The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not ideal CV8 but I reckon the aftermarket will come up with something more practical and hardy. We don't want the front falling off everytime!

Couldn’t you just fix the number plate to the front grill and leave the cover off. I can’t see any forester or power linesman who’s going to be using the winch multiple times daily, taking that cover on and off and putting the number plate away each time. 🤔

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Couldn’t you just fix the number plate to the front grill and leave the cover off. I can’t see any forester or power linesman who’s going to be using the winch multiple times daily, taking that cover on and off and putting the number plate away each time. 🤔
I thought so to. Probably the car is not road legal without the cover?

Local time
Reaction score
Can't agree with you more

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a little, and on other threads, but here goes.

If you buy the front towing mount plate, with the idea that this will allow to use the portable rear winch on the front or the rear - how practical will it be having only a 3500kg winch? (Sure you can buy a different stronger winch, but weight starts to become an issue)
From the perspective of having a winch that you only have to carry with you when you are off roading, it sounds great. But will a 3500kg winch be enough in the majority of cases where you need one - assuming that you can use your pulley when needed and carry extra straps.

Is using a 3500kg winch a viable alternative for front winching.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been looking at the front towing plate as it may make it easier to mount a fixed winch.
It has the flip number plate, pre wiring, and what appears to be the centre bumper section the same as the fixed winch.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

If you buy the front towing mount plate, with the idea that this will allow to use the portable rear winch on the front or the rear - how practical will it be having only a 3500kg winch? (Sure you can buy a different stronger winch, but weight starts to become an issue)
From the perspective of having a winch that you only have to carry with you when you are off roading, it sounds great. But will a 3500kg winch be enough in the majority of cases where you need one - assuming that you can use your pulley when needed and carry extra straps.

3500kg is not enough and in many cases a 5500kg winch is not enough
Then you have to use snatch blocks, ropes etc
Sometimes the winch is just enough to help the vehicle drive out.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

You could consider carrying a second snatch block/winch ring (the latter maybe a better choice if weight is an issue) so that you can reduce the load with a triple line pull. This has the effect of reducing the length of pull and to compensate you may want to carry additional static line and a longer winch extension strap (see Spanish Burton).

It’s helpful to understand the math a bit as you need to know where the load is distributed across the rigging and use appropriate fittings/mitigate risks accordingly.

Key concern whenever winching is to reduce the load. On this aspect, shovel, hi-lift/exhaust jack and recovery boards play a key role - so one way to answer your question is to note you should make sure you’ve done everything to clear the vehicle/reduce the load before even spooling out the winch.

This is good practice anyway, but there is almost always more that one can do.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The idea is ok, but in practice you have to put the winch somewhere and most of the time it is in the way.

You can either put it in the front or in the back outside, where imho it sticks out too much. In the car you have to attach it somehow, otherwise it would be a dangerous well 30 Kg heavy projectile in an accident. But if it is attached, packing the car becomes difficult and has significant limitations.

For a weekend trip it may not be a problem, but for a longer overlanding trip it is imho not an alternative.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The idea is ok, but in practice you have to put the winch somewhere and most of the time it is in the way.

You can either put it in the front or in the back outside, where imho it sticks out too much. In the car you have to attach it somehow, otherwise it would be a dangerous well 30 Kg heavy projectile in an accident. But if it is attached, packing the car becomes difficult and has significant limitations.

For a weekend trip it may not be a problem, but for a longer overlanding trip it is imho not an alternative.
If I was going long term i would certainly get the winch fitted.
I doubt i will even get the portable winch

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But will a 3500kg winch be enough in the majority of cases where you need one - assuming that you can use your pulley when needed and carry extra straps.

To a large extent it depends upon what are your "majority of cases".

I have a Warn M8000 which is not that far off the 3,500kg you are talking about, and it has done absolutely fine in some pretty hard conditions.

Also consider that an 8,000lb winch was plenty fine for these guys on more than one trip, and those vehicles were loaded to the gunnels and not exactly travelling on well maintained tracks:
file.jpeg

In some instances, the portable winch will be a better choice ~ when you want to recover back in the direction you came.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is that your flip up number plate mod?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
To a large extent it depends upon what are your "majority of cases".

I have a Warn M8000 which is not that far off the 3,500kg you are talking about, and it has done absolutely fine in some pretty hard conditions.

Also consider that an 8,000lb winch was plenty fine for these guys on more than one trip, and those vehicles were loaded to the gunnels and not exactly travelling on well maintained tracks:
View attachment 7795943

In some instances, the portable winch will be a better choice ~ when you want to recover back in the direction you came.
Unrelated to the thread title, but how awesome would a Grenadier Trophy event be if run in the spirit of the true Camel Trophy. I don’t want to watch people canoe or race bicycles-I want mud and rock and all that nature can offer!

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Unrelated to the thread title, but how awesome would a Grenadier Trophy event be if run in the spirit of the true Camel Trophy. I don’t want to watch people canoe or race bicycles-I want mud and rock and all that nature can offer!
Just tell me where to show up I am in

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That sounds very much like a completely different thread ... please!

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Most of the photos show the winch cable having a soft loop on the end instead of a hook. I wonder if they will include a stopper with it

Attachments

• 20210818_201223-1200x1200.jpg
    20210818_201223-1200x1200.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ROPE_BOSS_03-1200x1200.png
    ROPE_BOSS_03-1200x1200.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 25

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I immediately recognized this picture: the South African movie "The Gods must be crazy" from 1980, hilarious movie about the clash between "civilisation" and a Boshiman (don't know if the spelling of the last word is right): a must see!

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonsoir
Sur mon DEFENDER depuis 2012; je me suis servi trois fois du treuil.
Une première fois pour sortir un RANGE P38 d'une mauvaise situation sur une piste isolée du Maroc.
Une seconde fois pour sortir un DISCO II d'une situation périlleuse dans une rivière au Maroc
Une troisième fois pour me sortir d'une situation périlleuse suite à un écart de couduite.

Cela reste malgré tout un élément important de sécurité pour les autres et parfois pour sois.

Bonne soirée.

Back
Top Bottom