The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Altimeter issues. Reset/Calibration possible?

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
My Altimeter at least gives me a rough idea of time: I can only make out the displayed value when the instrument lights come on at night🫣

Sarven

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Living in New Orleans I expect to see negative numbers, but the city isn't 70' below sea level.

Should be showing around 8-10' above sea level where it sits.

Anyone know of an issue or is this just a limitation of altimeters in vehicles that

Living in New Orleans I expect to see negative numbers, but the city isn't 70' below sea level.

Anyone know of an issue or is this just a limitation of altimeters in vehicles that I have to live with?
I live in NJ having the same issue about 100 ft off

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
That’s actually a great idea. Ineos should parter with Bremont, CWC, or some other British watch brand. I’ll mention the brand Christopher Ward, but I’m assuming Sir Jim wouldn’t want some other blokes name in this vehicle 😂😂
I'd take IWC, another Mercedes AMG F1 sponsor too.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I think the altitude data is GPS-derived, not atmospheric pressure. Can anyone confirm either way, or is there just a general consensus that it's a pressure instrument because it's labelled Altitude? A GPS error could also show the wrong height because it relies on triangulation between multiple satellites.

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m willing to agree that it’s GPS based. There would be no reason to include a pressure instrument. Going to the off road pathfinder page shows the same data. I surmise that people have a similar unrealistic expectation of GNSS-based altitude/elevation figures. Although it’s not “accurate”, I still appreciate the novelty of it in my dashboard versus the branded plug option.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
My pre-Grenadier Hyundai Santa Fe had an inbuilt altimeter which was calibrated by GPS. It was an interesting exercise to compare its output with local "Official" elevation markers. Usually within 10-15m of the markers in various east coast locations from Cairns in far north Queensland to Melbourne some 3600 km to the south.
Surf club carpark altitudes varied between -5m and +20m. I haven't a clue what their real elevation was🤷‍♂️ but my feet were dry:cool:
At sea level +/-10m are a lot of error, at 2000m they're nothing. In fact, at 0.0m elevation even 1mm is inf % of error.

But there are people who believe it's best practice to calibrate their barometic altimeters at sea level....

Use common sense when using an altimeter, be it barometric or GPS based: If your're around sea level, common sense reasoning gives your altitude.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score

Anyone know of an issue or is this just a limitation of altimeters in vehicles that I have to live with?
I have the same issue on the outer banks of NC. I’m 105 feet under.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well we have a potential winner here. lowest reading gets a free mug and t shirt.

It's official competition time.

Entries close on last day of Feb.
limbo belt GIF

Back
Top Bottom