The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Workshop Manuals available?

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Just some basic info such as torque specs for drain plugs on the differentials, oil pans, brake components would be enough to get going. If they choose not to release these basic specs, they are going against the entire grain of the vehicle and what it was supposed to represent. I am guessing its going to be like my other cars where I will wait until a mechanic swipes a digital copy and drops it on the forum. I am lucky enough to live near 2 dealerships, but I couldn't imagine being 500 miles or more away and having an issue.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Just spoke with a rep from Ineos - main purpose was to discuss the missing northern CA dealer situation. But, asked about the manual and was told - no plans to release a service manual. I'm not sure how much this rep really knows, but just passing along another data point.

I asked what I'm supposed to do if I need service and the dealer is 5 hours away. They don't have an answer - lots of pretty words about being committed to working it out, but no answer. No plan. No offer to ship the car back and forth (not that I'd want that). There will be a northern CA dealer eventually, but no time frame on that either. Interestingly, the LA dealers are apparently full-up, so they're sending my order to San Diego.

To the last post, above, I kindof doubt a tech hiccup is preventing the rollout of the manual. I think they underestimated the amount of push-back they'd have from dealers if they made the service manual available. Does anyone know if any countries where Ineos is rolling out have laws requiring published service manuals? If so, there might at least be some "unauthorized" versions might start floating around at some point, though not the full CAD setup.
It's not tech, its intellectual property and safety legislation; some countries insist that all auto-technicians have minimum qualifications; the UK does not, (and I have a C&G 381 anyway).

I bought the vehicle on the basis I could maintain it myself, so there will be a public falling out if I do not get access to a workshop manual.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's not tech, its intellectual property and safety legislation; some countries insist that all auto-technicians have minimum qualifications; the UK does not, (and I have a C&G 381 anyway).

I bought the vehicle on the basis I could maintain it myself, so there will be a public falling out if I do not get access to a workshop manual.
So, do you have a service manual yet?

I'm with in the towing window for AAA, from my house to the dealer at least.

Built on Purpose, maintenance not so much?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
So, do you have a service manual yet?

I'm with in the towing window for AAA, from my house to the dealer at least.

Built on Purpose, maintenance not so much?
To be fair, it has been almost perfectly reliable to date, (just water in the sills, boot washers in the doors, a temporarily cold heater and forgetful tyre pressure sensors). I did want the full manual to help design the mods I wanted to make, like installing the dashcam and I still want to know as much as the techs.

I'm not crazy about the rental model either, as that requires a live Internet connection and my lockup has no electricity and no Internet. There is not reliable 4G cellphone coverage in Leicestershire, let alone the Peak District, Morocco or Central Spain. The equivalent of the old LR manuals, (I have a complete set of LR110 pdfs on my iPad), would do. I even have the full factory manual for my 1972 Morgan and 2000 Mazda MX5 (Miata).

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
For me it is simple:
  • Ineos promised accessible Service Manuals
  • They should keep their promise
  • Will I do all the maintenance myself: sure not, I don't have all the tools and experience
  • But if I am stuck in the middle of nowhere, I want to have access to everything, as they promised! Perhaps to provide it to an experienced technician in the desert.
  • But as @Jeremy996 said: at least access to documentation to be able to do some modifications .... wasn't the case, even the additional power points weren't available a year ago, we all had to find it by ourselves :mad:
How many more Grenadiers would they have sold if they had kept their promises?

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Just spoke with a rep from Ineos - main purpose was to discuss the missing northern CA dealer situation. But, asked about the manual and was told - no plans to release a service manual. I'm not sure how much this rep really knows, but just passing along another data point.

I asked what I'm supposed to do if I need service and the dealer is 5 hours away. They don't have an answer - lots of pretty words about being committed to working it out, but no answer. No plan. No offer to ship the car back and forth (not that I'd want that). There will be a northern CA dealer eventually, but no time frame on that either. Interestingly, the LA dealers are apparently full-up, so they're sending my order to San Diego.

To the last post, above, I kindof doubt a tech hiccup is preventing the rollout of the manual. I think they underestimated the amount of push-back they'd have from dealers if they made the service manual available. Does anyone know if any countries where Ineos is rolling out have laws requiring published service manuals? If so, there might at least be some "unauthorized" versions might start floating around at some point, though not the full CAD setup.
I'm all for setting up a reward program for a leaked copy of the service manual. Anonymously, of course.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just some basic info such as torque specs for drain plugs on the differentials, oil pans, brake components would be enough to get going.
A call to your local dealer's service department can get you these, they have access to all of that at this point... Of course, they may not want to put forth the legwork, but that is a way of separating the average from the great

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
A call to your local dealer's service department can get you these, they have access to all of that at this point... Of course, they may not want to put forth the legwork, but that is a way of separating the average from the great
If they want to give you access ... not my case with my dealer, asked for it! Refused: "Ineos doesn't want it".

Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
For me it is simple:
  • Ineos promised accessible Service Manuals
  • They should keep their promise
  • Will I do all the maintenance myself: sure not, I don't have all the tools and experience
  • But if I am stuck in the middle of nowhere, I want to have access to everything, as they promised! Perhaps to provide it to an experienced technician in the desert.
  • But as @Jeremy996 said: at least access to documentation to be able to do some modifications .... wasn't the case, even the additional power points weren't available a year ago, we all had to find it by ourselves :mad:
How many more Grenadiers would they have sold if they had kept their promises?
At least one lost sale on my count. One of the primary reasons why I was considering the Grenadier is access to the service manual, especially on a completely new product from a completely new company. If I can't source repair work and part numbers and parts in a remote setting, then this vehicle becomes a pencil with no lead for me. Pointless. I'm not buying one until I see how they do or do not make good on this initial promise for very important reasons. Primarily due to my desire to know how to fix my car in remote settings, and secondly it tells me a lot about whether to trust anything that the company I'm working with has to say.

If Ineos wanted to be like Mercedes or Land Rover and keep everything under wraps, then they should have never said they would provide the service manual and partner with Bosch service centers globally in the first place.

It's a pity. I've crawled over this vehicle and it should be very easy, dare I say enjoyable, to service. If they'd let us...

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To be fair, it has been almost perfectly reliable to date, (just water in the sills, boot washers in the doors, a temporarily cold heater and forgetful tyre pressure sensors). I did want the full manual to help design the mods I wanted to make, like installing the dashcam and I still want to know as much as the techs.

I'm not crazy about the rental model either, as that requires a live Internet connection and my lockup has no electricity and no Internet. There is not reliable 4G cellphone coverage in Leicestershire, let alone the Peak District, Morocco or Central Spain. The equivalent of the old LR manuals, (I have a complete set of LR110 pdfs on my iPad), would do. I even have the full factory manual for my 1972 Morgan and 2000 Mazda MX5 (Miata).
And a nice little cubby space underneath the front seats….

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
Just some basic info such as torque specs for drain plugs on the differentials, oil pans, brake components would be enough to get going.

Local time
Reaction score
I can drive a leaky door. If the thing goes tits up, that’s another story.
I'm not worried about tits up. I'm worried about the warranty work that there appears to be plenty of. Point being, the day is shot, assuming they can fix it while you wait. If not, now you need a driver with a second car. Twice. Kinda onerous to two people. It's a recipe for wifie stink eye on the purchase. No service centers, and now no shop manuals for the simple stuff? This went from workhorse to boutique car.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
Just some basic info such as torque specs for drain plugs on the differentials, oil pans, brake components would be enough to get going. If they choose not to release these basic specs, they are going against the entire grain of the vehicle and what it was supposed to represent. I am guessing its going to be like my other cars where I will wait until a mechanic swipes a digital copy and drops it on the forum. I am lucky enough to live near 2 dealerships, but I couldn't imagine being 500 miles or more away and having an issue.
At the Ineos Tech Tour presentation a couple of weeks ago, we were advised that for owners, there will definitely be internet access to data later this year, probably based secure access including VIN for one's own vehicle. Quite a few owners have politely asked their dealer for basic info as above and it's been provided... ;)

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
At the Ineos Tech Tour presentation a couple of weeks ago, we were advised that for owners, there will definitely be internet access to data later this year, probably based secure access including VIN for one's own vehicle. Quite a few owners have politely asked their dealer for basic info as above and it's been provided... ;)
Would basic info include a wiring diagram that a professional alarm installer could use to locate necessary components such as the BCM in order to complete an alarm and remote start installation?

Back
Top Bottom