The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Workshop Manuals available?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
At the Ineos Tech Tour presentation a couple of weeks ago, we were advised that for owners, there will definitely be internet access to data later this year, probably based secure access including VIN for one's own vehicle. Quite a few owners have politely asked their dealer for basic info as above and it's been provided... ;)
Thanks @DenisM I was going to add the same comment.

I summarised in this post the key points I could recall from the tech tour presentation given by Justin Hocevar, MD Ineos Automotive Australia and Glen Boyd, Senior After-Sales Manager. Justin said that access to workshop manuals was a pledge made early by IA and they intend to deliver on it. I am sure Justin speaks with the authority of the IA senior leadership team but keep in mind that he represents the APAC region only.

Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
On the German website, Ineos writes about the operating manual and online instructions as if they already exist:
Scroll down to the end of the site:

Or here the (Google) translation from the Part:

3D instructions and repair manuals
We know that you may want to carry out work on the vehicle yourself. That's why we deliberately designed and constructed the Grenadier in such a way that work inside and outside is easy to carry out. To help you, we provide online repair manuals. And support from the technical team at INEOS HQ is just a call or a click away.

Of course, a 21st century vehicle cannot do without electronics, which are better taken care of by our experienced technicians. But with the operating manual and online instructions, you can easily carry out simple mechanical maintenance work yourself. In addition, all components are broken down individually in the interactive, animated 3D online repair manual.
For me i think:
No Service-Manual, no Deal.

If they ar to late with the manual, i buy another Brand.
For my person they have a litle bit of additional time.
I did not buy as a early customer (Quartermaster). Ineos have to launch it and then i make a Testdrive.
After this, they have one year to fix the car teething problems.

My ten years old Amarok need only half a day for service in the year, no other problems.
And they have a Top free "Converter Guidelines" with "Technical Drawings" - look at this:
Additional Information of the car you can get (buy) in ETKA: https://www.etka.com/etkaportal/en/

That's what I expect from Ineos since that's exactly what they advertise

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My ten years old Amarok need only half a day for service in the year, no other problems.
Main service is just oil , maybe other fluids depending upon mileage. 1 hour for all fluid changes on your own driveway. Maybe a brake service , 1/2 hour. Check suspension bushings and bolts. Tap a few things , give it a wash and charge like a wounded bull.
Brake pads/ rotors are not rocket science.
Plenty of us old school guys are happy to pay our own labour rates to maintain these simple vehicles ( The Grenadier).
One day pay the man $$$ to change the timing chain.
But you saved a lot of money doing your own services in the meantime.

Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
It's a friend's workshop :), normaly i only pay for parts and fluids..
While I'm waiting, I check his computer, get some cake and drink coffee :).
I had fiends like you... (had being the key word) :p

See... here's how I look at it. If I have a friend in an industry I need, I would rather have the friend profit from my business than some stranger.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AAA isn't gonna tow for warranty work on a leaky door.
Pretty sure it depends on your AAA plan. If you ask for a tow they tow. I have even considered using AAA to take my Defender back home from vacation because I needed to get 3 cars home with only 2 drivers and it was within the 90 mile range.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty sure it depends on your AAA plan. If you ask for a tow they tow. I have even considered using AAA to take my Defender back home from vacation because I needed to get 3 cars home with only 2 drivers and it was within the 90 mile range.
1711025881196.png

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was driving home on Easter Sunday with my wife, then, girlfriend, when the battery in my car died. We were out in the middle of nowhere, with absolutely nothing open, but within 90 miles of home. When I called AAA, the driver was willing to flatbed us the rest of the way home. I assume, since it was Easter Sunday, he was probably going to get a pretty good rate for it. It’s also something like 90 miles per day or for every couple days. So theoretically you could get along way if your patient. At least that’s how it used to be that was back in the 90s.

Local time
Reaction score
Look, you do you, but AAA distinguishes between emergency towing and convenience towing, and they do not convenience tow. Can you lie about something, and maybe the tow driver will go along with it? Sure I guess that can happen, but that's predetermined intent, and an individuals morals.

I'm only responding here so a reader doesn't think this use is legitimate, should they happen to care about that, and I saw a "thumbs up". And for the record, Just to make sure I was still correct after 35 years of membership (things do change) I did just call AAA Premier services, as that is my membership, tell them I had an Ineos with a leaky door gasket that needs replaced under warranty, and asked if that was legitimate tow on my 200 miles a year. The lady sheepishly and politely went into delineating the difference between an emergency v convenience tow, and said "No, thank you for asking".

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Look, you do you, but AAA distinguishes between emergency towing and convenience towing, and they do not convenience tow. Can you lie about something, and maybe the tow driver will go along with it? Sure I guess that can happen, but that's predetermined intent, and an individuals morals.

I'm only responding here so a reader doesn't think this use is legitimate, should they happen to care about that, and I saw a "thumbs up". And for the record, Just to make sure I was still correct after 35 years of membership (things do change) I did just call AAA Premier services, as that is my membership, tell them I had an Ineos with a leaky door gasket that needs replaced under warranty, and asked if that was legitimate tow on my 200 miles a year. The lady sheepishly and politely went into delineating the difference between an emergency v convenience tow, and said "No, thank you for asking".
I wouldn't do it for a door gasket either. I didn't do it. I thought about it at the time because my belt blew and wasn't sure that I wanted or was able to do a shade tree mechanic repair. Ironically the belt broke apart in such a way that it hit the hood release cable and I had to pull the grill in order to release the hood.

When my turbo went I had it towed to my house as I was going to fix it. That was the late-night emergency tow.

I had it towed from my house a few times to a mechanic they were not emergencies because the truck was at home but could be picked up at AAA's leisure.

Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it for a door gasket either. I didn't do it. I thought about it at the time because my belt blew and wasn't sure that I wanted or was able to do a shade tree mechanic repair. Ironically the belt broke apart in such a way that it hit the hood release cable and I had to pull the grill in order to release the hood.

When my turbo went I had it towed to my house as I was going to fix it. That was the late-night emergency tow.

I had it towed from my house a few times to a mechanic they were not emergencies because the truck was at home but could be picked up at AAA's leisure.
Yep. That's the difference. The car is supposed to be inoperable for whatever the reason and they will tow it to your house to fix, or from your house to a shop. They won't tow it because it doesn't have a driver, or any other convenience.

Also, be careful of other nuances. Such as, they won't tow from a class 4 road. My dizzy melted down at the top an immaculate pea gravel road in Vermont, I failed to property diagnose it, and the tow was 50 miles. .. out of pocket... I found out at the end, I was technically, 100 yards into a class 4 road. You wouldn't know it from looking at it, and I could have released the parking brake and been off of it with gravity assist. The driver knew it, didn't tell me, and was able to charge 4.50 a mile instead of collecting the 2.50 a mile AA was paying at the time. SheZimm was with me and I chose not to be arrested by a local sheriff for assault and battery, and complained to AAA to no avail. Lesson learned. (if that phauquer by act of fate walks into a bar in Aspinwall though... :) )

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
On the German website, Ineos writes about the operating manual and online instructions as if they already exist:

For me i think:

We're starting to get cold feet just for this reason. Dealerships are just too few and far between for breakdowns that occur hundreds of miles from the nearest shop. I'm willing to deal with that reality but need a way to do so that doesn't require extra sacrifice. I think of it his way:

If I break down and have to haul a Grenadier 400 miles to a dealer for a fix I could do in my driveway - I lose a day getting the vehicle to the dealer and a second day returning home,. When the repair is complete I make another 400 mile trip to pick it up {or fly) with a second driver and then return home or continue whatever travels we were on. That's 4 days times 1.5 people times my normal hourly rate plus fuel, food, lodging, and wear to the tow vehicle. We're talking several thousand dollars of loss. And for what? A front output seal on T-case that I can do in an hour or a loose nut or loose wire?

I don't expect Ineos to saturate the continent with dealerships. That would be ridiculous. I know the warranty period will require a bit of discomfort it I get a Monday morning vehicle. But my investment in their company's success should not continue to cost me time and money long term when the solution is a simple manual either on a web site, in a book, or on a bleeding thumb drive. Just venting here...

Main service is just oil , maybe other fluids depending upon mileage. 1 hour for all fluid changes on your own driveway. Maybe a brake service , 1/2 hour. Check suspension bushings and bolts. Tap a few things , give it a wash and charge like a wounded bull.
Brake pads/ rotors are not rocket science.
Plenty of us old school guys are happy to pay our own labour rates to maintain these simple vehicles ( The Grenadier).
One day pay the man $$$ to change the timing chain.
But you saved a lot of money doing your own services in the meantime.

It's not the timing chain that scares me per se (though I'd likely pay to have it changed when the time comes), it's the umpteen components that I have to R&R before and after I pull the engine. Those are Grenadier specific in layout if not in actual item. I'm gonna look for some wool socks.

Local time
Reaction score

For me i think:

For my person they have a litle bit of additional time.
I did not buy as a early customer (Quartermaster). Ineos have to launch it and then i make a Testdrive.
After this, they have one year to fix the car teething problems.

And they have a Top free "Converter Guidelines" with "Technical Drawings" - look at this:
Additional Information of the car you can get (buy) in ETKA: https://www.etka.com/etkaportal/en/

I remember seeing that same description elsewhere, and I see it on Germany’s website, but it doesn’t seem to appear on the US site or the other country sites that I checked. Maybe Germany will get the manual, but since they don’t have that language on other websites, seems like they are backing away from releasing the manual elsewhere.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
I remember seeing that same description elsewhere, and I see it on Germany’s website, but it doesn’t seem to appear on the US site or the other country sites that I checked. Maybe Germany will get the manual, but since they don’t have that language on other websites, seems like they are backing away from releasing the manual elsewhere.
Hopefully, our German brothers and sisters will share the manual with the rest of us. :)

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I notice that Gary Pearson has departed for Andersen EV as COO back in February 2024, so it looks like I need to go postal on the retail parts availability and the workshop manual, as they were a key part of my purchase decision.

Gary had posted on LinkedIn that both were expected at the end of Qtr1 2024, so I now need to establish what the anticipated timings are and my reaction if the promised land is departing for more distant shores.

To say I am not a happy bunny is to vastly understate how pissed I am.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I notice that Gary Pearson has departed for Andersen EV as COO back in February 2024, so it looks like I need to go postal on the retail parts availability and the workshop manual, as they were a key part of my purchase decision.

Gary had posted on LinkedIn that both were expected at the end of Qtr1 2024, so I now need to establish what the anticipated timings are and my reaction if the promised land is departing for more distant shores.

To say I am not a happy bunny is to vastly understate how pissed I am.
See post #121 above. All is not lost!;)

Back
Top Bottom