The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Autumn Test Drives Germany

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen into the engine compartment or even made a photo? Ineos seems to make a big secret what is under the hood.
Justin Hocevar the Australian MD of Ineos made a reply to the question of why won't they let anyone see what is under the bonnet about a month ago. He was a bit guarded on what he could say but from memory it was something like " there are several possible reasons and one of them is that engine or component manufacturers can put an embargo on car companies to not show there products until they are completely finished and have been given permission" I am working from memory and paraphrasing but pretty sure it was words to that effect. I remember them saying they had to remove the plastic dress cover from the engine and had lots of monitoring equipment temporarily there. I can understand if BMW has said they don't want their engine on display until it is wearing it's Sunday best and some make-up.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
So far, Justin Hocevar has been very straight taking, so such a politician's answer is unusual.

Of course, he could keep the promise to BMW of not lifting the bonnet for photos of the engine and still deliver for us with a little lateral thinking:

Screenshot_20220203_155534.jpg

To extend the logic from engine or component manufacturers, then that would cover the full prototype vehicle and Ineos would not be able to show us anything.

Only a guess but I wonder if it's more to do with component shortages and to get these vehicles out they may have cut a corner or two under the bonnet?

The Goodwood vehicle featuring the removeable winch had the High Load Auxiliary Panel but no 2 pin plug which, I think, is part of the pack.

Under the bonnet photo thread:

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So far, Justin Hocevar has been very straight taking, so such a politician's answer is unusual.

To extend the logic from engine or component manufacturers, then that would cover the full prototype vehicle and Ineos would not be able to show us anything.

Only a guess but I wonder if it's more to do with component shortages and to get these vehicles out they may have cut a corner or two under the bonnet?

The Goodwood vehicle featuring the removeable winch had the High Load Auxiliary Panel but no 2 pin plug which, I think, is part of the pack.
That was why I assumed it was BMW as the only component they have is under the bonnet. It isn't a politicians answer it is a Managing Directors answer. He is hardly going to just say "those arseholes at BMW..." Maybe you are correct and there is a huge component shortage from BMW. Maybe under the bonnet they are hiding a wind up clock mechanism and a speaker making engine noises.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That is very good to hear. I can't imagine why you would need to confirm engaging the front & rear lockers on the screen.
Is the OP saying you have to action something on the screen or was it just being used to visually confirm they are locked as the icons light up or something?

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 14.20.10.png

Not forgetting that the display panel behind the steering wheel also has tell tales for the diff locks.

FB_IMG_1644478114073.jpg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Is the OP saying you have to action something on the screen or was it just being used to visually confirm they are locked as the icons light up or something?

View attachment 7794021

Not forgetting that the display panel behind the steering wheel also has tell tales for the diff locks.

View attachment 7794022
The OS askes you politely to confirm via touch screen or the button under the roof

Scan4

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Got one from test-driving

Attachments

• E606859F-15A6-4D80-A9F6-BB36243910FE.jpeg
    E606859F-15A6-4D80-A9F6-BB36243910FE.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 68

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Look under the bonnet of any modern car: plastic covers everywhere.

What else should it be? It's only a cover. And it's lightweight.

To be clear, I don't like plastic. But from a technical point of view, it's the best solution. Unfortunately, it can't compete with the longevity of aluminum. But nobody wants to pay for for the latter.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are 50,000 plus different polymers that get called plastic. They are all "plastic" in nature and it is up to the design engineers o choose the correct polymer composition to suit the application. Some have reinforcement in them as well such as glass, carbon or nylon fibres.
We manufacture housings in various plastics, aluminium or stainless and often the plastics outperform the metals.

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
rovie, do you think it was the rack whistling and just heard better thru the windows or the windows themselves whistling?
I have a duramax with camper shell and two racks on the top that cover the length of the vehicle. I have to keep the sliding headliner closed under the sunroof or the noise from the rack over my head gets very loud. It's 100% the rack noise as I never had the issue before installing it. I won't be putting a rack on the grenadier for that reason.

Local time
Reaction score
I did it!! IG testdrive yesterday close to Lindau / Bodensee with the same (?) friendly female rally driver, great offroad experience in muddy environment after 3 days of rain not even getting close to the limit of the car, including quick on road experience, overall very positive and re-confirming my IG ordering decision 100%. By the way, one of my very few worries was if I fit in (with 193 cm), and yes, I do!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did it!! IG testdrive yesterday close to Lindau / Bodensee with the same (?) friendly female rally driver, great offroad experience in muddy environment after 3 days of rain not even getting close to the limit of the car, including quick on road experience, overall very positive and re-confirming my IG ordering decision 100%. By the way, one of my very few worries was if I fit in (with 193 cm), and yes, I do!
If your co-driver is dark haired, from Prag and drove the Mitsubish drift challenge etc. than it should be the same.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> dark haired, from Prag

I think, she was in one of the videos.

Local time
Reaction score
If your co-driver is dark haired, from Prag and drove the Mitsubish drift challenge etc. than it should be the same.
Thanks, different one then but friendly, too! By the way, following the various ‚plastic‘ discussions (don’t like too much plastic either) it seems based on Ineos staff feedback that specifications are still not finalized and things will change vs. cars used for test rides etc. And yes, seems we all have to be patient till we see the ‚final‘ specs, not even talking about moving delivery dates… 🙈

Local time
Reaction score
Hi this an engine shot from todays test drive. WHERE IS THE DIPSTICK ????
GrenEngiineTD.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom