x10 nut/bolt/washers to bolt the parts together. You can also use M6 rivnuts if you prefer.
Four 10mm thick washers, I used a hole saw to cut them from some 10mm plastic bread board. The outside diameter needs to be 40-50mm and the hole in the middle 9-10mm.

To fit, simply pop the four trims out of the roof and attach to those bolt holes with the big washers in there so the brackets don’t squash the roof lining – done.

Cheers, Dan
Epic fabrication and thanks for sharing all the relevant details. 💪

I'd really like one of those but need the full height of my boot most of the time.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm wanting to pop the roof plugs off over the front seats.
I've squeezed bloody hard with the right tool but all I'm doing is crushing the foam.
WTH?
20240110_220546.jpg

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm wanting to pop the roof plugs off over the front seats.
I've squeezed bloody hard with the right tool but all I'm doing is crushing the foam.
WTH?
View attachment 7839257
I tried getting the rear roof plugs out but stopped when I couldn’t get it out. Ended up using a cable snake to run wires through the headlining. Was shocked when it worked first go!

Jetjockey

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score

You’ll also need:

Cheers, Dan
Great work, Dan!

Where did you get, or better what brand is the compressor connector/switch panel?
Couldn't find something like it online.

Thanks
Oli

RobHallieSage

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score

You’ll also need:

Cheers, Dan
very utilitarian lookin' - nice rig!!!

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom