The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel rim size

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
Have ordered a Trialmaster but the K02s are more aggressive than ideal for a daily drive. Was thinking of ordering a second set of steelies or finding an alloy set locally and using the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or maybe some more road biased Coopers, use the K02s when venturing out of town.
Those Falken Wildpeak AT3W are great tyres, and very good in the wet. I’ve had them on the defender and no complaints. I’ve had BFG,s also on my old Toyota pickup, got over 50k miles out of them, very good on the wet clay roads of Malawi but seemed to prone to punctures as they got older. This was 12 years ago and so probably an older version of BFG,s.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Those Falken Wildpeak AT3W are great tyres, and very good in the wet. I’ve had them on the defender and no complaints. I’ve had BFG,s also on my old Toyota pickup, got over 50k miles out of them, very good on the wet clay roads of Malawi but seemed to prone to punctures as they got older. This was 12 years ago and so probably an older version of BFG,s.
Like all tyres it depends where they are made. Falkens are indeed great BTW.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
I didn’t realise that the IG had a rare-ish stud pattern.

Glad I changed my steelies to the alloys now. Surely it will be easier to a set of steels aftermarket than either paying through the nose for the IG ones or getting some boy racer after market offerings at about £300-£400 each.

Ideally I would like a summer and winter set.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Glad I changed my steelies to the alloys now. Surely it will be easier to a set of steels aftermarket than either paying through the nose for the IG ones or getting some boy racer after market offerings at about £300-£400 each.

Seems to be harder to find aftermarket steelies than alloys. You can get steelies that suit the Sprinter but they top out at 16" so do not clear the brake calipers on a Grenadier. There is a more reasonable range of 17" & 18" alloys available as I guess the Sprinter market mostly goes to a larger wheel when swapping over to alloys.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The reason I’m going for steel wheels, is that having changed and repaired tyres in the middle of nowhere, I found the alloy wheels are too easy to damage when using tyre levers, steel wheels however can take a beating. All depends what your doing with the vehicle I suppose.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Adding to the aftermarket discussions here, companies like BRAID and EvoCourse custom make wheels to fit any application.

From what I've seen they're already in the design stage for Grenadier wheels, and they should be on the market shortly after the Grenadier.

These are not "boy racer wheels" but immensely strong alloys that are used in Baja/Dakar by many international teams. They're made in Europe to high standards, unlike many china made aftermarket rims (cough cough Black Rhino).

I've specced steels on my Grenadier, but will probably order some BRAIDs once we've worked out the required offset needed to fit some 33's

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Like many options I’m torn and hop back and forth on the wheels. I like the alloys and I think they look great. But, going with steelies will allow me time to find a set of wheels I love as opposed to like. Weird as it is, I’m a 5-spoke kinda guy and the old Land Rover Defender wheels are one of my all time favorites. Not that they would work on Gren but a set of 5 would be about $1100 - $220 a wheel isn’t bad at all.
4C755C60-5F24-4335-BED5-C5407E4BB9ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Like many options I’m torn and hop back and forth on the wheels. I like the alloys and I think they look great. But, going with steelies will allow me time to find a set of wheels I love as opposed to like. Weird as it is, I’m a 5-spoke kinda guy and the old Land Rover Defender wheels are one of my all time favorites. Not that they would work on Gren but a set of 5 would be about $1100 - $220 a wheel isn’t bad at all.
View attachment 7798633
1671889394150.png1671889493855.png

You're probably already aware of them, but the AEV pintler is a great 5 spoke design imo!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
I too am looking at fitting different tyres but at $880 for the upgrade from the standard tyre package I'll see how they go, I've not heard too may good things about BF Goodrich tyes of late, but the local Parks and Wildlife guys use them so they either are good or that there is a special deal with them?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't buy any of the skepticism around the BFG KO2.

BFG KO2s are specc'd from the factory on a lot of top-end off-road vehicles here in the U.S. (Bronco, Bronco Raptor, Ford F-150 Raptor, Jeep Rubicon, etc.), and are probably the most popular choice when people "upgrade" tires on their truck or off-road SUV (when looking for a more off-road oriented All-Terrain tire). There are so many of these tires in circulation there are bound to be some complaints. In addition, there are different versions of the tire: it comes in two different rubber compounds - one that lasts longer but is not 3PMSF, and one that is softer but is 3PMSF. The tire also comes in many different load ratings. These variables make comparing the tire complicated, as many people are unaware of the variants, or what variant they actually own. I no longer pay any attention to online reviews of tires from members of the general public. You really need to read reviews of tires from sources that subject the tires to objective testing. When you look at the specs, you will find that in many cases, the KO2 has a higher speed rating than competitors, a thicker sidewall, deeper tread, and is competitive weight-wise. It is also really quiet for an AT tire. You can use this website to compare specs on most tires: https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2.htm

My own subjective experience on road: my wife and I have driven multiple sets of BFG KO2s on a Tacoma and 4-Runner. We run E-rated versions with 3PMSF on the Tacoma, and C-rated versions with 3PMSF on the 4-Runner. We have driven on wet, dry, and snowy highways, winding canyons, and around town. These tires are great under all these conditions on-road. I have heard some people comment online that the tires do not perform well on wet roads; that does not match my experience, or my wife's. After reading concerns on this forum about the KO2 on wet roads, we pushed our vehicles in the rain last fall (under safe circumstances), and found no shortage of traction. We do not run the KO2s through the winter, so the snow we drive in with these tires is during the "shoulder season" (end of fall, start of spring). We get very cold temperatures and long snowy winters, and we run Nokian Hakka LT3 tires in the winter.

My own subjective experience off-road: the KO2 performs very well off-road, especially on dirt & gravel roads, on rocky trails, and climbing steep rocks. We have run these tires on multiple desert trips, we drive corrugated dirt roads every day in & out of our property, and we drive steep rocky trails a couple of times per week to access trailheads. The KO2 is not a mud tire, and in deep mud, the treads will pack-out pretty quick, and you will lose traction. The KO2 is also not specifically designed as a sand tire; if I still lived on the coast, and all my off-road driving was on the beach, I would get a different tire.

There are other good All-Terrain (AT) tires in the market. I don't believe that - when comparing the top AT tires - there is any real difference. The top AT tires will vary in a very small degree, with some being a little better in one category, and a little worse in another - but they are all good. If a person wants to run an AT tire on the Grenadier, there is no reason to avoid the KO2. If one needs a mud tire, that is a different story, and one should buy a mud tire. If one is driving almost exclusively off-road (depending on conditions), it also makes sense to buy a MT tire (they have even thicker sidewalls, and the tread design is biased toward off-road driving). On the other end of the spectrum, if a person is mostly driving on-road, there are better tires than the KO2, and that person should be shopping in a different tire-category. You will get better gas mileage from a more street-biased tire.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Shopkeep, the next question I have for our dealer is....can we get spare rims? I know that Toyota charge like a wounded bull for a GX rim @ $350 and I couldn't give them away (ended up as scrap) or can we get aftermarket steel rims?
When I bought a F350 in 2009 I wanted to change the spare tire rim to matching factory alloy rim. Dealer parts wanted $1150 CAD each + 350 each for a core charge (!). And that was for a rim that Ford had been using for a few years - not the first year of some fancy 20" rim. Couple-few years later bought used ones for $100. Just had to wait.

I'm old enough to remember when aftermarket steelies were cheap and easy to find. Now buying oem steel is probably the way to go and buy a second aftermarket alloy, if wanting 2 sets (at least in my market)

btw Does anyone know if the Gren spare rime matches the alloy option, or is the spare rim always steel ?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7798633
They always remind me of these:
8223329196_cda4b40c96_b.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When I bought a F350 in 2009 I wanted to change the spare tire rim to matching factory alloy rim. Dealer parts wanted $1150 CAD each + 350 each for a core charge (!). And that was for a rim that Ford had been using for a few years - not the first year of some fancy 20" rim. Couple-few years later bought used ones for $100. Just had to wait.

I'm old enough to remember when aftermarket steelies were cheap and easy to find. Now buying oem steel is probably the way to go and buy a second aftermarket alloy, if wanting 2 sets (at least in my market)

btw Does anyone know if the Gren spare rime matches the alloy option, or is the spare rim always steel ?
I seem to recall when steel were standard, hubcaps wee options and alloys were aftermarket

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't buy any of the skepticism around the BFG KO2.

BFG KO2s are specc'd from the factory on a lot of top-end off-road vehicles here in the U.S. (Bronco, Bronco Raptor, Ford F-150 Raptor, Jeep Rubicon, etc.), and are probably the most popular choice when people "upgrade" tires on their truck or off-road SUV (when looking for a more off-road oriented All-Terrain tire). There are so many of these tires in circulation there are bound to be some complaints. In addition, there are different versions of the tire: it comes in two different rubber compounds - one that lasts longer but is not 3PMSF, and one that is softer but is 3PMSF. The tire also comes in many different load ratings. These variables make comparing the tire complicated, as many people are unaware of the variants, or what variant they actually own. I no longer pay any attention to online reviews of tires from members of the general public. You really need to read reviews of tires from sources that subject the tires to objective testing. When you look at the specs, you will find that in many cases, the KO2 has a higher speed rating than competitors, a thicker sidewall, deeper tread, and is competitive weight-wise. It is also really quiet for an AT tire. You can use this website to compare specs on most tires: https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2.htm

My own subjective experience on road: my wife and I have driven multiple sets of BFG KO2s on a Tacoma and 4-Runner. We run E-rated versions with 3PMSF on the Tacoma, and C-rated versions with 3PMSF on the 4-Runner. We have driven on wet, dry, and snowy highways, winding canyons, and around town. These tires are great under all these conditions on-road. I have heard some people comment online that the tires do not perform well on wet roads; that does not match my experience, or my wife's. After reading concerns on this forum about the KO2 on wet roads, we pushed our vehicles in the rain last fall (under safe circumstances), and found no shortage of traction. We do not run the KO2s through the winter, so the snow we drive in with these tires is during the "shoulder season" (end of fall, start of spring). We get very cold temperatures and long snowy winters, and we run Nokian Hakka LT3 tires in the winter.

My own subjective experience off-road: the KO2 performs very well off-road, especially on dirt & gravel roads, on rocky trails, and climbing steep rocks. We have run these tires on multiple desert trips, we drive corrugated dirt roads every day in & out of our property, and we drive steep rocky trails a couple of times per week to access trailheads. The KO2 is not a mud tire, and in deep mud, the treads will pack-out pretty quick, and you will lose traction. The KO2 is also not specifically designed as a sand tire; if I still lived on the coast, and all my off-road driving was on the beach, I would get a different tire.

There are other good All-Terrain (AT) tires in the market. I don't believe that - when comparing the top AT tires - there is any real difference. The top AT tires will vary in a very small degree, with some being a little better in one category, and a little worse in another - but they are all good. If a person wants to run an AT tire on the Grenadier, there is no reason to avoid the KO2. If one needs a mud tire, that is a different story, and one should buy a mud tire. If one is driving almost exclusively off-road (depending on conditions), it also makes sense to buy a MT tire (they have even thicker sidewalls, and the tread design is biased toward off-road driving). On the other end of the spectrum, if a person is mostly driving on-road, there are better tires than the KO2, and that person should be shopping in a different tire-category. You will get better gas mileage from a more street-biased tire.

Well explained ! Tires and rims are subject of endless discussions amongst 4x4 folk. Here´s my five cents worth of experience: For mixed use BFG AT´s are first choice for any vehicle, similar tires from other reputable manufacturers are not bad either. For off-road use there is no alternative to BFG MT or Michelin XZL.

Since the Michelins are limited in speed and prohibitively expensive, you are back with the BFG MT´s. Now why them and only them ? Simple, they are the most durable tires at that money and your tires are your best friend off road. You don't want to be changing a tyre in an awkward situation. The BFG´s and the Michelins are the only tires that cope well with very low pressures (down to 0,5 bar) over extended periods, most other tires give up the ghost under extreme conditions pretty quick.

For serious off-road use, there is no alloy rim, unless you spend an arm and a leg on each wheel. 16" wheels allow for more rubber and thus a larger footprint, when the right tire size is mounted...a biiiig difference with the right tire pressure off road !

Tread lighkty and enjoy !.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The BFG KO1 tyres were legendary for durability, I've currently got a set on the Hilux and they're old as the hills, still plenty of life.

The newer KO2s are a softer compound as mentioned, and perform much better in the wet as a result, but wear out quicker.

Theres no perfect tire, but BFGs are very good from my experience.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Having had a set of general grabber AT2 in the past which were lethal in the wet in my opinion, then I would be more than happy to have the KO2’s in the softer rubber that perform better in the wet.

They might wear out quicker but fingers crossed I won’t be looking at a Grenadier upside down in a ditch. Looking at the tyres and thinking….They we’re wearing really well !!

As someone on here said recently “off road your tyres are your best friend”, I agree and would say they are always your best friend.

Fit unfriendly tyres and they will kill you at some stage.

On that note….merry Christmas 😀

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Bonjour
Un tableau de correspondance entre les tailles de pneus en Europe (En mm) et aux US (en pouces).
Les largeurs recommandées pour les jantes en fonction des tailles de pneus.

1671979444712.png

1671979329463.png

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having had a set of general grabber AT2 in the past which were lethal in the wet in my opinion, then I would be more than happy to have the KO2’s in the softer rubber that perform better in the wet.

They might wear out quicker but fingers crossed I won’t be looking at a Grenadier upside down in a ditch. Looking at the tyres and thinking….They we’re wearing really well !!

As someone on here said recently “off road your tyres are your best friend”, I agree and would say they are always your best friend.

Interesting, I run on General grabber AT3s and have no issue or cause for concern in the wet.

Back
Top Bottom