The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alarm System? (your Grenadiers anti theft system)

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Haven't thought about this for a while...since pretty much every car comes with alarm/security these days.  Have we seen any indication what kind (if any) of anti-theft measures the truck will come with?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I haven't. But a hidden GPS tracker will help.

And if i drive to critical countries, I have a steering wheel lock,  made of steel which you can not crack with a bolt cropper.

I personally don't need and don't want more electronics. It's always prone to failures.

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score

I like mechanical too, and the price just 13$
Simple and effective 
1f608.png

On the serious note GPS tracker will be really great.. 

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Just received the below form Ineos.

Hi joejet

We’ll come straight to it. Our website and brochure have always referenced a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser. But this is not correct.

It’s a mistake on our part, and for that we’re sorry. The good news is that your Grenadier is fitted with an advanced anti-theft alarm (complete with independent power source) and immobiliser.

This is an important point, as it may affect your insurance. So, if you’ve already obtained a quote, we’d advise updating it. Select ‘manufacturer-fitted system’, as opposed to ‘Thatcham Category 1’. This will ensure you have the correct cover for your Grenadier. As always, if you have any questions regarding this update, then please do not hesitate to contact Customer Services.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi

We’ll come straight to it. Our website and brochure have always referenced a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser. But this is not correct.

It’s a mistake on our part, and for that we’re sorry. The good news is that your Grenadier is fitted with an advanced anti-theft alarm (complete with independent power source) and immobiliser.

This is an important point, as it may affect your insurance. So, if you’ve already obtained a quote, we’d advise updating it. Select ‘manufacturer-fitted system’, as opposed to ‘Thatcham Category 1’. This will ensure you have the correct cover for your Grenadier. As always, if you have any questions regarding this update, then please do not hesitate to contact Customer Services.
Do you think that will have much bearing? I've never had a "branded" alarm on any of my vehicles previously?

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think that will have much bearing? I've never had a "branded" alarm on any of my vehicles previously?
My old Landrover TD5 is a non thatchem landrover alarm. Did not seem to make much difference.

Paul Cooper

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Just received the below form Ineos.

Hi joejet

Just had same e-mail. Insurance quote will be going up then.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
JoeJet - You beat me to it!

So what is missing that stops the system on the Grenadier being Thatcham compliant?

This vehicle could be a magnet to those who want one withiout paying for it.... This is a tad concerning?

Views welcome!

Thanks

John

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
likewise, just received.

wonder what; '(complete with independent power source)' refers to. Independent to what?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
My insurance does not give me any discount for any alarm system. So it is not from importance to me.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

Thatcham Category 1 – combined alarm and immobiliser​

Systems that fall into this class are the cleverest and most complex on the market.

A Thatcham Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and incorporate movement, glass break and/or tilt sensors. There’ll also be a siren powered by its own battery supply that will sound if your car gets broken into.

Immobilisers are also a requirement to pass Thatcham Category 1 tests and have to be passively set – that means without any action from the driver – while a minimum of two operating systems or one control unit used for normal operation must be isolated.

So we won't be getting all of this ^

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
JoeJet - You beat me to it!

So what is missing that stops the system on the Grenadier being Thatcham compliant?

This vehicle could be a magnet to those who want one withiout paying for it.... This is a tad concerning?

Views welcome!

Thanks

John
I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 but I did wonder if IA had always planned to have their security system compliant with Cat 1 but when they came to have it assessed/tested it failed to meet requirements? On the plus side nice they've come clean with the email.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I'd never heard of the Thatcham ratings. Maybe some other folk have not either. I found this link helpful:

Thatcham Category 1 (quoted from the above website):

Systems that fall into this class are the cleverest and most complex on the market.

A Thatcham Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and incorporate movement, glass break and/or tilt sensors. There’ll also be a siren powered by its own battery supply that will sound if your car gets broken into.

Immobilisers are also a requirement to pass Thatcham Category 1 tests and have to be passively set – that means without any action from the driver – while a minimum of two operating systems or one control unit used for normal operation must be isolated.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Locked garage in Aus... that will help us over here!

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
likewise, just received.

wonder what; the independent

Its a glorified way of stating the alarm has a second battery usually inbuilt into the sounder case. In the event the vehicle battery is disconnected the siren still has power and sounds the siren if the battery is disconnected even if the alarm is not armed. It will also trigger if the car battery runs flat and the hold off voltage is removed. Its what's known in the alarm industry as an SAB, or self activating bell, although this case its a siren. Most professional car alarms / HGV protection alarms would feature this as standard.

Back
Top Bottom