The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Overthinking is what some people do on forums. They “what if“ everything to death, won’t be happy till everyone is running 3 batteries and an 8t winch with a 30m rope.

My extension strap is 20m, managing it (or even 2) is not rocket science. If you cannot work this basic stuff out on the track, better take somebody with you that can.
Punchy ~ but not answering the basic question...

3 batteries and a 8t winch... I'm advocating a Tirfor. 🤣

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score
Batteries run winches, alternators charge batteries. Stop overthinking it.
Sorry for getting technical, but this is only the case if you have to run your winch, without your engine running. Where possible, you should be running your engine whilst using the winch. The winch is powered by a combination of the alternator’s maximum current output and the remainder coming from the batteries.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
I have an electric winch that I purchased 6 yrs ago... still in the plastic bag in the original carton (sitting in a cupboard in my study (shh! 🤫 ) I freely admit it to be an impulse buy with grand plans afoot...(not!)
It neatly fits the category of a "solution seeking a problem"
On that basis, and being a hoarder because "it might just come in handy", the option on the IG of a front tow plate has provided a perfect answer. I will buy a tow-hitch cradle for said winch and then, with the IG fitted with the optional heavy duty wiring, will have the ability to use the winch front and rear without the requirement to have it permanently installed! Well that's the plan....😉

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also not sure whether Ineos have a plan to develop a different winch setup:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121_150528.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121_150528.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 88

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Remember that there are two different front bumpers: steel and plastic. This might have caused a different construction of the supporting structure behind the bumper. They can not just cover a steel structure with a plastic cover just to match the regulations in Europe.

So I am afraid, that there will be some restrictions in terms of "availability in europe". I mean: if they design a new winch, it could be just for steel-bumper equipped cars.

The bad feeling is "why"? Is there a flaw in the existing one? Or is it too complicated to maintain/repair?

We'll see.

PS: Arkaig was faster.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I've opened a ticket at Ineos with the following questions:
  1. Can the removable winch be mounted front and rear even if the car is equipped with plastic bumpers?
  2. What is the weight of the removable winch?
  3. What is the weight of the integrated winch?
The answers according to the guy at the phone (he was very young and eagerly tried to do his best):
  1. Yes. Both, front and rear mounting is possible even with plastic bumper equipped cars.
  2. pending
  3. pending
The database which he queried didn't say anything about the weights, so these answers are pending. I'll forward them here.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If money wasn't a factor, I'd spec the winch.

But Its a very expensive option, and and im 99% sure ill be fitting an ARB bumper (or similar) down the line, and will just drop in a winch when i do.

IMHO a winch is an essential item if your doing any solo travelling off-road. even if your not doing technical trails, there are so many potential situations that can crop up where you'll need one. Moving trees, self recovery, helping locals are all things I've done in the past, and you never know when its going to happen

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
essential item if your doing any solo travelling off-road
Yeah, not sure about that. Snatch straps, shackles, ladders, shovel yes. I guess it’s a question of whether one is crawling or overlanding.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure about that. Snatch straps, shackles, ladders, shovel yes. I guess it’s a question of whether one is crawling or overlanding.
winches are so much more controlled than snatch traps.

maybe 'essential' is a bit strong, but I've got into a good few situations where a winch saved me.

Really depends on where your going, but for those who like to do some "interesting" tracks when away, id say its a no brainer

Local time
Reaction score
I've opened a ticket at Ineos with the following questions:
  1. Can the removable winch be mounted front and rear even if the car is equipped with plastic bumpers?
  2. What is the weight of the removable winch?
  3. What is the weight of the integrated winch?
The answers according to the guy at the phone (he was very young and eagerly tried to do his best):
  1. Yes. Both, front and rear mounting is possible even with plastic bumper equipped cars.
  2. pending
  3. pending
The database which he queried didn't say anything about the weights, so these answers are pending. I'll forward them here.
Not a problem and I fully understand that you want to know what you are buying!

He winch that RED Winches are supplying is a bespoke product for INEOS that has been engineered to meet the challenges that the space envelope available for an integrated winch caused our design team while making use of many of the features that you would expect to see from a RED Winch.

The Grenadier winch has a pulling capacity of 5,500kg with an internal mechanical brake and a rotating manual freespool lever that is accessed from the front of the vehicle.

The rope fitted is 15m of 11mm UHMWPE with a MBS of 11,700kg. The rope is supplied with a soft loop designed to take one of our S-RING-50’s for closed loop winching.

No load average line speed is 3m/min.

The winch is fitted with our high performance 12v Ox motor.

Operation of the winch is with a wireless remote.

The winch body is CNC machined form solid billet aluminium and the drum is running in bearings with a lip seal to protect the bearings from the elements.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Hope this helps MAX

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Quite elaborated, thank you.

What about the weight, any infos?

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
winches are so much more controlled than snatch traps.

maybe 'essential' is a bit strong, but I've got into a good few situations where a winch saved me.

Really depends on where your going, but for those who like to do some "interesting" tracks when away, id say its a no brainer
I agree that winching is generally safer than snatching. Here in Australia, our 4WD training courses teach the Hierarchy of Recovery, which has snatching as the last resort (most dangerous) option.

Attachments

• DA6EF82D-7F31-4B5D-96B1-5C64AE3DF6A3.jpeg
    DA6EF82D-7F31-4B5D-96B1-5C64AE3DF6A3.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 83

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It pains me to think that having failed with a winch you go to a snatch pull. 😳

Personally, I'd be going back to the spade and checking to see what the issue is/what the vehicle is hung up on/what's been missed.

In my day, the KERR kit was only ever for use on armoured vehicles, never on soft skinned vehicles.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
those who like to do some "interesting" tracks
To be clear, I’ve ordered the winch. My point was rather that when overlanding (eg vehicle dependent travel, such as in a country where ones vehicle is not protected by insurance) one tends to take less risks with the vehicle than one might in the local National Park on a Sunday.

That and I kind of miss the days when one didn’t require an expedition vehicle to cross a desert. I say this having been overtaken in a water crossing in Northern Mongolia by a Toyota Prius carrying a family of six.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've opened a ticket at Ineos with the following questions
  1. What is the weight of the integrated winch
I've seen it given as 32kg on a FB Group; so interesting to see what answer you get, and odd they really do seem to be reading from different scripts...

Back
Top Bottom