The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Autumn Test Drives Germany

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Interesting that this photo shows that the right side footrest has more or less been eliminated in this version 🤔
Mmm - the join between plastic mouldings isn't very flush is it?

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
Of course it’s a prototype but it didn’t feel good.

I can't understand why INEOS would want customers to test drive a prototype vehicle which may provide a 'negative' driving experience, unless there was opportunity to incorporate feedback back into the car before it's delivered to customers? What's in it for INEOS vs. What's in it for us?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
I can't understand why INEOS would want customers to test drive a prototype vehicle which may provide a 'negative' driving experience, unless there was opportunity to incorporate feedback back into the car before it's delivered to customers? What's in it for INEOS vs. What's in it for us?
The co-driver didn’t know in advance that the problem would be there. What should she have done? Throw me out of the car to avoid a negative feedback?

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
The co-driver didn’t know in advance that the problem would be there. What should she have done? Throw me out of the car to avoid a negative feedback?
Hi bemax
Did you drive the Grenadier in Crawl Ratio? That is important for me to know, because of that you can get no exact information. Is the speed than as well as in the old Defender? My test drive is on 8.10. in Detmold.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi bemax
Did you drive the Grenadier in Crawl Ratio? That is important for me to know, because of that you can get no exact information. Is the speed than as well as in the old Defender? My test drive is on 8.10. in Detmold.
Hi To,
I did drive in low the first round in the diesel nearly entirely as the co-driver suggested to do so. The engine braking in my opinion is comparable to the one of the Defender.
Furthermore the HDC works fine as well.
The second round with the petrol engine I drove very much in high as the terrain didn’t exactly cry for low and locked diffs.
As well in the petrol one the motor brake is good enough for quite steep hills.

Everything felt similar to the Defender but of course you feel that there is a lot more tech in the IG. I am used to drive off road with a manual gearbox. The automatic alone gives me the feeling of being decoupled from the car. Anyway I will get used to it. The ZF is that smooth that I didn’t feel no gear change at all! Even when I tried to recognise it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mmm - the join between plastic mouldings isn't very flush is it?
If you're referring to what I think then it may well be a air vent/duct and so the gap is actually the air outlet.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
LOL
To me it looks like they made the space on the right of the ’footrest‘ steeper and smaller.
I was thinking the same. 🤭

If it's been lowered then I look forward to the first users reporting that they have been burning the sole of their left foot...

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi guys. Now that some time has passed, I have to come to share my personal impressions of the Grenadier with you, having driven it both on- and off-road. I was also able to take a closer look at some of the things that have been discussed here on the forum time and again. I drove both the petrol and the diesel.

1) Driving behaviour on the asphalt road: Due to the conditions, a maximum speed of approx. 50-60 km/h was possible. In my opinion, the steering reacts very directly. This is not comparable with the Defender. Both diesel and petrol engines are powerful right from the start. The engine noise is almost not audible at all with the petrol engine, whereas with the diesel engine, understandably, the nailing of the diesel can be heard. It feels a bit more than my Disco 4.

2) Off-road handling: Natural meadow-covered slope with steep gradients. It was not a specially designed driving training area. On the other side with the same slope upwards again. The grass was already worn down on the lanes, so we mainly drove on the damp earth. No stones in the ground to give grip. Due to light rain, it became increasingly wet and slippery.

Honestly, I was overwhelmed. I drove down the slope alone in 1st gear, without any locks, without accelerator and brake pedal. I did not notice any slipping. In the middle of the slope I stopped, put the car in reverse gear (the car then stands still without being on the brakes) and we slowly drove back up again without spinning the wheels. Then back down again. From the bottom to the top, also without locks and in automatic mode. No spinning of the wheels, no slipping. I repeated these drives several times, both with the diesel with the standard off-road tyres and with the petrol and road tyres. With my Defender I would have felt uncomfortable or not dared to drive on this track, especially as there were structural facilities below, as it was private agricultural land. I really thought when I drove up that nothing would work now without locks. I don't know how often you ride off-road? I don't mean the meadow in front of your house in the city. I've got comparable steep meadow areas and mostly looked for flatter gradients with my Land Rovers. Now I am already convinced that it was the right decision. More info to follow.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you Rovie. My Sunday is now better after reading your positive's !!!

Local time
Reaction score
Rovie's drive sounds great! According to bemax, you have to confirm locking a front or rear differential by tapping something on the screen. I don't like the sound of that. Bemax also described the diffs as being slow to lock and/or unlock. Again, not what I was hoping to hear. I feel like I'm on the Grenadier information roller coaster :oops:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is some more information on various topics that have been discussed here in the forum.

Spare wheel cover:
If you have ordered a Station and ticked the spare wheel cover, you will get this plastic cover unless you have chosen the lockable box. In the current version, this is only guided with tabs in the rim and is fixed with a screw in the middle. This is covered with a small plastic cover. From my point of view, this is nothing special and very unstable. I will not use this one.

Front bumper:
The front edge of the plastic bumper sticks out 16 cm towards the radiator grille. Further to the side, about where the headlights are, it protrudes 21 cm.

Winch cover:
On earlier vehicles, the number plate holder with plate could simply be folded upwards onto the bumper. On the current version, a plastic cover has to be removed completely. This is a bit fiddly. The INEOS contact person was unable to answer whether this will remain the same or whether it will be adapted again. Nor could he answer how this is solved for the steel bumper.

Mushroom colour:
The name of the Mushroom colour will indeed be changed. Even though Magic Mushroom can still be found in the current brochures and information, it will probably be renamed Solid Mushroom due to its association with drugs.

High-load auxiliary switch box and electrical preparation:
If you have chosen this option, you will get sockets in the following places: In the recesses of the roof rails, one in the trunk, one in the engine compartment and I mean one behind the front seats.

Footrest on the right:
I am very tall and had no problems with the footrest in the right footwell, it was not so steep compared to the 2B prototypes.

Side Runners:
I am very tall and really happy that I ordered the Side Runners. When I get into the vehicle without them, I’m on my toes on the other foot. With the Defender I always get in without side steps and I haven’t figured out how to get out with the side runners. Going backwards out of the car, I’m sure everyone who sees this will be thrilled.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 82

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rovie's drive sounds great! According to bemax, you have to confirm locking a front or rear differential by tapping something on the screen. I don't like the sound of that. Bemax also described the diffs as being slow to lock and/or unlock. Again, not what I was hoping to hear. I feel like I'm on the Grenadier information roller coaster :oops:
Stickshifter, even if we did not put in the locks on the uphill and downhill runs, we still tried them. I had no trouble inserting. The center differential lock is inserted as in the Defender or Discovery, only that now a ring must be pulled up at the gear knob. This is because you don’t accidentally press the lever and suddenly switch from lo to hi or lock.
I can also square this knob, which means from Hi to Lo to Lo Lock to High Lock and back to High.

I use my gear ratio very often with the Land Rovers, and even there the lock is not always inserted immediately. But this is also clear if you know the mechanics.A short trip back and forth makes them snap in.
For me, this is not bad, but completely normal.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I drove the petrol vehicle Fieldmaster version off road last Friday on a training court in Stadtoldendorf (Mammut-Park). With the trainer on the right seat we went up and down some slippery dirt tracks and through some minor water areas. Just middle diff lock and low gear 1/2.5 reduction and 18 inch wheels. The steering wheel needed a lot of turning and I didn’t feel quite comfortable driving some sloping mud roads with vehicles on the downhill site. Had my share of loosing grip on wet hillsides in heavy cars…On the gravel road the suspension was flawless and good for a comfortable ride, even on the back seat. My Cayenne with Air suspension would have behaved bad on that road. The interior is on eye level with my 2013 Cayenne S Diesel or a contemporary BMW with very good Recaro seats. my wife said perfect for the hunter or veterinarian! If you need such a 4x4 car this is the one to get.
Unfortunately I stopped hunting 20 years ago and treat people, not cows…
But I will convince her the buying the car is way less live changing the going for one of the other choices mentioned.

Attachments

• DE99E596-91BE-4CE0-BE55-92FDDBC49B9E.jpeg
    DE99E596-91BE-4CE0-BE55-92FDDBC49B9E.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 73

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie
Excellent information, thanks! (y)

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh yes, I wanted to mention something else. One vehicle had the Safari Windows and the Full-Lenght Roof Rack. With all windows closed, the whistling noise was very unpleasant when driving on the road, approx. 50-60 km/h. That would bother me. I did not order these windows. According to the instructors, the reason is the Safari windows. On a vehicle without these windows and with a roof rack, there was much less wind noise.
Thank you Rovie. My Sunday is now better after reading your positive's !!!
Thanks ECrider!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh yes, I wanted to mention something else. One vehicle had the Safari Windows and the Full-Lenght Roof Rack. With all windows closed, the whistling noise was very unpleasant when driving on the road, approx. 50-60 km/h. That would bother me. I did not order these windows. According to the instructors, the reason is the Safari windows. On a vehicle without these windows and with a roof rack, there was much less wind noise.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
rovie, do you think it was the rack whistling and just heard better thru the windows or the windows themselves whistling?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks ECrider!
Similar question like Inez': If I got you right, the noise was on the safari window equipped Grenadier which had no roof rack? o_O

Second question: windows open or closed? Or always?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No I think both cars had the roof rack but only one of them had the safari windows, so like for like except safari windows.

Shame as the safari windows should be flush like a sunroof and give no noticeable extra noise. Open them a little and the noise should increase exponentially. I.e if not good fit then will be loud.

Back
Top Bottom