The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel rim size

Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
Those Falken Wildpeak AT3W are great tyres, and very good in the wet. I’ve had them on the defender and no complaints. I’ve had BFG,s also on my old Toyota pickup, got over 50k miles out of them, very good on the wet clay roads of Malawi but seemed to prone to punctures as they got older. This was 12 years ago and so probably an older version of BFG,s.
The KO2 came out in 2015, so if you bought some KOs 12 years ago, they were definitely the original KO.

Interesting to hear that you had a good experience with them - just goes to show that people's experiences vary. I did not have a good experience with the original KO tire. The tread life was good, but the tire just didn't seem to do anything that well, and they were terrible in the sand. It was the only tire I owned that let me down in the sand (getting bogged down regularly) - and I drove on the beach almost every day back in my youth! In contrast, I have been thoroughly pleased with the KO2, and have bought four sets of them for three different vehicles over the last five years. For my type of driving, which includes (1) various on-road conditions, including rain and snow, and a lot of winding canyons, (2) daily use on corrugated dirt roads, and (3) regular use on steep rocky trails, these tires are fantastic (by "regular use" I mean three times per week during the five warm months of the year). I no longer live near the coast, so I haven't tried the KO2 on the beach.

P.S. I've also got an old Toyota pickup that I still use for work on our land. She just keeps on chugging. A better built truck than my 2017!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
I stopped buying BFG KO’s about 20 years ago because I could never get them to balance properly, the same with Coopers ST’s although they also chipped very badly. I’ve had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on for the past 3 years and they’re a great tyre and surprisingly quiet for what they are. I’ll probably go back to them when the BFG’s wear out.

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the standard wheels sit in the arch? I forgot to take a photo or take note when I was looking at the prototype. It looks around 25mm from the tyre to the outside edge of the arch.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:43 PM
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Je reviens sur le sujet des jantes du Grenadier. J'ai commandé un Trial Master Donny Gray avec des jantes alliage de 17 pouces montées avec des BF 265/70 R17. Je souhaite également disposer de jantes en tôle (6 pour disposer de deux roues de secours) pour monter des pneus MUD pour les raids en France et au Maroc.

Pour une largeur de pneu en 265 mm, il est conseillé de disposer de jantes de largeur de 9 à 10 pouces.
9,5 pouces semble être la bonne largeur de jante.

1674929944387.png
La jante adaptée était donc désignée par 17X9,5 6X130 ET55
Est-ce que quelqu'un connaît la largeur des jantes montées d'origine sur le Greandier ?

Merci de votre retour.

1674930203968.png

Local time
Reaction score
I stopped buying BFG KO’s about 20 years ago because I could never get them to balance properly, the same with Coopers ST’s although they also chipped very badly. I’ve had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on for the past 3 years and they’re a great tyre and surprisingly quiet for what they are. I’ll probably go back to them when the BFG’s wear out.

That's about when Michelin took over. Maybe to do with storage conditions ? No such problems here, 60-80´kms a set, balancing can take a bit of creative thinking, tossing and turning, but can be done. If not, try balancing compound inside the tires.

Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Je reviens sur le sujet des jantes du Grenadier. J'ai commandé un Trial Master Donny Gray avec des jantes alliage de 17 pouces montées avec des BF 265/70 R17. Je souhaite également disposer de jantes en tôle (6 pour disposer de deux roues de secours) pour monter des pneus MUD pour les raids en France et au Maroc.

Pour une largeur de pneu en 265 mm, il est conseillé de disposer de jantes de largeur de 9 à 10 pouces.
9,5 pouces semble être la bonne largeur de jante.

View attachment 7801986
La jante adaptée était donc désignée par 17X9,5 6X130 ET55
Est-ce que quelqu'un connaît la largeur des jantes montées d'origine sur le Greandier ?

Merci de votre retour.

View attachment 7801987

Thats a load of rubbish, that table, excuse my French. While applicable to cars, a 4x4 is an entirely different story. A 255/85/16 sits perfectly on a 6" wide rim, you could even run it on a 5,5" (which I have done for years).

The tire is being pulled apart with those wide rims, fine and maybe desirable for a sports car, on a 4x4 you'd want the opposite: for the tire to sit firmly on the rim to allow it to run at pressures as low as 0.5kgs...Check the recommendations from BFG or Michelin, 7" is max there for the dimensions in question.

Local time
Reaction score
I'd like to offer a resource where folks can look up recommended wheel widths for various tires. The site also has lots of other data on tires from many major manufacturers (load ratings, speed ratings, tire weight, etc.). I've provided a link to the BFG KO2 page, but you can bring up other tires and other manufacturers - just click around on the left.

Intheeyre

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
According to FB AUS, the Hub PCD is 130 & hub threads are 6 x M14x1.5. The offset is 55mm positive. Bore is 84mm.
thanks arkaig what vehicles are already using this configuration?

Local time
Reaction score
Hey Logsplitter,

I remember seeing a photo of a tire on a Grenadier, and it was D-rated (for load). So I think this would be the BFG KO2 being used, which is a different version of the tire than the ones you posted:

screenshot-tiresize.com-2023.01.30-07_52_32.png
BFG_Grenadier.png

Here is that photo, but I don't remember who posted it - I downloaded it from this forum though:

Grenadier_41.jpg

P.S. Can someone tell me how to paste in someone's user name so its highlighted in blue with the @ sign. Sorry, for the dumb tech question...

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Logsplitter,

I remember seeing a photo of a tire on a Grenadier, and it was D-rated (for load). So I think this would be the BFG KO2 being used, which is a different version of the tire than the ones you posted:

View attachment 7802146
View attachment 7802142

Here is that photo, but I don't remember who posted it - I downloaded it from this forum though:

View attachment 7802143

P.S. Can someone tell me how to paste in someone's user name so its highlighted in blue with the @ sign. Sorry, for the dumb tech question...
Good point but I don’t understand what those C BSW ,C RWL ,D RWL letters mean so maybe some one can explain. My internet searches were fruitless. I put the post on to illustrate what size rims are required for that size tyre. Thanks Mate 👍🏼

Local time
Reaction score
Here is a description of various tire specifications:
1. Speed
2. Temperature
3. Traction
4. Speed
5. Load Index
6. Load Range

Speed Rating

How fast are you really going to go in your vehicle? You should never exceed the speed rating of a tire - nor should you be anywhere near the speed rating for a tire.

The speed rating of the tire is determined in a laboratory environment usually at a moderate ambient temperature. This does not factor in load due to cornering, nor heat due to hot asphalt or long periods of driving, nor inflation pressure that is not at the recommended level. Nor does a high rating rule out a defective tire. When you drive near or over the speed rating of a tire you are risking your life because there are always factors that cannot be taken into account. Car & Driver Editor Don Schroeder's life ended tragically as a result of high speed tire failure (second story on page).

As it turns out though, the higher the tire speed rating, the less likely you will have catastrophic sidewall or tread failure. It makes sense that higher speed-rated tires hold up better than lower speed-rated tires. This is not to say that you can overload a tire safely, or that you can safely have a blowout at 200 miles-per-hour - this just means that if a failure does occur at normal speeds, higher speed-rated tires generally handle the failure better.

The speed rating indicates the maximum speed (miles per hour) the tire is rated under normal conditions. The ratings are as follows:

M — 81
N — 87
P — 93
Q — 100
R — 106
S — 112
T — 118
H — 130
V — 149
W — 168
Y — 186

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember, the speeds are test speeds, not recommended speeds.

B - Up to 31 mph

C - Up to 37 mph

D - Up to 40 mph

E - Up to 43 mph

F - Up to 50 mph

G - Up to 56 mph

J - Up to 62 mph

K - Up to 68 mph

L - Up to 75 mph

M - Up to 81 mph

N - Up to 87 mph

P - Up to 94 mph

Q - Up to 100 mph

R - Up to 106 mph

S - Up to 112 mph

T - Up to 118 mph

U - Up to 124 mph

H - Up to 130 mph

V - Up to 149 mph

W - Up to 168 mph

Y - Up to 186 mph

Z - 149 mph and over

Speed ratings vary greatly depending on the type of tire. For example, Q-ratings are typical among off-road tires. R-ratings are typical for average passenger tires. T-ratings are typical for performance tires.

Provide for a 15-20% buffer and you should be OK. In other words, If you have a Q-rated tire, your sustained speed should not exceed 80-85 mph (unloaded) and less if you are carrying a significant load. (My Vanagon barely does 70, so a Q-rated tire is alright for my application.)

If you have a Porsche, and your maximum sustained speed is 135 mph, then you should not consider anything less than a W-rated tire. (Of course, this is merely an example and not advice to travel that fast.)

Again, the speed rating is determined at on an unloaded (unstressed) tire at a moderate ambient temperature. With that in mind, the next spec to take a look at is temperature.

Temperature Rating

Temperature and traction are probably the least marketed specifications for tires. However, in hotter climates, you should be especially concerned with temperature ratings.

The temperature rating indicates how well the tire handles heat (including how well the tire dissipates heat). There are three ratings:

A — best
B — intermediate
C — acceptable

Traveling long distances in hot weather, at a high-rate of speed, is very difficult on tires. Consider how many times you have seen a family on vacation in summer - with dad hauling down the highway with the wagon loaded down with the gear. This is a common situation that many times results in catastrophic tire failure.

Consider, also, how much more often you see semi-trailer tire tread on the highway during the summer. Luckily those big rigs have more than four tires.

Traction Rating

In wetter climates, the traction specifications may be more important than temperature.

The traction rating indicates how well a tire grips the road surface. This is an overall (balanced) rating for both dry and wet conditions. Tires are rated:

AA – best
A – better
B – good
C – acceptable
What is interesting is that many times, a tire's traction rating will be sold as how well the tire handles in wet weather. This isn't always the case - as the traction rating is a combined score. You could have an A-rated tire that performs excellent in dry weather, and acceptable in wet.

For most car owners, speed, temperature and traction are the most important specifications to consider.

Now we get to the important specifications for heavy (or top-heavy) vehicles - load index and load range.

Load Ratings

There are two load ratings: (1) Load Index, and (2) Load Range

The load index indicates the maximum weight that a tire can accommodate vertically at a given PSI (pounds per square inch). Typically, the load index of the tires for passenger cars and light trucks range from 80 to 100.

Load Index Pounds Kilograms
71 761 345 91 1356 615
72 783 355 92 1389 630
73 805 365 93 1433 650
74 827 375 94 1477 670
75 853 387 95 1521 690
76 882 400 96 1565 710
77 908 412 97 1609 730
78 937 425 98 1653 750
79 963 437 99 1709 775
80 992 450 100 1764 800
81 1019 462 101 1819 825
82 1047 475 102 1874 850
83 1074 487 103 1929 875
84 1102 500 104 1984 900
85 1135 515 105 2039 925
86 1168 530 106 2094 950
87 1201 545 107 2149 975
88 1235 560 108 2205 1000
89 1279 580 109 2271 1030
90 1323 600 110 2337 1060

Sources: Tire Rack Tire Tech - Speed and Load Rating, and Yokohama - Reading Your Tire

Keep in mind that load ratings are determined using an applied vertical force against a tire under laboratory conditions (usually 65 ambient degrees). The heat rating for the tire can affect the maximum load the tire can handle at a given temperature.

You will see often the load index as a combination of Load and Speed, such as 97T. This indicates that the tire is rated for 1609 lbs. at a maximum of 118 mph. However consider that at that rate of speed, if you were to need to perform an emergency maneuver, you could easily exceed the load index of the tire.

Remember, the load index is how much weight you can put on top of your tires.

Load Range

Load Range is another way of indicating the ability of a tire to handle stress and weight. This time, we are indicating how much load can be placed on the tire horizontally. Often, these tires are associated with towing because the back end of the car tends to wallow while towing a trailer. In other words, you are exerting stress on the tire from side-to-side.

While there is no industry-wide definition of ply rating, truck tires are frequently marked with ply rating and equivalent Load Range. These markings are used to identify the load and inflation limits of that particular tire, when used in a specific type of service:

Load Range Ply Rating
A 2
B 4
C 6
D 8
E 10
F 12
G 14
H 16
J 18
K 20
L 22
M 24
N 26

Source: Bridgestone/Firestone North America, Sizes and Classifications

From me (stickshifter):
The Load Range for a mid-size SUV or light truck is usually a C-rated tire. But many off-roaders will move up to a D or even an E - not necessarily to get greater load-carrying capacity, but to get the thicker sidewalls that come on the D and E tires. A thicker sidewall will be more resistant to punctures from rocks, sticks, etc. There are disadvantages to the D and E tires, however. These include greater weight (so slower acceleration, longer braking distance, and worse fuel economy), and a rougher ride.

The Load Range for a heavy duty truck (Ford F-250, Ram 2500, etc.) is E or F (depending on the model, and its capacities). These tires can carry heavy payload, or tow heavy trailers due to their heavier construction.

Final note on load range: back in the day, a 10-ply tire had 10 plys, an 8-ply tire had 8 plys, etc. Since then, tire construction has changed, and that is no longer the case. So, while an E-rated tire can carry a heavier load than a D-rated tire, it does not necessarily have more plys, it is just a stronger construction. They keep the ply ratings alongside the letter-ratings as an artifact of a previous system of rating tire-strength. In other words, an E-rated tire is equivalent to what used to be a 10-ply tire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom