The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery died in 2 days under strange circumstances - engine and airbag lights on

huxgo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Hello dear friends!

This is the first problem I have with the car and therefore also my first post on this forum. I own the diesel trialmaster with an auxiliary battery.

So three days ago I went for a drive to my local car wash. After starting the car I noticed I was not able to connect my iphone to carplay. I figured that I only had to delete the device (my iphone) from the infotainment and then delete the ineos from my iphone, which I did. However after this had been done, the infotainment partially freezed. When I say partially freezed, I mean that I became stuck in the settings and the menu that usually sits in the middle between the selected page and driving info completely disappeared, therefore I was stuck. At the time, I didn't know about the reset by pressing the mute button for 30 sec but I tried to turn off the car and open the door and the infotainment wouldn't turn off so instead I continued on my merry way to the car wash.

After the car was washed, I went home and parked the car on my driveway. It stood there for two days and then when I came back for a drive, I noticed the car key didn't unlock the car. I opened the door manually and I also noticed the neither of the other doors opened (center locking system) and there and then I figured the battery was dead. I entered the car, turned the key and all warning lights went on even after waiting a couple of seconds (ESC off was on and the rear and front diff were flashing orange even thought they've never been used in the overhead console). Then I tried to turn on the car which failed, no sounds no nothing. Battery was dead.

I called ineos and they sent over a guy who helped me start the car with a battery. All error lights went on again but the guy told me it's normal and they will disappear once the battery is charged. The infotainment problem was resolved once the car was running. I let the car charge up to 95% and went on a drive. Most warning lights were gone except engine, airbag, rear and front diff lights. Also, ESC off was on and the rear and front diffs were still flashing orange in the overhead console. During this drive, I figured if I engaged the diff lock and disengaged, the lights would turn off, which they did. I did this by just entering LOW and engaging the central diff and then disengage.

So now we're in the present where check engine and airbag error lights are still on and I don't know why. Otherwise, the car works normally with no battery drainage. My questions are as followed:

- What caused the battery drainage and what can I do to prevent this in the future?
- Why is check engine and airbag error lights still on and how can I fix this?

P.S. Forgive me if this has already been asked or is a dumb question, I have little to no experience with cars as I am quite young. Very thankful for any help!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Before we can help, coupler questions. Do you have dual batteries? Do you have aux panel?

huxgo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Before we can help, coupler questions. Do you have dual batteries? Do you have aux panel?
Thank you for replying!

Yes, I have both dual batteries and aux panel.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
From my recent experience. It's all to do with the installation of the software and it's sequencing. Get the dealer to do a hard reset and the battery issues should go away. Battery below 95% Soc charges regularly at 6-9 amps. Above 95% then 1 or 2 amps. Apparently been told you can't do a hard reset by just removing the negative battery terminal.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's say the main screen. As I can remember, opening the door with the ignition off sometimes starts the right side of the screen.
Opening the door "awakens" the system and will connect with the phone and as @Skydance says energises the screen ( my phone beeps when the door is opened).
To make sure the system is asleep, open the bonnet, in preparation, and leave the vehicle for 10 minutes, key in the house so you don't accidentally touch a button, while you have a coffee ( or tea if you're British) then disconnect the battery on your return

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had similar, diagnosed as faulty battery. one thing I have noticed is that leaving the PWR switch on drains power even if nothing is connected to any of the aux sockets.
For the airbag light try going in to the passenger airbag on off setting, it will probably be greyed out. Press the brake pedal on and off 3 times while pressing the greyed out button on the screen. If the battery is charged it might work. Ineos Tech tried this on mine but battery was too low for it to work.

huxgo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Today the engine light disappeared after starting the car but it remains when only the power is on and the engine is off. Regarding the airbag error, I can't seem to get it resolved on my own. I've tried turning airbags off and on in the settings but the light on the instument panel doesn't go away. Connected an OBD2 and these codes popped up: P0658, P0562, C3EA2 and U0418. Seems to be related to the dead battery so I'll hand over the car to the service center.

Right now I'm assuming the battery drainage and temporary mortal demise of it was due to the bugged infotainment system.

I'll make sure to update the thread when I get some clarity on this problem from the service center. I have a feeling more people will face this problem after a dead battery.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
I had similar, diagnosed as faulty battery. one thing I have noticed is that leaving the PWR switch on drains power even if nothing is connected to any of the aux sockets.
For the airbag light try going in to the passenger airbag on off setting, it will probably be greyed out. Press the brake pedal on and off 3 times while pressing the greyed out button on the screen. If the battery is charged it might work. Ineos Tech tried this on mine but battery was too low for it to work.
Yes, seems leaving the PWR switch on does indeed drain the battery and to near flat over a couple of days and with no other Aux switches in the on position.. bizarre.. also seems to power up fuses under the steering as the PWR also turns on my wolfbox mirror that I have piggybacking two of those fuses. Have asked Ineos but they just said the usual... see your dealer... which is fair enough I guess but I think it's an engineering/software issue to do with a BCM. Going in for service next week and will ask then.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Yes, seems leaving the PWR switch on does indeed drain the battery and to near flat over a couple of days and with no other Aux switches in the on position.. bizarre.. also seems to power up fuses under the steering as the PWR also turns on my wolfbox mirror that I have piggybacking two of those fuses. Have asked Ineos but they just said the usual... see your dealer... which is fair enough I guess but I think it's an engineering/software issue to do with a BCM. Going in for service next week and will ask then.
And leaving any door open for a while drains the battery as well, a lot. Much more than I was expecting, it must be the Infotainment unit drawing the power.

When parked, I would prefer the info unit only coming on when the driver's door is opened - not all doors.

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello dear friends!

This is the first problem I have with the car and therefore also my first post on this forum. I own the diesel trialmaster with an auxiliary battery.

So three days ago I went for a drive to my local car wash. After starting the car I noticed I was not able to connect my iphone to carplay. I figured that I only had to delete the device (my iphone) from the infotainment and then delete the ineos from my iphone, which I did. However after this had been done, the infotainment partially freezed. When I say partially freezed, I mean that I became stuck in the settings and the menu that usually sits in the middle between the selected page and driving info completely disappeared, therefore I was stuck. At the time, I didn't know about the reset by pressing the mute button for 30 sec but I tried to turn off the car and open the door and the infotainment wouldn't turn off so instead I continued on my merry way to the car wash.

After the car was washed, I went home and parked the car on my driveway. It stood there for two days and then when I came back for a drive, I noticed the car key didn't unlock the car. I opened the door manually and I also noticed the neither of the other doors opened (center locking system) and there and then I figured the battery was dead. I entered the car, turned the key and all warning lights went on even after waiting a couple of seconds (ESC off was on and the rear and front diff were flashing orange even thought they've never been used in the overhead console). Then I tried to turn on the car which failed, no sounds no nothing. Battery was dead.

I called ineos and they sent over a guy who helped me start the car with a battery. All error lights went on again but the guy told me it's normal and they will disappear once the battery is charged. The infotainment problem was resolved once the car was running. I let the car charge up to 95% and went on a drive. Most warning lights were gone except engine, airbag, rear and front diff lights. Also, ESC off was on and the rear and front diffs were still flashing orange in the overhead console. During this drive, I figured if I engaged the diff lock and disengaged, the lights would turn off, which they did. I did this by just entering LOW and engaging the central diff and then disengage.

So now we're in the present where check engine and airbag error lights are still on and I don't know why. Otherwise, the car works normally with no battery drainage. My questions are as followed:

- What caused the battery drainage and what can I do to prevent this in the future?
- Why is check engine and airbag error lights still on and how can I fix this?

P.S. Forgive me if this has already been asked or is a dumb question, I have little to no experience with cars as I am quite young. Very thankful for any help!
That's exactly our problem, the description fits perfectly.--> https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/e-call-failure.12414009/post-1333275917

Local time
Reaction score
Due to the lack of current technical and electrical information and the amount of battery and charging comments on multiple forums I have added some older BMW Intelligent alternator control information from 2006 and the Bimmerpost forum. Looking at the document and reading some of the comments this appears to be the relevant to the Grenadier as an explanation of the charging system and may help with understanding the system better. There would be some changes to the system over time but that would be limited to software and electronic circuit board upgrades leaving the basic mechanical components and charging wiring unchanged.

Attachments

• Intelligent alternator control IGR used on 2007 models and onwards.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 18

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
End and (hopefully) solved:

We called the garage today and asked for an update. After all, our Grenadier has been there for testing for three weeks now.
The garage manager told us that they had given up and burnt the car. - Laughter (old joker).

No, everything was fine now, they had found the problem seven days ago, fixed it and tested it again and again until today - it remains stable.

It was/is a mass problem. They found that the paint was leaking in almost all places where the ground connections were attached to the body. This means that the ground had a poor connection to the chassis through the paint. They have now removed the paint from all the ground points and there have been no problems since.

We really hope the problem has been solved once and for all. We're off to the Arctic Circle in three weeks' time and we're hoping for a puncture-free journey.

Back
Top Bottom