The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Autumn Test Drives Germany

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
rovie, do you think it was the rack whistling and just heard better thru the windows or the windows themselves whistling?
Hi Inez, on the vehicle without the Safari Windows, I opened the side window slightly and did not hear any strong whistling noises from above. I think it is actually the combination of the Roof Rack with the windows on the roof. Some manufacturers offer wind deflectors for a reason. For example, a friend has a RhinoRack rack with a deflector plate, which helps really well, even if it doesn't look that good. But that doesn't matter. I had a Hannibal rack mounted on my Defender, which I'm converting to the Grenadier. I didn't have any problems with the Defender.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Similar question like Inez': If I got you right, the noise was on the safari window equipped Grenadier which had no roof rack? o_O

Second question: windows open or closed? Or always?
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. The whistling was in the vehicle with Safari Windows and roof rack when all windows, top and side, were closed. Even after opening the side windows, I heard the whistle. However, I did not open the Safari windows. Therefore, I cannot say how it would have behaved then.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Inez, on the vehicle without the Safari Windows, I opened the side window slightly and did not hear any strong whistling noises from above. I think it is actually the combination of the Roof Rack with the windows on the roof. Some manufacturers offer wind deflectors for a reason. For example, a friend has a RhinoRack rack with a deflector plate, which helps really well, even if it doesn't look that good. But that doesn't matter. I had a Hannibal rack mounted on my Defender, which I'm converting to the Grenadier. I didn't have any problems with the Defender.
Thanks for the reply. I have been in and next to on the highway, many trucks with whistling LED light bars. Im sure the windows could whistle if not sealed/fit tightly. I imagine that the rack would whistle to some extent.

Added: Although yesterday I thought something might be wrong with my car untill I saw the Audi next to me driving with the lower engine cover dragging on the ground at 70mph+

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have been in and next to on the highway, many trucks with whistling LED light bars. Im sure the windows could whistle if not sealed/fit tightly. I imagine that the rack would whistle to some extent.
As I understood the Ineos representative, the problem with the carrier is well known. They say they are taking it seriously and will check whether it can be improved.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
I did some training the other day on the car so I will look at the info on the diff locks for you all. From memory it was hold the button down for 3 seconds to engage front and longer for the rear lock. Will see if I can grab a screen shot of it tomorrow for you all.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
As I understood the Ineos representative, the problem with the carrier is well known. They say they are taking it seriously and will check whether it can be improved.
Thanks a lot for those valuable information. The safari windows hopefully do not whistle while no rack is mounted. That would drive me crazy…
We will see (and hear)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did some training the other day on the car so I will look at the info on the diff locks for you all. From memory it was hold the button down for 3 seconds to engage front and longer for the rear lock. Will see if I can grab a screen shot of it tomorrow for you all.
Three seconds is right. And after that you should wait a moment and then confirm on the touchscreen or on the button. I only noticed the confirmation text and “button” on the screen but my co-driver said it would work with the “real” button as well. This would be ok for me as it is one movement.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
Rovie's drive sounds great! According to bemax, you have to confirm locking a front or rear differential by tapping something on the screen. I don't like the sound of that. Bemax also described the diffs as being slow to lock and/or unlock. Again, not what I was hoping to hear. I feel like I'm on the Grenadier information roller coaster :oops:
I have seen numerous test drives where lockers were selected and the screen wasn't used, or even active.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
No I think both cars had the roof rack but only one of them had the safari windows, so like for like except safari windows.

Shame as the safari windows should be flush like a sunroof and give no noticeable extra noise. Open them a little and the noise should increase exponentially. I.e if not good fit then will be loud.
Sounds like the noise is coming from the roof rack as usual and can just be heard through the glass of the safari windows and not through the solid roof. I won't be getting a roof rack.

Local time
Reaction score
Stickshifter, even if we did not put in the locks on the uphill and downhill runs, we still tried them. I had no trouble inserting. The center differential lock is inserted as in the Defender or Discovery, only that now a ring must be pulled up at the gear knob. This is because you don’t accidentally press the lever and suddenly switch from lo to hi or lock.
I can also square this knob, which means from Hi to Lo to Lo Lock to High Lock and back to High.

I use my gear ratio very often with the Land Rovers, and even there the lock is not always inserted immediately. But this is also clear if you know the mechanics.A short trip back and forth makes them snap in.
For me, this is not bad, but completely normal.
Thanks for your reply! But it sounded like the trouble locking and unlocking was with the front and rear lockers - not with the manual lever that controls the center differential, or with going in and out of low range. I'm actually quite familiar with the little adjustments one needs to make to engage or disengage low range when using a manual lever. I don't mind such adjustments, as you can really feel the gears, and a sense of connection with what's happening with your vehicle.

Just to provide clarity to my post, here is what bemax wrote in Post #60 about the front and rear lockers:

"Yesterday the selection of the lockers didn’t work very well. (PTO2) after locking the central differential ( You have to be in N to do so) you can lock the rear differential by pressing the button three seconds and confirming the vote on the button or the touch screen afterwards. Same with the front differential after that.
The front diff didn’t engage and there were explanations like “turn the steering wheel left and right”. I had to do so quite hard but the diff didn’t engage at all. Of course it’s a prototype but it didn’t feel good.
In addition the rear differential didn’t disengaged (probably this is not the right word)"

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen numerous test drives where lockers were selected and the screen wasn't used, or even active.
That is very good to hear. I can't imagine why you would need to confirm engaging the front & rear lockers on the screen.

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t wish for Safari windows but they come with the Fieldmaster :-(
Roof bars and eventually a roof box would likely give similar issues.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t wish for Safari windows but they come with the Fieldmaster :-(
Roof bars and eventually a roof box would likely give similar issues.

Read again. It's not the windows which cause the noise. They are just a bit more permeable for the roof rack caused noise than a solid roof.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Winch cover:
On earlier vehicles, the number plate holder with plate could simply be folded upwards onto the bumper. On the current version, a plastic cover has to be removed completely. This is a bit fiddly. The INEOS contact person was unable to answer whether this will remain the same or whether it will be adapted again. Nor could he answer how this is solved for the steel bumper.
I thought the plastic bumper had the removable section and the steel bumper the hinged number plate?

The winch itself also seems to sit further forward in the steel bumper.

High-load auxiliary switch box and electrical preparation:
If you have chosen this option, you will get sockets in the following places: In the recesses of the roof rails, one in the trunk, one in the engine compartment and I mean one behind the front seats.
Did you see the engine compartment socket?
What about the socket we have seen to the left of the towing ball?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought the plastic bumper had the removable section and the steel bumper the hinged number plate?

The winch itself also seems to sit further forward in the steel bumper.

Did you see the engine compartment socket?
What about the socket we have seen to the left of the towing ball?
Even the Ineos guy was also no longer sure which number plate holders were hinged, as he is not responsible for the countries with steel bumpers. Next to the towing ball was a 13-pin socket for trailers. No, I have not seen any socket in the front. But I have not looked for it either.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen into the engine compartment or even made a photo? Ineos seems to make a big secret what is under the hood.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen into the engine compartment or even made a photo? Ineos seems to make a big secret what is under the hood.
Sorry, I didn’t open the bonnet.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In our case, the bonnet was open the whole time and we also looked at the engine. However, it was not exceptional for me. It was tidy and not as extremely overbuilt as I would have expected. We were allowed to take photos of everything, but I didn't. Yes, in retrospect I should have. I didn't realise that it wasn't possible to see the engine elsewhere. I still remember that on the engine cover it said: (Ineos) Grenadier powered by BMW. I'm no longer sure if the word Ineos was there.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't we have a thread on here somewhere with photos?

I've certainly seen a good few, right the way through the prototype phases, so it's always a puzzle when people seem to be told that they can look under the bonnet but not take photos?

Back
Top Bottom