The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

After Market Audio Upgrade

jjncvt

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I am anticipating delivery of my new truck and it got me thinking about doing a nice audio upgrade. I was at the dealer yesterday and I was thinking about what could go where. I would love to hear from others about how they tackled this project. I did see one Youtube bit that was done by a shop in the UK. My other car is Land Rover HSE 2016 and it has a great system. I would like to put a 3 way speaker system in the front, sub located somewhere, and use the Alpine HDS-990 so that I can stream. Is there an Audio guy out there who can share some wisdom. Where can I put the 990?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello all. I am anticipating delivery of my new truck and it got me thinking about doing a nice audio upgrade. I was at the dealer yesterday and I was thinking about what could go where. I would love to hear from others about how they tackled this project. I did see one Youtube bit that was done by a shop in the UK. My other car is Land Rover HSE 2016 and it has a great system. I would like to put a 3 way speaker system in the front, sub located somewhere, and use the Alpine HDS-990 so that I can stream. Is there an Audio guy out there who can share some wisdom. Where can I put the 990?
Hi @jjncvt - you might want to look over the following threads:

Info. System

Premium Sound

Adding Sub

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why would you want to do the HDS-990 instead of just normal streaming through the factory head unit?

Krabby pointed out some good starting points to read over before you dive into anything.

I'm not sure where you'd be planning on doing a 3 way front stage, but it would definitely take a good bit of fabrication. You might be able to put a midrange in addition to the woofer in the door, but again, a lot of custom door-panel work. Or, place the midrange in the door and create a kick panel for the woofer (which will then negate any ability to hose out the floor or really even get it muddy).

My plan is a 2 way front stage and replace the coax's in the rear for rear fill (same setup as my current and previous vehicle), and experiment with a pair of JBL nano powered subs under the seats (perhaps mount them to the seat frame instead of the floor to retain the hose-ability/draining of the floors. I'd love for someone to do the hard work for me and see how clean or altered the factory headunit's high level outputs are through the volume range; I would assume they are heavily bass-reduced at higher volumes due to the factory speaker rear door speakers size and am planning on a replica of our Sprinter's set up, just adding the rear channels. It has a Kicker KEYLOC (2 in the Grenadier), into a Kicker KEY200.4s for an active front stage (a second for the rear channels in the Grenadier), and then a set of Hertz Cento or Morel Tempo 6.5" 2 way components for the front (and matching 4" coax's in the rear doors) with the tweeters being dash mounted, perhaps in pods in the corners (and then attenuate them because of their direct facing/firing). Of course tons of CLD and then 3M Thinsulate in the doors (I'll also be doing the CLD/3M Thinsulate through the rear quarter panels, CLD/Thinsulate/3M Low-E above the headliner, and CLD/3M Minicell under the floors).

Of course, I'm still about 3-4 months out from having a vehicle, so, who knows what cool new stuff could come out or information be gained between now and then!

jjncvt

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Why would you want to do the HDS-990 instead of just normal streaming through the factory head unit?

Krabby pointed out some good starting points to read over before you dive into anything.

I'm not sure where you'd be planning on doing a 3 way front stage, but it would definitely take a good bit of fabrication. You might be able to put a midrange in addition to the woofer in the door, but again, a lot of custom door-panel work. Or, place the midrange in the door and create a kick panel for the woofer (which will then negate any ability to hose out the floor or really even get it muddy).

My plan is a 2 way front stage and replace the coax's in the rear for rear fill (same setup as my current and previous vehicle), and experiment with a pair of JBL nano powered subs under the seats (perhaps mount them to the seat frame instead of the floor to retain the hose-ability/draining of the floors. I'd love for someone to do the hard work for me and see how clean or altered the factory headunit's high level outputs are through the volume range; I would assume they are heavily bass-reduced at higher volumes due to the factory speaker rear door speakers size and am planning on a replica of our Sprinter's set up, just adding the rear channels. It has a Kicker KEYLOC (2 in the Grenadier), into a Kicker KEY200.4s for an active front stage (a second for the rear channels in the Grenadier), and then a set of Hertz Cento or Morel Tempo 6.5" 2 way components for the front (and matching 4" coax's in the rear doors) with the tweeters being dash mounted, perhaps in pods in the corners (and then attenuate them because of their direct facing/firing). Of course tons of CLD and then 3M Thinsulate in the doors (I'll also be doing the CLD/3M Thinsulate through the rear quarter panels, CLD/Thinsulate/3M Low-E above the headliner, and CLD/3M Minicell under the floors).

Of course, I'm still about 3-4 months out from having a vehicle, so, who knows what cool new stuff could come out or information be gained between now and then!
Thank you for sharing all of that. I don’t know very much about custom car audio and was hoping someone like you would chime in and point me in the right direction. There are a couple of local shops in my area who do high end work. I was thinking about visiting a bit with them once I get delivery. I am probably 4 weeks out is my best guess so I will let you know how this comes together. I appreciate your point about additional sound proofing. I think that could make a big difference.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score

Hi Anand, Once you upgrade the sound system, please share with us the full detail including lots of install photos. DaBull

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Anand, Once you upgrade the sound system, please share with us the full detail including lots of install photos. DaBull
Once it actually arrives, there'll definitely be a build thread (y)

KickingTiger

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone completed an audio upgrade? Pictures and details appreciated. Also looking for a great audio installer in southern CT.

TX Wilderness Seeker

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone completed an audio upgrade? Pictures and details appreciated. Also looking for a great audio installer in southern CT.
Mine is getting upgraded as we speak. Not much for pitches yet except one when they were asking me my preference on tweeter 6D024BD7-F0D0-45C3-8375-6D9B4577FA3C.jpeg

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
Blimey, there’s no going back after that.

Commitment right there, I love it.

jjncvt

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
https://soundsincrediblemobile.com/. I used this place to upgrade my Chevy. Going to take the IG into them as well. They are fairly close to Curry. Husband and wife own the place. Very good service.
This place also has a good reputation. Suspect they will be a good bit more expensive.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
https://soundsincrediblemobile.com/. I used this place to upgrade my Chevy. Going to take the IG into them as well. They are fairly close to Curry. Husband and wife own the place. Very good service.
This place also has a good reputation. Suspect they will be a good bit more expensive.
I haven't seen someone talk about AI Design in years!!

@KickingTiger there are a handful, both stateside and plenty RoW

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
You'll need a waterproof amp, upgrade to 3 way speakers with silicon cones (resists water) seperate tweeter will sit nicely on the lower 'A' pillar, the power amp fits under one of the seats.

KickingTiger

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
A number of great suggestions here thanks. I took delivery Wednesday and put in an 8 hr drive today. Terrific truck really soulless base audio - at least for a guy who likes some thump. Will check out sound incredible.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A number of great suggestions here thanks. I took delivery Wednesday and put in an 8 hr drive today. Terrific truck really soulless base audio - at least for a guy who likes some thump. Will check out sound incredible.
If you have the, ahem, ”premium” sound system, some folks have noted their sub was not turned on, or the settings were all out of whack so if you have it check that out.

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Kept this under the radar while the system was being built. Finally, all done up to my liking! I've attached a few photos.
Happy to help or guide if anyone's looking for something similar.

Full credits go to Carl and his team @ Studio Incar in Fareham!

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.24.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.55.png
    958.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.41.png
    979 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.28.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.28.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.05.12.png
    912.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.58.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.58.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.47.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.47.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.24.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.04.24.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.02.png
    1 MB · Views: 133

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Holy subwoofers Batman!

Any a-pillar airbag concerns with the tweeters there?

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Mine goes in the shop Monday for a Hertz/Audison system, at the tune of $5k. The premium system is really pretty weak. I'll post pictures as soon as it's complete.

SiMsound

Supporting Vendor
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Next month we will start with the engeneering of aplug and play sound upgrade solution for all Grenadier models.
The range will be from new plug and play upgrade speakers to fully masterclass soundsystem upgrade with new speakers, subwoofer and built in dsp amplifier. Goal is to set up a system which is easily to install by the owner themselve with the perfect sound result. We deliver incl. all cables pre wired and installation manual in german and english language.

We will keep you inform when we are under construction. It will be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom