The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Altimeter issues. Reset/Calibration possible?

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Well we have a potential winner here. lowest reading gets a free mug and t shirt.

It's official competition time.

Entries close on last day of Feb.
On the honor system when it comes to using tunnels or launching the winning Grenadier to a watery death.

People have been known to do crazy things for small production mugs.

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
This is all very interesting. I was just thinking where is the lowest point on dry land on earth! The Earth's lowest land elevation point is at the Dead Sea, located at the border of Israel and Jordan. Its shores have an elevation of 420 meters (1,385 feet) below sea level.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
So, is the conclusion here that we cannot calibrate our altimeters properly? I’m parked on a cliff looking down about 50 or 60 feet to the ocean yet my gauge tells me that I am 50 feet underwater.
Either we can't calibrate OR Ineos, knowing they built for longevity, calibrated for sea level in 2124

Gren turtle

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Living in New Orleans I expect to see negative numbers, but the city isn't 70' below sea level.

Should be showing around 8-10' above sea level where it sits.

Anyone know of an issue or is this just a limitation of altimeters in vehicles that I have to live with?
The fact the IG has altitude I think it is a fair question to ask if it can be calibrated. It doesn't seem that any of those who replied, answered that question. Who cares what the margin of error is for an airplane. I too live at sea level and feet matter. Also as a cyclist, elevation on a ride is important. Especially when you are riding in the mountains. It would be good to know you are getting accurate numbers. I am sure eventually someone will figure out if the altimeter can be calibrated. When they do, I hope my search to this question will also be answered.

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone else having an intermittent LED issue? Even though the altimeter is nearly worthless it would be nice to read the thing. Sometimes it’s on and sometimes off.

van dijk

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Living in New Orleans I expect to see negative numbers, but the city isn't 70' below sea level.

Should be showing around 8-10' above sea level where it sits.

Anyone know of an issue or is this just a limitation of altimeters in vehicles that I have to live with?

I’m in So. FL and having same issue: reads as being around -80ft, which is absurd. A lot of chatter on thus thread about the altimeter being barometric presure-based…but that strikes me as weird and incorrect. Does anyone on this forum have reference or proof that it’s barometric?

If it’s like most other cars, it uses a handful of GPS satellites to determine altitude. And it should be accurate within 5 m.; and more commonly, in my experience with other cars, around 3 m +/- accuracy. (My Grenadier was ‘tuned’ into/‘seeing’ 20 satellites yesterday; so it’s not for lack of data. One of the Offroad data screens reports how many satellites are actively being seen)

Conclusion: this very much seems like some sort of initial configuration issue; it’s not really even calibration. Just as you need to set your GMT offset (so that the GPS time signal results in display of a correct time clock), I wonder if, say, the latitude, in which you find yourself driving the car, plays a role?

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
I have no issues and this reading almost agrees with my Tablet GPS - that's good enough for me.
20240229_113222c.jpg
That being said, I just noticed that the compass is out, I'm actually facing S-SE.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
So, is the conclusion here that we cannot calibrate our altimeters properly? I’m parked on a cliff looking down about 50 or 60 feet to the ocean yet my gauge tells me that I am 50 feet underwater.
I don't even look at mine, the writing is so small that I would need to put on reading glasses and deep throat the gearstick

Back
Top Bottom