The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A look at the HD seat covers and Dash cover

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
In this final mile drive you can see the car driven by Eliud Kipchoge has tan canvas seat covers front and back and a matching dashboard cover. Upon closer inspection it looks to be made by Melville and Moon. An ace manufacturer. If that’s the case I am ticking that option box. 
https://youtu.be/dwZiW0zbrV4

https://melvillandmoon.com  

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
I thought the same thing and am hoping we get these options when we ordered... fingers crossed

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
The Melville and Moon kit is expensive but it’s is superb what I have seen of it. It would sting a bit but I would definitely put my hand in my pocket for some if they become available.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah M&M is quality stuff and the price reflects that. I recently went scouting for quality seat covers for my other vehicle and 4 brands rose to the top Takla, M&M, Black Duck and Carhartt in that order. 
M&M is classically beautiful but Takla and Black Duck seem more robust and a modern interpretation. Carhartt has good quality fabric but not as clean a fit. 
Takla is by far my choice. Their fabric seems very waterproof, the fit is great (but not M&M great) but the piece de resistance is their TakMat floor liners. These are protective and offer sound and heat insulation. I have seen them in a vintage Defender and amazed at the quality. If they make a set for the Grenadier then that’s what I’d get. Again not cheap. A full set of seat covers and floor liner was US $1100 if I remember right

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen the Takla stuff and Carhartt. I won’t say it’s impossible to get in the UK but it difficult to source, which is a shame as it is all good stuff like you say. 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Shaky said:
I have seen the Takla stuff and Carhartt. I won’t say it’s impossible to get in the UK but it difficult to source, which is a shame as it is all good stuff like you say. 

Most of the price for these niche products is in shipping costs. Once we get there Grenadier we could organize a group buy from Takla. Hell maybe from Australia and SA. They have some really good local makers for accessories like camp cover, crash pod, etc.

I have an on going thread with Takla. Happy to check with them for the Grenadier and a potential group buy

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
That could be a good shout my friend 

Local time
Reaction score
Off topic for seat covers, but the grenadier rolling up at 1:08 in the video above is wearing Duratracs. Has anyone seen these mounted before and what size are they? They seem a bit more robust than the stock 255/70

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
Jmccmick said:
Off topic for seat covers, but the grenadier rolling up at 1:08 in the video above is wearing Duratracs. Has anyone seen these mounted before and what size are they? They seem a bit more robust than the stock 255/70

They are 35x12.5x17. They fit with minor trimming is what Ineos said. I believe this is the same one they had in Iceland and Sir Jim drove across Africa a month ago. It has wider fender flairs on it too. 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Another brand that stands up really well to outdoor use, and general abuse, is Bartact. Super popular among Jeepers who like to run their vehicle topless despite weather, and off-road conditions like mud and fine sand.
https://www.bartact.com

Plenty of online reviews if you are interested, like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldaand1N3rU

Last edited:

klaus

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Just a screen grab to illustrate, as I too thought they may be the OEM choice:View attachment 7792395
Appears not now.

Does anyone know who the supplier is?

In looking for alternatives, I noticed that Andrew St Pierre White likes his Recaro seats, and has a rather decent looking set of covers on them from Recaro:

View attachment 7792396

The other ones I'd noted from magazine adverts were from:

https://thewetseat.com.au/

but I've not seen enough feedback on these one way or the other.
I have the wetseat covers on my current car. They are neoprene, fit well and are durable. However, in summer you sweat on the neoprene. For this reason I would choose another material next time.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Thanks ~ how are they standing up to wear, especially the outer edge of the driver's seat base, which on a tall vehicle tends to get a lot of backsides sliding across it?

klaus

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks ~ how are they standing up to wear, especially the outer edge of the driver's seat base, which on a tall vehicle tends to get a lot of backsides sliding across it?
No signs of wear on the wetseat covers, the hold up very well. I have them on my seats for 12 years in my current car. It's a high car as well (Merc. Vito Van), but the seats are flat (i.e. there is not a lot of side support like on the Recaros.) I think I go for the OEM one's on the Grenadier.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had assumed the heavy duty seat covers in the Configurator were just that, covers - that one could take on/off as required.

Due to this thread and looking closer today at the picture/s in the Configurator of the HD seat covers, the HD seat covers in the Configurator don’t look like seat covers at all, but seats with a HD exterior instead. If they are indeed seat covers the form fitting is tight and ease of getting on/off would be interesting.

Anyone able to shed any light of this one? (Thx in advance)

OG.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
I had assumed the heavy duty seat covers in the Configurator were just that, covers - that one could take on/off as required.

Due to this thread and looking closer today at the picture/s in the Configurator of the HD seat covers, the HD seat covers in the Configurator don’t look like seat covers at all, but seats with a HD exterior instead. If they are indeed seat covers the form fitting is tight and ease of getting on/off would be interesting.

Anyone able to shed any light of this one? (Thx in advance)

OG.
The question might be, whether the pictures in the configurator are real pictures or just show the computer made design (I am missing the correct word). That is what it seems to me. Therefore the configurator meight not be the perfect base to judge how good they fit. As they are not seewed in manny points with the seat I can not imagin that they do fit that perfect. The airbags might bring up an problem if is based in the seat. but this would hopefully be in the mind of the developer.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
Yes - they do look more like seat covers that you put on and leave on, rather than slip on and off, as and when.

I'm wondering if that this has something to do with the airbag setup.

Front Airbags (Driver & Front Passenger)
Side Airbags (Driver & Front Passenger)
Curtain Airbags (All Occupants)

where the normal slighly baggy covers would interfere with the airbags deploying to spec.
Seat covers have to be specially made to be compatible with that seats airbags. Assuming the airbags are in the seats not the B pillar. My Mercedes says that I must not fit seat covers

Back
Top Bottom