The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Which spares to carry for remote travel?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
The main issue was with shock absorbers , which suggests they didn't perform adequate testing on corrugations + loading

"The total damage toll ran to five tyres, four cracked wheel carriers, one rear view mirror knocked off and a few more damaged, two G 350s with non-operative airconditioning, two AdBlue tanks breaking their mounts, 10 shock absorbers and a cracked radiator hose from a reversing incident."
Yes, it was an interesting exercise, more to my point was this was just one run down one (albeit long) track. This wouldn't be an issue for a stock LC. Hopefully IG have got it right 🤞

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
Yes, it was an interesting exercise, more to my point was this was just one run down one (albeit long) track. This wouldn't be an issue for a stock LC. Hopefully IG have got it right 🤞
"When punctures over the following days were on the same vehicle and always on the left-hand rear tyre, we began to suspect that the Europeans were driving too far to the left of the track and in the rocks and mulga.... it was no surprise to find a left-rear shock leaking on one of the vehicles driven by the Germans, incidentally, the same one that received most of the tyre punctures."

It's not always the vehicle's fault!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
With that list of spares it does sound like you either currently drive a Landrover or used to ;):unsure:
Yes the vehicle I’ve recently sold was a defender 2.2tdci. Only minor issues while touring. Just as many issues with my hilux especially shock absorbers and rear leaf springs. Eventually it was held together with silicone sealant and cable ties.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
"When punctures over the following days were on the same vehicle and always on the left-hand rear tyre, we began to suspect that the Europeans were driving too far to the left of the track and in the rocks and mulga.... it was no surprise to find a left-rear shock leaking on one of the vehicles driven by the Germans, incidentally, the same one that received most of the tyre punctures."

It's not always the vehicle's fault!
Sometimes the Bustards fly into you out there.

Attachments

• L1000735.JPG
    L1000735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Local time
Reaction score
I drive reasonably long loops in a vintage D1 at this point and all my critical spares fit in a rather small box. Still blows friends minds when I stack a pair of timkin tapered roller bearings on the table and explain that it covers any of the four corners of my rover. (One friend had tried to order front wheel bearings for their 4Runner prior to our trip and been shipped 2 left front units.) Otherwise I carry a known good thermostat, some small bits to rebuild an alternator, one spare shock that could be used in a pinch front or rear to get home, and a pair of sealed ujoints with spare retainers to rebuild the front or rear driveshaft. The rest is just chemicals, bailing wire, welding rods and some duct tape.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This one ended up on the local Aboriginal camp fire that night.
Worst animal strike damage I have ever had was in an HQ holden and we hit an Emu at 100kph. It wrapped the radiator around the engine block with the fan going right through the radiator and out the other side and it pulled the wings of the car in.

The emu got up and ran away.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The road kill cafe "Bull Bar & Grill" The funny part about that is that my series 2 has a stainless grill that can be used for exactly that purpose, two screws and straight over the coals...We used to take a plough disc for the hot plate come wok, with large tent pegs...and steel mesh for the grill...don't forget the alfoil plug in the centre of the plough disc to trap the juices...yum...I would have loved to try the Bustard, a fairly expensive meal if you are caught, apparently...the local Aboriginal camp fire perfect...what is the taste like Les?

Last edited:
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Fantastic! like an active catch can, I also found this video on it, thanks for the information @CountyV8 (y)
This is great - more manufacturers should be using something similar. Unlike a aftermarket catch can, it's closed loop, so wouldn't need periodic draining of collected fluids or changing of filter elements.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is great - more manufacturers should be using something similar. Unlike a aftermarket catch can, it's closed loop, so wouldn't need periodic draining of collected fluids or changing of filter elements.
Much better and probably more efficient than a catch can.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I hit one at 180km/h in a twin engine turbo prop on the take-off roll a few years ago. It came out of no where, was hoping we would miss it. Now you do not normally hear a bird strike from the cockpit, but we heard this one clearly. The take-off was rejected. It went through the right hand prop, 4 of the 6 blades were smeared with blood, as was the fuselage. It was a remote aerodrome, and we waited for 6 hrs for an engineer to arrive and inspect the aircraft. No damage, so we departed. The passengers in that part of Australia are a hardy bunch, no whining, no tears, just happy to finally depart.

Not sure where that one ended up.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The road kill cafe "Bull Bar & Grill" The funny part about that is that my series 2 has a stainless grill that can be used for exactly that purpose, two screws and straight over the coals...We used to take a plough disc for the hot plate come wok, with large tent pegs...and steel mesh for the grill...don't forget the alfoil plug in the centre of the plough disc to trap the juices...yum...I would have loved to try the Bustard, a fairly expensive meal if you are caught, apparently...the local Aboriginal camp fire perfect...what is the taste like Les?
Well that one I never got a "look in" but years ago I had some and found it bit dry but quite ok. Magpie Gees are much more acceptable and there used to be an open season up in the Top End. Don't know about these days as the world is changing so fast.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Worst animal strike damage I have ever had was in an HQ holden and we hit an Emu at 100kph. It wrapped the radiator around the engine block with the fan going right through the radiator and out the other side and it pulled the wings of the car in.

The emu got up and ran away.
I mean, I read that and it's sort of pleasing that an emu is on the coat of arms.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday, the INEOS rep, in Australia, confirmed INEOS were working on supplying different spares kits for owners for various uses like remote travel, regional travel and everyday use.

No timetable given, but I got a strong impression it was being worked on now. With any luck maybe the next 6-12 months.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday, the INEOS rep, in Australia, confirmed INEOS were working on supplying different spares kits for owners for various uses like remote travel, regional travel and everyday use.
Brilliant. Is that just for Australia or a general Ineos thing ? would definitely be keen on these kits myself as we are getting the Grenadier for overlanding.

Back
Top Bottom