The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Air Conditioning (AC) not working properly / loosing gas

Leapoffaith

Production/Transit
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Took mine back to the dealership on Monday who carried out pressure test and regasseed. Working at moment but new hoses ordered as both leaking. Thin welds, bet these get beefed up. Still working after 3 days so it should last until the cold weather 🤣

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
My air-conditioning was working fine on collection but now there appears to be know temperature change when it's switched on. I have looked around for any loose hoses but I can't see anything and the aluminium welds appear fine. Is there anything else I should look out for before raising it with my Ineos dealer? Also what is the black header box with a screw top close to the firewall on the right hand side of the engine bay? Amy help would be appreciated. Thanks LoidsView attachment 7826102
Pretty sure that is engine coolant and you are below minimum, confirm that and if so top it up and go to agent to find out why. Mine wore through a hose due to an incorrect alignment and rubbing

Yards10

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up Trialmaster yesterday and noticed air conditioning was not cold about 1 1/2 hours into the 300km trip home.
After being home for 30 mins noticed a 1/2 meter wet patch under car. Liquid was green and oily. Looked under car and found the liquid on underside. Opened bonnet and found green liquid in the far rear right of engine bay near what looks like the brake abs lines.
Is this air con oil/gas as I’ve searched and found this is sometimes tinted green.
All other systems working ok except usual error messages……
Liquid left an oily stain on drive and was bitter to taste!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Picked up Trialmaster yesterday and noticed air conditioning was not cold about 1 1/2 hours into the 300km trip home.
After being home for 30 mins noticed a 1/2 meter wet patch under car. Liquid was green and oily. Looked under car and found the liquid on underside. Opened bonnet and found green liquid in the far rear right of engine bay near what looks like the brake abs lines.
Is this air con oil/gas as I’ve searched and found this is sometimes tinted green.
All other systems working ok except usual error messages……
Liquid left an oily stain on drive and was bitter to taste!
Hi Yards10, That liquid is more likely coolant leaking from one of the radiators and not air con oil/gas.
The reason it may be at the back of the engine is perhaps a leak in a hose or the heat exchanger for the cabin heater. I would check your coolant levels carefully and monitor them and not rely on gauges until you confirm what it is. DaBull

Yards10

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Yards10, That liquid is more likely coolant leaking from one of the radiators and not air con oil/gas.
The reason it may be at the back of the engine is perhaps a leak in a hose or the heat exchanger for the cabin heater. I would check your coolant levels carefully and monitor them and not rely on gauges until you confirm what it is. DaBull
Actually just noticed the high pressure coolant tank sits above this area and coolant around the cap. i opened it partially and coolant overflowed so wonder if it was over filled. have tightened the cap and will monitor.
will have to get air con looked at as no cold air

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
Actually just noticed the high pressure coolant tank sits above this area and coolant around the cap. i opened it partially and coolant overflowed so wonder if it was over filled. have tightened the cap and will monitor.
will have to get air con looked at as no cold air
My petrol B58 used coolant during the first 2000 miles but I believe it was air in the system as my car had a replacement radiator prior to my hand over. My Aircon was working on delivery and then stopped getting cold, the workshop regassed the system and added a tracer dye so if it happens again they should be able to find the leak. All good now and the 1946 software update appear to have stopped all errors and warnings at this stage.

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had my Grenadier a week. Hot day today in Melbourne and no cold air at all from my AC. Do they not test them at the Dealers?
Mine worked perfectly on collection but then lost its effect over the first 2000 miles . Possibly an air lock ?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Mine worked perfectly on collection but then lost its effect over the first 2000 miles . Possibly an air lock ?
Air conditioning has no air in it to lock, its compressed gas. If it has stopped working it has most possibly lost its refrigerant (gas) and you'll need to visit the dealer

pieter1475

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Air conditioning has no air in it to lock, its compressed gas. If it has stopped working it has most possibly lost its refrigerant (gas) and you'll need to visit the dealer
I think they are shipped from France with no refrigerant. Mine didn't work either. It was regassed the next day. Worked fine for a few weeks then lost its efficiency. The consensus was the gas was leaking back through the heat exchanger and into the coolant jacket where it evaporated out. INEOS are replacing the heat exchanger.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
I think they are shipped from France with no refrigerant. Mine didn't work either. It was regassed the next day. Worked fine for a few weeks then lost its efficiency. The consensus was the gas was leaking back through the heat exchanger and into the coolant jacket where it evaporated out. INEOS are replacing the heat exchanger.
Interesting....mine was supposed to be ready tomorrow but the air conditioner isn't working. Another delay 😒

Local time
Reaction score
If Ineos is replacing the a/c heat exchanger because the gas is leaking into the coolant ask if they have drained, flushed and replaced the coolant in the system. A/C gas contains oil to lubricate and dyes to trace leaks and this may eventually float on top of the coolant and may be misdiagnosed as other faults.

Barron1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Pieter, my Grenadier has a similar issue. Now that the gas is out its almost unbearable to drive in during the day. Been told its an air con pipe issue and awaiting parts from Europe. How long did it take to have your Grenadier rectified?

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm bringing mine in next Thursday, it was not remotely "cold" and paired with the condensation dripping and the fogging up, I assume all three are related. Baffling this is not on a dealer checklist.

Local time
Reaction score
I guess I can’t attach videos, but FWIW, my grenadier (350 miles on it) apparently lost all its refrigerant, too. Fortunately, I have a halogen detector and a bunch of HVAC tools. Turns out that for me the shader valves under the low pressure cap was leaking and you could see oil bubbles around it. I tightened it down and it seemed to stop the leak.

Can anyone confirm that this car is 1234yf refrigerant? It does not take the fittings of the 134a stuff I have so I assume it’s the new stuff.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Warmer day in Northern Virginia today, warner in the Grenadier. A/C seems not to be working. Checked the compressor, the clutch on the compressor engages when the A/C is turned on. Any new solutions to this issue than what is already posted? Expect to hear from the dealership tomorrow. Thanks!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Warmer day in Northern Virginia today, warner in the Grenadier. A/C seems not to be working. Checked the compressor, the clutch on the compressor engages when the A/C is turned on. Any new solutions to this issue than what is already posted? Expect to hear from the dealership tomorrow. Thanks!
Hi LeonD - did a quick trip across the Commonwealth to Richmond mid-morning - yes very warm! Fortunately A/C seems to be working well. Look forward though to hear what you find out as best to know how to fix a problem if it occurs. Thanks!
Cheers!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I can’t attach videos, but FWIW, my grenadier (350 miles on it) apparently lost all its refrigerant, too. Fortunately, I have a halogen detector and a bunch of HVAC tools. Turns out that for me the shader valves under the low pressure cap was leaking and you could see oil bubbles around it. I tightened it down and it seemed to stop the leak.

Can anyone confirm that this car is 1234yf refrigerant? It does not take the fittings of the 134a stuff I have so I assume it’s the new stuff.
I had the same fault. Blowing bubbles past the Schrader valve. Also, the fittings on the adjacent heat exchanger can come loose. Check those two torx bolts.
Australian delivered vehicles use 1234yf. Unaware of NA vehicles. There is a decal under the hood near the radiator.

Attachments

• PXL_20230831_094508264.jpg
    PXL_20230831_094508264.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230831_094222479.jpg
    PXL_20230831_094222479.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom