The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

Uncommonsense

Production/Transit
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
As far as I know, this is a USA Only Issue and Specific to the ADAS System in the 2024 Model. Feel free to skip the Background editorial and go to the Solution!

Background

I was lucky enough to have an early delivery and picked my Grenadier up on Nov 27th. Scottish White (Love it!), Leather, 17” Alloys, BFG K02s, Rock Sliders, +++. What follows is not about the very long list of things I love about the Grenadier, it’s about one factory configuration Issue that makes me (almost) hate it.

This issue, and it is unfortunately ‘by design,’ is part of the newly released 2024 ADAS System includes Lane Departure, Traffic Sign Recognition, Intelligent Speed Assist, Over Speed Alert, and a few other things, are ON by default and must be turned OFF deep in the Display Menu ‘every time’ you restart the vehicle.

It’s hard to explain without experiencing it but the warning Beeps, Clicks and Chimes are beyond annoying. For example, the clicking for Intelligent Speed Assist starts when you hit the stated speed limit in most cases. The amount of beeping in this vehicle is beyond anything I've ever experienced other than an ICU room in a hospital.

As a Public Service Announcement (PSA), I would encourage you to drive it when you go to pick it up.

When I say down deep in the Menu, this is the actual process to turn OFF the Over Speed Alert (Note: My Car starts up in Carplay Mode):

CarPlay > Ineos > Settings > Vehicle Settings > Vehicle Functions > ADAS Systems > Intelligent Speed Assist > Over Speed Warning > Over Speed Warning OFF > CarPlay

That is 10 Menu Clicks. Every time you restart the car if you want to turn off Lane Departure, Intelligent Speed Assist, and Over Speed Alert.

For those thinking, ‘This is no big deal, you shouldn’t be driving over the speed limit anyway ….’ Hear me know, believe me later. It is MADDENING. I mainly drive in town, and don’t drive excessively over the speed limit under any circumstances. I’d say speed limit or speed limit +5 MPH, Max. Having alerts going off when you hit the stated speed limit and after, is just wrong in my opinion.

Here is a real-world scenario: You're driving in a 40 MPH Zone .... 39 MPH to 41 MPH. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK Back down to 40 MPH .... hit 42MPH CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Back down to 40 MPH. Speed up to pass a car. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Repeat this scenario on your daily commute. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, that's a sound you'll be hearing in your sleep!

I am hoping for a Software Update. However, it says in the Manual that these features can be changed (As described above), but again, not saved after turning off the vehicle. Page 136 in the manual.

Solution
This is the best workaround I have come up with for the ADAS issue related to the constant chiming and clicking when you hit the speed limit and go beyond it. It’s not great, but it’s the best I could figure out until we hopefully get a Software Update.

From the Display: Settings > General > CCI Favourite > Settings-ISA

When you start the vehicle, let the Display cycle up / load. Then hit the Favorite Button on the center console. It will bring up the Settings-ISA Screen. Turn Off Over Speed Warning.

Note 1: If you Unselect ‘Speed Limit Info’ you will have a persistent Orange Icon on the Telltale Display (That’s the name of the small screen in front of the Steering Wheel).
Note 2: You still need to do this every time you start the Vehicle but its way better than the 10 Step approach.

I tried a few other things, including Wade Mode which disables many of these systems, and the Deactivate all ADAS Systems. The issue with both of these options is that they light up the Telltale Display like a Christmas Tree.

Again, I am not posting this because I hate my Grenadier, I love it. I just 100% hate the fact that this feature/lack thereof impacts the driving experience for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

The first video is configuring the Favorite Button and the second is Start Up / Deactivation.
Thank you for the shortcut. This is a problem in Canada as well as I just picked up my Fieldmaster two weeks ago. For all the old school features of the Grenadier it seems foolish that they would built in this annoying speed Nanny. My registered complaint with Ineos has so far been ignored which is disheartening. Once their initial North American launch is over its Honeymoon period little issues like this could build resistance to future sales. success.

Uncommonsense

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I would bet $50 - this is a secret conspiracy by all LH drivers in the UK. They all bribed Sir Jim that since we do not have the hump on the floor, Operation 'Yankee Fucker' was launched to get even with us!!
Just read your post, and spit my beer out laughing. Thanks for the chuckle.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey,
Thank you very much for contacting INEOS Automotive.
I completely understand your perspective on finding the speed limit sound annoying and unnecessary. However, it was a decision made by our engineers to prioritize the safety of our clients. I will certainly forward your comments and opinions to the team. While I understand your concerns, I want to clarify that at the moment, there are no plans to remove or add a software update to modify this feature.
I will send you a set of instructions to manually turn off the safety feature if you don't already have them. However, please remember that this will need to be done every time you turn on the vehicle. It's also important to note that turning off and using the vehicle without this safety feature activated is not recommended.
I hope you understand the reasoning behind the engineer's and team's decision, but please know that your feedback has been received, read, and taken into consideration.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.
Thanks,
Jackson
INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
Now that Engineers are running the company, and customer service it appears, they will be disliked as much as Lawyers.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
Now that Engineers are running the company, and customer service it appears, they will be disliked as much as Lawyers.
Nanny-gineers! Granted, Star Trek warp drive is still sci-fi (for now). Imagine... "Ensign, all head full, warp factor 14! Click...click...click!!!"

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey,
I completely understand your perspective on finding the speed limit sound annoying and unnecessary. However, it was a decision made by our engineers to prioritize the safety of our clients. I will certainly forward your comments and opinions to the team. While I understand your concerns, I want to clarify that at the moment, there are no plans to remove or add a software update to modify this feature.
I will send you a set of instructions to manually turn off the safety feature if you don't already have them. However, please remember that this will need to be done every time you turn on the vehicle. It's also important to note that turning off and using the vehicle without this safety feature activated is not recommended.
I hope you understand the reasoning behind the engineer's and team's decision, but please know that your feedback has been received, read, and taken into consideration.
Thanks,
Jackson
So Ineos (I know you are reading this)...

Explain to me how an intrusive aural alert system (that has been proven to be woefully inaccurate setting off an audible tone with inaccurate over-speed alerts from improper camera readings and inaccurate GPS coordinates) is a good safety feature to "prioritize the safety of your clients" It is nothing but a distraction to drivers who are likely to take their eyes off the road where they belong and instead glance at the display to try and process why their vehicle is chirping at them.

Local time
Reaction score
The system was designed “on purpose”. They did it for a reason, and they drove it before they sold it. Just like the rest of the truck. Do you see them chiming in on any other complaints? Do you see them chiming in on the compliments?

It’s a forum with a statistically insignificant number of buyers participating. There’s not going to be a press release telling a forum nothing is changing.

Zak Smith

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score

Explain to me how an intrusive aural alert system (that has been proven to be woefully inaccurate setting off an audible tone with inaccurate over-speed alerts from improper camera readings and inaccurate GPS coordinates) is a good safety feature to "prioritize the safety of your clients" It is nothing but a distraction to drivers who are likely to take their eyes off the road where they belong and instead glance at the display to try and process why their vehicle is chirping at them.
I'd like to add a "+1" to this sentiment and articulation.

The #1 cause of accidents is driver distraction. The Grenadier pops up warnings and has inexplicable chimes go off all the time. Every now and then I'll hear a new one I've never heard before and wonder why it's going off, then examine the dash to try to figure it out. Am I low on fuel? Did I open the door before putting the parking brake on? Did I put it into park after the brake, was that the wrong order? Did I not put my seatbelt on BEFORE turning on the car?

ADAS related errors like "AEB Not Available" or something about LDW or some Speed related warning (can't "see" the signs well enough) pop up regularly due to obstructions, lighting, or whatever, and these cause persistent (until the system tries to resolve itself) beeping and errors that draw the driver's attention. However, there is nothing we can DO about these errors (ie corrective action), nor does it make us drive any different, since we are still driving the truck-- just now with it chirping at us.

All these chimes, bells, clicking, pop-ups, etc, only serve to distract the driver. It would be safer for me to drive with a cover taped over the console and the various speakers or noisemakers unplugged.

I am keeping a notebook of weird behavior that I'll post in another thread at some point. If it's true that Ineos has eyes on this thread, I wanted to put it on record here though.

For now, though, I think I can still diplomatically state: ADAS needs some work before it's ready for prime time; and so does the center console software user interface. Given how brilliantly the rest of the truck is, these parts seem like an afterthought which is disappointing in a $90k "purpose built off-road 4x4".

The email from Ineos quoted above shows a certain level of hubris. Extra chirping and/or flashing messages at me does not make me "safer." This is not a self-driving car (thank God). It just serves to distract and annoy.

ETA--

And if we're talking about safety, having my truck turn its engine off by itself, so it does not "go" exactly when I tell it to "go" is definitely a safety issue. Yet we cannot configure the Grenadier to remember our preference there. That kind of throws the safety argument out the window.

Last edited:

Zak Smith

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The system was designed “on purpose”. They did it for a reason, and they drove it before they sold it. Just like the rest of the truck. Do you see them chiming in on any other complaints? Do you see them chiming in on the compliments?
At first I thought this was sarcasm, but I then figured out it wasn't.

This position is logically the same as saying, "Everything in the Grenadier is correct by definition." No man-made device is perfect. Is it perfect that many driver's-door seals are coming off from the factory? No, that's an assembly defect. Is it perfect that the AUX Lighting switch indicator LED stays on after the lights themselves deactivate after you exceed 44 mph and Off-road mode disables itself? No, that's a bug in the software control system.

Some products are so advanced that they require customer education in order to sell and to have the customers most effectively use the products. My own company sells products that are like that, to some extent. It is harder to market, sell, and support products in that category because it requires a lot more communication with the end-users.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Exactly. The lane warning is another perfect example. The on-screen notification disappears so quickly we don't know what the warning was. At this point, with any manufacture, these warnings are ignored.

Local time
Reaction score
At first I thought this was sarcasm, but I then figured out it wasn't.

This position is logically the same as saying, "Everything in the Grenadier is correct by definition." No man-made device is perfect. Is it perfect that many driver's-door seals are coming off from the factory? No, that's an assembly defect. Is it perfect that the AUX Lighting switch indicator LED stays on after the lights themselves deactivate after you exceed 44 mph and Off-road mode disables itself? No, that's a bug in the software control system.

Some products are so advanced that they require customer education in order to sell and to have the customers most effectively use the products. My own company sells products that are like that, to some extent. It is harder to market, sell, and support products in that category because it requires a lot more communication with the end-users.
It's a car company. Product specific forums are nothing new, there are 8 million of them. About the only comment you will ever get from car company is a cease and desist if the forum somehow commits a trademark violation.

The ADAS system is working exactly as intended. It's correct for THEM. It's doing everything they want it to do, and everything it's supposed to do. Since you work at a multibillion dollar manufacturer producing consumer products, go to your PR department and ask them about commenting and giving "oxygen" to anything they consider a non issue by publicly acknowledging the commentary, not to mention future hassles by giving the impression of availability and access. ADAS is NOT changing, any speculation on a "fix" did not come from them. They never issued a statement suggesting they were going to change it, they never informed reservation holders it was being added, and they aren't going to comment on any discussions about it here, EVER.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
As far as safety issues, the medical industry (which I am not a part of) has a theory called "Alarm Fatigue" which you can read about here if such things interest you. Here's the relevant part to the Grenadier:

Research has demonstrated that 72% to 99% of clinical alarms are false. The high number of false alarms has led to alarm fatigue. Alarm fatigue is sensory overload when clinicians are exposed to an excessive number of alarms, which can result in desensitization to alarms and missed alarms. Patient deaths have been attributed to alarm fatigue.

I certainly find myself ignoring the constant alarms in my Grenadier. One of the best mods I did was the speedo that goes in front of the steering wheel, most of the time it hides all the warning lights. Of course that's a ticking time bomb in case there is ever a "real" alarm (although most alerts seem to also show on the center display).

In contrast, my last Land Cruiser (2012 200 series), I drove for 12 years and had only two warning lights come on during that entire time, and they were both real (fuel filter needs replacement warnings).

Commodore

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks,
Jackson

Please tell me that this is a joke. I have a Grenadier ordered right now. One of the reasons that it is ordered instead of buying a near identical build off the lot is because I want Ineos to fix that damn clicking before I take delivery in November. I will walk away from the order if they don’t have a fix. No possible way that this is a livable base configuration for someone that has to get around LA.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Please tell me that this is a joke. I have a Grenadier ordered right now. One of the reasons that it is ordered instead of buying a near identical build off the lot is because I want Ineos to fix that damn clicking before I take delivery in November. I will walk away from the order if they don’t have a fix. No possible way that this is a livable base configuration for someone that has to get around LA.
Yeah, the clicking is a bit annoying, but it is quickly disabled after starting. Don't let that little thing keep you from an otherwise wonderful vehicle. You will adapt. I did.

Zak Smith

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a car company. Product specific forums are nothing new, there are 8 million of them. About the only comment you will ever get from car company is a cease and desist if the forum somehow commits a trademark violation.

The ADAS system is working exactly as intended. It's correct for THEM. It's doing everything they want it to do, and everything it's supposed to do. Since you work at a multibillion dollar manufacturer producing consumer products, go to your PR department and ask them about commenting and giving "oxygen" to anything they consider a non issue by publicly acknowledging the commentary, not to mention future hassles by giving the impression of availability and access. ADAS is NOT changing, any speculation on a "fix" did not come from them. They never issued a statement suggesting they were going to change it, they never informed reservation holders it was being added, and they aren't going to comment on any discussions about it here, EVER.
I never claimed that they would chime in here or offer any statement to anyone. Maybe you're arguing with someone else's point after quoting my post. That's alright, but it does not address anything I said.

However, the proposition that the truck is 100% correct by definition is more damning than helping because every human made product will have some faults, and we all know there are things that could be improved in the Grenadier.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
For those that have torn the interior apart, is it possible to unplug all of the vehicle’s speakers that would, in effect, disable all vehicle audio warnings?

I plan on installing a serious sound system that will interface directly with my phone and will I have no use for the existing audio head unit. The additional benefit of shutting up the car up would be icing on the cake.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those that have torn the interior apart, is it possible to unplug all of the vehicle’s speakers that would, in effect, disable all vehicle audio warnings?

I plan on installing a serious sound system that will interface directly with my phone and will I have no use for the existing audio head unit. The additional benefit of shutting up the car up would be icing on the cake.
The sounds don't come directly from the speakers. The module that controls those features has a speaker built into it. I suppose you could disable that speaker, but you would then disable turn signal noises, etc. And no idea what other alarms or faults that might trigger.

Zak Smith

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The sounds don't come directly from the speakers. The module that controls those features has a speaker built into it. I suppose you could disable that speaker, but you would then disable turn signal noises, etc. And no idea what other alarms or faults that might trigger.
Do we know the location of this module?

Back
Top Bottom