The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
All I think I heard was that it was "some German green stuff".

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
All I think I heard was that it was "some German green stuff".
maybe this stuff here?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
maybe this stuff here?
Only after you have topped up all the grenadier fluids

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Do you want to tell me that up to date there is still no use and maintenance manual detailing the necessary fluids?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is that a rip off of that French muck?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Perhaps it was never put in (or insufficient was put in)?
I think this is most likely if they pressure tested it and it was ok. Good systems on manufacturing lines should prevent things like this happening but my experience is that they still do occasionally.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you want to tell me that up to date there is still no use and maintenance manual detailing the necessary fluids?
Seems so, engine oil specs are mentioned in the owners manual and it also states to check other fluids weekly. I can't seem to find what the other fluid specs are if they do need topping up. Hopefully a service manual will become available sooner rather than later.... 😀

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Of course they are. Electronic sensors provide vast amounts of data, much of which is nonsensical (no pun intended). This is knowledge from the first semester for electronics engineers. Temperature, humidity, engine temperature, even vibration - this is the normal habitat of sensors. This is their fateful destiny.

The trick is in the filtering. I've had many a battle with implausible data from sensors. But since they are capable of providing thousands of measurements per second, you can (and actually have to) write algorithms that throw away implausible values. This is usually done using a Bayesian minimum variance estimator (often implemented as a Kalman filter). This is exactly the kind of knowledge that makes a Bosch system a Bosch system and makes a car a reliable car. And it's why these high-end products are so expensive.

After filtering, you average out the values and get a (reasonably) reliable result.

I have often seen OBD logs from my old W203. It produces dozens of error messages every minute, but if they are found to be implausible, they never reach the cockpit and are just stored as an MRU list in the ECU memory only for debugging purposes.

With respect ot what @PBD has experienced, I find it totally unacceptable that INEOS unleashes such an immature system on the customers and ruins its trust, which is the perfect way to shoot itself out of the market after the disastrous web launch and the totally insane billing and the just plain wrong built cars (wrong color, wrong engine ... unbelievable) let alone the completely incompetent "Customer Support".

The technician is of course right with his explanations, but what good is that? In the end, he's just the whipping boy who has to take the brunt of everything that management has screwed up.

What a shit. 💩

Edit: refinements
A very clear explanation emax.
I am too old and narly to give 2 hoots about warranties, insurances, safety factors or reliance on manufacturers standing by their products (do they ever). I am buying into what I believe to be a structurally rugged vehicle capable of taking more abuse than I ever could whilst getting from A to B in a modicum of comfort with a large giggle factor. Having experienced a MY running dead ship through a force 8, the only thing that really matter is propulsion.....SO as long as the wheels to go round I'll be satisfied.
Is it therefore feasible, with your experience, to create an algorithm with tinkerable variables to remove all the warnings nanny states require, and pointless electro-mechanically frippery (I hope not to many). I think the 'off-road' function actually does this, though its speed limited......(or maybe we just need to figure out how to raise that off road speed threshold?). I understand our covert services have already requested this, but we mere mortals will not benefit from this.
Nevertheless really looking forward to receiving my tonka toy with all its foibles in 3 weeks.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Scrolling through some menus today and came across this. It wouldn't scroll the message at first, i had to use the dial to highlight it first:
WP_20230518_008.jpg

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A very clear explanation emax.
I am too old and narly to give 2 hoots about warranties, insurances, safety factors or reliance on manufacturers standing by their products (do they ever). I am buying into what I believe to be a structurally rugged vehicle capable of taking more abuse than I ever could whilst getting from A to B in a modicum of comfort with a large giggle factor. Having experienced a MY running dead ship through a force 8, the only thing that really matter is propulsion.....SO as long as the wheels to go round I'll be satisfied.
Is it therefore feasible, with your experience, to create an algorithm with tinkerable variables to remove all the warnings nanny states require, and pointless electro-mechanically frippery (I hope not to many). I think the 'off-road' function actually does this, though its speed limited......(or maybe we just need to figure out how to raise that off road speed threshold?). I understand our covert services have already requested this, but we mere mortals will not benefit from this.
Nevertheless really looking forward to receiving my tonka toy with all its foibles in 3 weeks.
As the elder member of this forum (unless I've been sneakily usurped!) I wholeheartedly agree. Ive just spent a moment or several wondering what to add - and there ain't anything. You've said it. Good on yer!
Will the member who comes up with the algorithm please include me on his distribution list? Please........

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As the elder member of this forum (unless I've been sneakily usurped!) I wholeheartedly agree. Ive just spent a moment or several wondering what to add - and there ain't anything. You've said it. Good on yer!
Will the member who comes up with the algorithm please include me on his distribution list? Please........
Something JLR owners wish had occurred more often over the last 30 years - that their vehicles reliably did the A to B without breaking down. My sister learnt firsthand why buying a flashy Disco was an error! Spent as much time breaking down than on the road!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Something JLR owners wish had occurred more often over the last 30 years - that their vehicles reliably did the A to B without breaking down. My sister learnt firsthand why buying a flashy Disco was an error! Spent as much time breaking down than on the road!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Glad I've got a diesel, until someone tells me about the bugs that live in the tank...

"Spider invasion prompts Mazda software fix

Petrol-sniffing spiders have forced Mazda to issue a voluntary recall notice so it can apply a software fix to its cars.

The yellow sac spider is attracted to the smell of petrol, and will weave its web in engines, causing a blockage and build-up of pressure.

The problem increased the risk of fire, Mazda said.

A software update will be applied to recalled cars to monitor the pressure level and warn drivers of any danger."

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Glad I've got a diesel, until someone tells me about the bugs that live in the tank...

Petrol-sniffing spiders have forced Mazda to issue a voluntary recall notice so it can apply a software fix to its cars.

The yellow sac spider is attracted to the smell of petrol, and will weave its web in engines, causing a blockage and build-up of pressure.

The problem increased the risk of fire, Mazda said.

A software update will be applied to recalled cars to monitor the pressure level and warn drivers of any danger."

That article is a little old but I too have gone diesel 👍

MacBlooby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
I have had all kind of messages TPMS (reset and better), Transmission Error, Steering error, Front diff error, Yellow triangle and Engine management light. They all have settled down and not come back on. Hopefully it is just the box of tricks settling down. Less concerned now than the first trip home.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So this "Babbling Idiot" failure mode seems to fit the current circumstances around the Grenadier and would explain why Ineos seems quite relaxed about a software update sorting apparent problems in multiple discrete systems.:
Screenshot_20230521_101417.jpgScreenshot_20230521_101348.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

Don't be too smug :LOL:

""When you let one of these old diesels idle for example on sand on a hot day, spiders that normally will not move in the daylight, are running towards the car. They are highly disturbed."

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So this "Babbling Idiot" failure mode seems to fit the current circumstances around the Grenadier and would explain why Ineos seems quite relaxed about a software update sorting apparent problems in multiple discrete systems.:
View attachment 7812870View attachment 7812869
I was identified as a "babbling idiot" long before there was such complicated software in motor vehicles, and like the Grenadier people just learnt to ignore me. :sleep:

Back
Top Bottom