The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Which spares to carry for remote travel?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score

OK, pretty playful presentation style here but an excellent starting point as one starts to consider what spares should be carried when one is heading out ‘beyond the black stump’ (eg Australian for remote areas).

Just the R/A/G visualisation etc is of interest. IMHO, EU-based members would be in the Transcaucasus or Central Asia (to the East) and/or Sahara (South) before encountering an equivalent level of remoteness to the red zones Ronny has marked. North America… perhaps eg Sonoran Desert might count? Or not, it’s all in chopper range, I think…

Anyway, food for thought. No mention of fencing wire though so clearly Ronny is not a former farm lad.

Wouldn’t it be great if Ineos made these parts available as kits, ‘Built on Purpose’ and all that…

nb: attention discussion of snorkel sock (14’00”) as per earlier thread on raised air intake/cyclonic cleaner.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Re. the diesel filter at the 15.00m mark: the standard fit for diesel versions in Australia according to JustinH. will be two in-line filters. A friend was at the local Brisbane dealer last week and was impressed that there was a 'centrifugal ' air-oil separator visible when the large cover was removed from the engine by the sales chap. I'm presuming, if this is a final standard fit, then a "catch can" may not be required...?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Re. the diesel filter at the 15.00m mark: the standard fit for diesel versions in Australia according to JustinH. will be two in-line filters. A friend was at the local Brisbane dealer last week and was impressed that there was a 'centrifugal ' air-oil separator visible when the large cover was removed from the engine by the sales chap. I'm presuming, if this is a final standard fit, then a "catch can" may not be required...?
Denis the guys from Ineos mentioned they had something similar (not sure of the details) to a catch can already installed, and that a catch can on the BMW was a bad idea.

In terms of Ronny’s advice, he’s a pretty straight shooter if not a little bogan, but he knows his stuff.

I’ve always traveled with teo or three vehicles (nearly always landcruisers) so we’ve been able to take lots of spares shared amongst us - lightens the load a bit.

And they always bite you when they least expect it. I had a bilstein shock separate from its top mount out at Lake Mackay in WA on a recent trip. I didn’t have spare shocks but one of the other guys did. Saved a very dodgy 200km trip limping back to Kiwirrkurra community to get it fixed.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Denis the guys from Ineos mentioned they had something similar (not sure of the details) to a catch can already installed, and that a catch can on the BMW was a bad idea.

In terms of Ronny’s advice, he’s a pretty straight shooter if not a little bogan, but he knows his stuff.

I’ve always traveled with teo or three vehicles (nearly always landcruisers) so we’ve been able to take lots of spares shared amongst us - lightens the load a bit.

And they always bite you when they least expect it. I had a bilstein shock separate from its top mount out at Lake Mackay in WA on a recent trip. I didn’t have spare shocks but one of the other guys did. Saved a very dodgy 200km trip limping back to Kiwirrkurra community to get it fixed.
Yeah, it’s a good point. While we’re most often travelling solo I’ll definitely put a post up to see if any forum members want to join an East-West-across-the-middle itinerary (or part thereof) later this year.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
Air-Oil separator....that's interesting:unsure:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've travelled in the red zones in W.A quite often, and while I carry spares I think a well maintained vehicle is paramount. I think over time collectively we will gather a list of "necessary" spares, you know the ones that happen to be required often and that are IG specific. Think VDJ landcruiser and alternators, you'll get what I mean.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've travelled in the red zones in W.A quite often, and while I carry spares I think a well maintained vehicle is paramount. I think over time collectively we will gather a list of "necessary" spares, you know the ones that happen to be required often and that are IG specific. Think VDJ landcruiser and alternators, you'll get what I mean.
It will take some time for this knowledge to accumulate, and as early adopters it will literally be failures on our expeditions that will be the source from which such lessons are learned. At the same time we will be challenging Ineos themselves to provide after sales support (insight, services and parts) to owners operating their vehicles in remote areas and/or outside their country of delivery.

For me the question is less “what do I need for the Kymberley?” and more a question of what one would want in the back for South America, West Africa etc.
Operating hypothesis is that the only real way to develop a view is to head into the outback and see what breaks.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the BMW B57 engine has an air oil separator as standard, it runs the crankcase gases through it, the oil cools and drops out of the gas and runs back to the sump, and the gas goes in into the intake.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It will take some time for this knowledge to accumulate, and as early adopters it will literally be failures on our expeditions that will be the source from which such lessons are learned. At the same time we will be challenging Ineos themselves to provide after sales support (insight, services and parts) to owners operating their vehicles in remote areas and/or outside their country of delivery.

For me the question is less “what do I need for the Kymberley?” and more a question of what one would want in the back for South America, West Africa etc.
Operating hypothesis is that the only real way to develop a view is to head for (eg) the Kymberley and see what breaks.
Totally agree, I think after 1.5m klms Ineos should have an idea of what is needed re parts, whether they are forthcoming with the information, that remains to be seen. I for one hope they will for their brand sake.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the BMW B57 engine has an air oil separator as standard, it runs the crankcase gases through it, the oil cools and drops out of the gas and runs back to the sump, and the gas goes in into the intake.
That's good to know (y)

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, pretty playful presentation style here but an excellent starting point as one starts to consider what spares should be carried when one is heading out ‘beyond the black stump’ (eg Australian for remote areas).

Black Stump? I thought it was Dingo Piss Creek! ;)

Ronny is a big fan of the ol' fencing wire, seen him discuss it in one of his tool kit vids I think.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very cool!

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a good point. While we’re most often travelling solo I’ll definitely put a post up to see if any forum members want to join an East-West-across-the-middle itinerary (or part thereof) later this year.
IF I have my Grenny by then and IF I have any cashola left over from buying said Grenny and IF I have the time and IF the other half...

IF the stars align I'll be there with bells on. Perfect excuse to visit my mate in Perth.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure I heard someone say there was also a pre-fuel filter to catch water as well... or did I imagine that?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the Australian FB page I was chatting to a guy who was going to do the CSR in May, I was quietly concerned about him doing this. As @globalgregors said, lets try it in the Kimberly first. I did admire his courage.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score
Totally agree, I think after 1.5m klms Ineos should have an idea of what is needed re parts, whether they are forthcoming with the information, that remains to be seen. I for one hope they will for their brand sake.
I think after 1,5 million km they should have known which parts have to be replaced by stronger ones…

Back
Top Bottom