The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Which spares to carry for remote travel?

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I have spares for what I call “show stoppers” these are the major ones.

Starter motor (have an auto)
Accessories belt and tension pulley
Smaller accessory belt - to bypass failed accessories
Alternator
2 Airbags - for rear airbag suspension
Crank angle sensor
Major coolant hoses
Epoxy putty
Enough fluids for one component that dropped all it’s fluid (Engine, trans, diff, brakes)
Tyre plug kit
Plastic and stainless cable ties
Quality gaffa tape.
Most of these items are parts I have already replaced, before they failed.
A tool box that can pretty much do anything.

For just about everything else, I will have to limp somewhere.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not certain, but i heard that the Australian spec additional fuel filter had been rolled out to everyone, head office thought it was a good idea. Not sure if it’s true - EU guys will find it or not in time. Very impressed you guys are dismantling (and re-mantling) your cars; thank you😉👍
One reason I am excited at the prospect of my Trialmaster arriving "soon" is that it begs to be adjusted/adapted/altered.... I'm sure it's a "LandRover" hangover... it is with me and what's more...it can be very therapeutic!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Engine oil filter for B58 petrol engine possibly the same for B57 also. I removed Ineos label to reveal original part no.
someone please put in resources if useful IMG_1929.jpeg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Cutting that hole is the preferred method on a Chevy Suburban and family. Way too much work to do otherwise.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have spares for what I call “show stoppers” these are the major ones.
Enough fluids for one component that dropped all it’s fluid (Engine, trans, diff, brakes)
In one of the Peking to Paris races in 1907 (or the 1908 one , memory is fading) one of the cars lost its transmission oil. They packed it with bananas, a sort of lubricant.
So you may want to consider a bunch of bananas.
Thank me when you're stuck outback :cool:

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
We try to put a kit together of spare parts when going remote.
As important, we take the proper/special tools & supplies required to effect the repair.
There is a Grenadier already entered for the 2024 running of this 5,000+ mile (one way) 10 day winter rally event.

Otis ALCAN Arctic Ocean.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Back in the day, my local LR dealer put a spares package together for me for a solo trip to Iceland. It was on a use or return basis with a nominal restocking fee for returned boxed items. In the end, I don't even think they charged me for that.

Now that would be a valued added service Ineos Aftersales could offer for free/small fee. It would certainly signal an intention that Ineos wanted their vehicles to go places.

Ineos ~ you can have that idea for free. 😜

Last edited:

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For a friends Series 1 they 'cut a leather seal from an old leather Gurkha soldier’s hat'
Wonder what MacGyver repairs will be discovered for the Grenadier?
Story of Ray's family trip from London to Singapore:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back in the day, my local LR dealer put a spares package together for me for a solo trip to Iceland. It was on a use or return basis with a nominal restocking fee for returned boxed items. In the end, I don't even think they charged me for that.

Now that would be a valued added service Ineos Aftersales could offer for free/small fee. It would certainly signal an intention that Ineos wanted their vehicles to go places.

Ineos ~ you can have that idea for free. 😜
I can’t remember now who told me this, it may have been at one of the drive events, but I was told that agents in Australia were looking at putting a remote spares kit together, although I am pretty sure it was for purchase not loan

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is a Grenadier already entered for the 2024 running of this 5,000+ mile (one way) 10 day winter rally event.
A good friend of mine and I were planning on Running the Alcan 2024 and recently realized even the entire waitlist is full already... Looks like a run at Summer 2026 will be our new plan

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t remember now who told me this, it may have been at one of the drive events, but I was told that agents in Australia were looking at putting a remote spares kit together, although I am pretty sure it was for purchase not loan
I’m sure one of the guyyfrom SLRV on the Goldie mentioned it at the Mt Tambourine drive day as well.

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A good friend of mine and I were planning on Running the Alcan 2024 and recently realized even the entire waitlist is full already... Looks like a run at Summer 2026 will be our new plan
We are members of the Rainier Auto Sports Club that puts this and other events on. Even though the wait list is closed, would contact RASC to let them know of your interest. The best way to get an entry is to look immediately after the previous rally is run for the next events entries to open. The 2024 participants will have first dibs on 2026. If full get on the wait-list while it is still open. Two years between events, more than a few will drop out. This is a well organized event with more than a few professional drivers regularly participating. Have had entries from as far away as South Africa and Auckland NZ. Any help planning we can give please let us know. We are located not far from the start line!
Note RASC has their Nor'wester Rally 2023 - Oregon backroads - September 15-17, 2023 - entries are still open.
Video from our 2016 run, our car is at 4:08
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGrwgW3aKA

Last edited:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
In one of the Peking to Paris races in 1907 (or the 1908 one , memory is fading) one of the cars lost its transmission oil. They packed it with bananas, a sort of lubricant.
So you may want to consider a bunch of bananas.
Thank me when you're stuck outback :cool:
In my youth Many years ago!) I've used a green banana to seal a radiator leak (in a Brazilian manufactured Willys) whileoff the grid in the (dry) interior of Brazil. Just lucky my Brazilian assistant knew the fix and there was a banana tree nearby.....

Back
Top Bottom