The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Jumping in on this conversation a bit late. But did we discuss Bogout like wheel recovery systems?

This coupled with a dead man anchor and Maxtrax can make a perfect lightweight portable solution.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
It was discussed in another group a while back. It might work in some situations and then again it might not. The rope would get damaged quickly.
A budget solution that might help out some , but personally I wouldn't rely on it if I was traveling alone or remotely.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:50 PM
Reaction score
It was interesting to read this piece on voluntary restraint on some Australian tracks.

Also, 3 years of rain. I know it's a large country, but my personal newsfeed has only really been full of drought conditions, with maybe the odd flash flood.

The message "The disastrous effects of a few fun hours in the bush will be felt for generations" is something that's been drilled into anyone in the UK used to enjoying green laning for the last 10 years.

It can be very much frowned upon pulling out a winchline on a track; or maybe just a more fundamental question as to whether you should be on the track at all; whereas this article ends with a winch being part of the solution.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
It was interesting to read this piece on voluntary restraint on some Australian tracks.

Also, 3 years of rain. I know it's a large country, but my personal newsfeed has only really been full of drought conditions, with maybe the odd flash flood.

The message "The disastrous effects of a few fun hours in the bush will be felt for generations" is something that's been drilled into anyone in the UK used to enjoying green laning for the last 10 years.

It can be very much frowned upon pulling out a winchline on a track; or maybe just a more fundamental question as to whether you should be on the track at all; whereas this article ends with a winch being part of the solution.
Trying to restrict 4x4 action in Australia is like trying to remove guns from the American public.
You can close some tracks but people will make others. Same with mountain bikers. The landscape is getting trashed.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Opinions is what I wanted. :)

You are of course right, I do actually not need a winch. However, I don't really 'need' the entire Grenadier, to be honest. And I agree that this is a luxury. On the other hand, even a 50% off road use will likely 'need' a winch very seldomly. They are just for the bad moments which no one wants to experience.

If fitting a winch of the same quality and power is feasable for about that price or less, it's a nobrainer: I would not order one now.

At least for that reason my question still remains.
Using a winch without a good knowledge of 'winching' is a highly dangerous affair. I would strongly recommend against a winch unless it was something that you really did need and are happy to have the appropriate training in the use of. Far safer going off road in company of another vehicle.

Local time
Reaction score
Using a winch without a good knowledge of 'winching' is a highly dangerous affair. I would strongly recommend against a winch unless it was something that you really did need and are happy to have the appropriate training in the use of. Far safer going off road in company of another vehicle.
I wonder if I can mount a chain saw on the winch?

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score

Why only the last 10 years ? People have been trashing the planet for long before that. It's what humans do - we wreck stuff.

I don't pretend to fully understand green laning, nor have I ever been to Australia. But, having travelled remote in my own large and mostly sparsely populated country it's been my observation, human nature being what it is, there's a marked difference in the perception, and toleration, of what is bad behaviour out in the bush (middle of nowhere) vs someone's back yard (comparatively speaking).

Social norms change when you're 200 or 300 km from a settlement - not a city, a settlement, hamlet etc.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's so.

Last edited:
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Opinions is what I wanted. :)

You are of course right, I do actually not need a winch. However, I don't really 'need' the entire Grenadier, to be honest. And I agree that this is a luxury. On the other hand, even a 50% off road use will likely 'need' a winch very seldomly. They are just for the bad moments which no one wants to experience.

If fitting a winch of the same quality and power is feasable for about that price or less, it's a nobrainer: I would not order one now.

At least for that reason my question still remains.
I guess I missed this post. Seriously, 50% off road use you'd likely use a winch more often than "very seldomly". At least many users would.

We need to recognise some of the pictures posted on this thread the drivers are using a winch to proceed through an obstacle (mud hole etc) in order to continue on. Likely they know the route beforehand, know they'll need a winch, have one in order to reach their destination. Or at the very least know the odds are high they'll have the opportunity to use one - even just for "fun".

Not for emergency use only.

Again it comes down to planned use. And how "prepared" you want to be for different possibilities.

Some Grenadiers will never see dirt. Some will turn around at the sight of possible trouble. Some will be travel in well equipped and experienced groups. No shame in any of it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
The best answer to my opening post came from Dave:

I think a winch is a bit like seat belts and airbags.
You don't need seat belts or airbags until you do.

That sums it up perfectly.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why only the last 10 years ? People have been trashing the planet for long before that. It's what humans do - we wreck stuff.
It's the mainstream message that's relatively new, not the trashing of the planet.

The days of Camel Trophy then vs Trek Challenge now.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
The best answer to my opening post came from Dave:

That sums it up perfectly.

Kind of yes - but to the point @painter made, sometimes a winch isn't about emergency use. Sometimes it's just the mechanically more gentle option to get passed an obstacle.

That's why I'm a bit surprised that people will frown on you using a winch in a green-lane situation; when used effectively a winch is actually a lot more gentle on the environment, and I think they should be used as such. Give the obstacle a go for sure, but don't keep spinning tires in the "hopes" that one will bite and get you over it on your 9th attempt -- just accept that traction ain't your friend after the first or second attempt, and use all the tools in your aresenal to help you by before you really break something or wreck the track for others. The 4WD action guys in Australia do this often - they'll bust out the winch right away if they don't think the rig is likely to make it without. It's gentler on everything involved.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
look after the tracks or the tracks will become closed one way or another. suits everyone to minimise damage and if that's winching then that's what one should do.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
@ChasingOurTrunks

Totally agree.

And there is more to it: pull a tree from away the path, help others ...

Apart from that: If I go for a walk or a hike in the forest, I always take a knife with me. Not because I 'need' it (though I often 'use' it), but because it's always been an item to carry with me in a forest since I was 14 years old. I feel otherwise incomplete, as it's just part of the game - just like a winch for 4x4 ventures.

Of course, it's expensive. But I consider it an investment - in particular in times of 10% inflation.

With that in mind, it's almost a no-brainer.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's why I'm a bit surprised that people will frown on you using a winch in a green-lane situation; when used effectively a winch is actually a lot more gentle on the environment, and I think they should be used as such.

There's obviously much history associated with our vehicular rights of way in the UK (and big differences between them also) but you have to consider that if you need a winch then are the ground conditions such that you shouldn't be there with a vehicle in the first place?

It's a judgement every 4x4 owner has to make for themselves but too many clearly make the wrong one.

Back
Top Bottom