The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel rim size

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Looking into this right now... but have to ask, why not for the Sprinter Van ?

Sprinter spec I've found is 6.5x16 with ET62, 6x130 PCD, 84.1 bore as noted.

There's tons of Sprinter #Vanlife over here. Rhino tapping into after market wheels for wider and slightly taller tires requiring reduced offset ?
You could be right, but why not make it the Sprinter-centric 62mm offset in that case?

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
You could be right, but why not make it the Sprinter-centric 62mm offset in that case?
Guessing ... to allow fitment of wider than oem tires. A 275 on a Sprinter for eg, prob going to rub with a 62 mm offset rim.

Why a 275 you ask ? IDK, I don't follow Sprinters but from what I've seen, aftermarket alloy rims are often wider and with less offset than oem. That's just what's offered.

Presumably for wider than stock tires.

Or for the"bro dozer" look. Seriously.

I'm thinking there will be regional market factors at play on commonly available tire and rim sizes. Certainly seems in Can/USA, tires tend to be wider and lower profile than say, 30 years ago.

If you want stock spec, you buy oem, oem take offs (used) or plain steel replacement.

FWIW, I've seen referenced online a 54 ET rim oem for (some) models of Sprinter. Maybe a USDM model ?

Good find on the Sprinter replacement 👍

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Bonjour
Ma question était mal formulée.
Pour des pneus 265X70 R17, faut-il des jantes en 7 pouces, 7,5 pouces ou 8 pouces de large ?

En 7 pouces de large 6X130 ET57 84.1
1669966857677.png
En 7,5 pouces de large 6X130 ET52 84.1
1669967017812.png

1669967167987.png

La dimension maxi du pneu pour des jantes en 7 pouces de large est indiquée à 225 mm.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Quelle est la largeur des jantes 17 pouces montées d'origine sur le Grenadier ? (avec le déport ET55 indiqué)

1669968673010.png

Si la largeur de jante augmente, il faut donc décaler la roue vers l'extérieur pour éviter de toucher la suspension et de ce fait, réduire le déport (avec le risque de toucher la carrosserie de l'autre côté).

Le site

donne le calcul d'équivalence.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Quelle est la largeur des jantes 17 pouces montées d'origine sur le Grenadier ? (avec le déport ET55 indiqué)

View attachment 7797076

Si la largeur de jante augmente, il faut donc décaler la roue vers l'extérieur pour éviter de toucher la suspension et de ce fait, réduire le déport (avec le risque de toucher la carrosserie de l'autre côté).

Le site

donne le calcul d'équivalence.
Yes, that’s correct - you come close to answering your own question. The maximum rim and/or tyre width should be considered in combination with offset and will ultimately be dictated by the point at which it fouls on suspension, the vehicle body/wheel arch, and what is permitted in your jurisdiction in terms of protrusion of the wheel beyond the arch. To complete the line of thinking, the minimum rim radius, as your graphic demonstrates, is determined by what’s necessary to clear the brake calipers etc.

Tyre choice is another consideration - mud (as opposed to All Terrain) tyres tend to balloon and often have lugs that might cause clearance issues even if the rim fits.

Further options avail if spacers are used, although most would argue these should be avoided if the vehicle will see offroad use.

In short, several combinations are possible and one usually relies on trial and error by owners as to what’s possible/in good taste.

In terms of tyre diameter we know that 35” tyres are possible with minor modification (see Namibia videos). AFAIK the precise nature of said modification is unknown on the forum.

Acknowledge that doesn’t answer your question, but with deliveries pending it shouldn’t be long until we know.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Gren will come with 17 alloys and the KO2s. I intend to get a set of steels for outback touring and put the KO2s on them. I'll then buy a set of ATs probably more road/dirt road than mud/snow/sand orientated for the alloys.

So I visited my local Bob Jane's (a large wheel and tyre retailer for those outside AUS) to see what the options might be.

I gave them the 17x7.5, 130x6, 84.1, +55 specs found in various postings.

He couldn't find anything matching although he said the new Hilux fitted the 130x6 and 84.1 bore. He made two calls, one to Dynamic and one to Kings who are the two main steel wheel suppliers in Aus. Neither could fit the +55 offset, the closest they have is +30. Anyway he thought we could make the +30 work and that a +55 was an unlikely aftermarket option. He also looked into the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 100. Couldn't find those in the Bridgestone database. He had a search on the web and found images of the A/T 100. He said that the images were showing a tyre designed for snow/ice (lots of little latereral grooves) so these were unlikely to be available from Bridgestone in Aus, the closest Bridgestone here is a Dueler 697. Anyway we left it there until I get the car.

Just now I did some searching and came across wheel supplier websites offering wheels (after selecting ineos grenadier as the vehicle) that are all 6x139.7.

This site has wheels from CSA, King and Speedy that are +45.

This site has some 18s from Oz Racing and 17s from MSW. These have +47 and +50 offset.

Has the 6x130 pattern been confirmed by Ineos or by someone eyeballing the inside of some rims?
Has anyone in Europe/US been able to find the car listed on a wheel suppliers website?

Local time
Reaction score
Be nice if you could order a 2nd set to be shipped with the vehicle, like the bull bar, floor mats etc.

It's not what auto mfrs typically do but again, this is a opportunity for IA to do things differently...

Yes I know they'll be concerned about re sellers but let's focus on the customers needs.

At the very least let's hope dealers/agents will be able to order in a set early and easily. And at a reasonable price. There will be demand.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Be nice if you could order a 2nd set to be shipped with the vehicle, like the bull bar, floor mats etc.

It's not what auto mfrs typically do but again, this is a opportunity for IA to do things differently...

Yes I know they'll be concerned about re sellers but let's focus on the customers needs.

At the very least let's hope dealers/agents will be able to order in a set early and easily. And at a reasonable price. There will be demand.
Agreed and hopefully as Ineos are selling the spare wheel mounting bracket for a second spare wheel on the roof rack , then they’ll actually be selling the extra spare wheels as well. 👍🏼

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous.
Les films en Namibie montrent deux Grenadiers avec des tailles de pneus différentes.
Personnellement, je trouve que des pneus larges conviennent mieux au Grenadier en particulier avec des jantes Beadlocks
Est-ce que quelqu'un connaît la dimension de ces pneus et la taille des jantes ?

1671819299538.png

+Pneus03.jpg

+Pneus04.jpg

+Pneus05.jpg

+Pneus08.jpg

+Pneus09.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
35 x 12.5 R17

As DCPU said, there has been a lot of discussion of this tire size on the forum - though it is all pretty speculative at this point (thanks to a lack of info from Ineos).

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I started off with the steel wheels and was happy, then I started seeing the 17” alloys with BFG’s and thought. No for the extra few quid I am having them.

My thoughts are it will be cheaper and easier to get some aftermarket steel wheels than it would some alloys.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I started off with the steel wheels and was happy, then I started seeing the 17” alloys with BFG’s and thought. No for the extra few quid I am having them.

My thoughts are it will be cheaper and easier to get some aftermarket steel wheels than it would some alloys.
Have a look at @pt888 comments above, might not be that simple to get aftermarket steel wheels in the short term.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier in this and other threads searching for MB Sprinter 2500 van brings up numerous options, most having a smaller positive offset. For example Black Rhino have heaps of suitable alloys ranging from +38 to +52:
https://fitment.blackrhinowheels.com/fit-details?year=2021&make=Mercedes Benz&model=Sprinter 2500 4WD (Lifted)

Method also have some options in 17x7.5 6x130 +50 offset. As I still have not got my head completely around wheel offsets, if you were to fit this Method size (using stock tyres) it means the wheel is moving only 5mm further towards the outside of the car? Surely the change in offset of only 5mm should not cause any rubbing or clearance issues?

I plan to fit something like a Falken Wildpeak AT3W tyre which are available in a wide range of sizes.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier in this and other threads searching for MB Sprinter 2500 van brings up numerous options, most having a smaller positive offset. For example Black Rhino have heaps of suitable alloys ranging from +38 to +52:
https://fitment.blackrhinowheels.com/fit-details?year=2021&make=Mercedes Benz&model=Sprinter 2500 4WD (Lifted)

Method also have some options in 17x7.5 6x130 +50 offset. As I still have not got my head completely around wheel offsets, if you were to fit this Method size (using stock tyres) it means the wheel is moving only 5mm further towards the outside of the car? Surely the change in offset of only 5mm should not cause any rubbing or clearance issues?

I plan to fit something like a Falken Wildpeak AT3W tyre which are available in a wide range of sizes.
I too am looking at fitting different tyres but at $880 for the upgrade from the standard tyre package I'll see how they go, I've not heard too may good things about BF Goodrich tyes of late, but the local Parks and Wildlife guys use them so they either are good or that there is a special deal with them?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I too am looking at fitting different tyres but at $880 for the upgrade from the standard tyre package I'll see how they go, I've not heard too may good things about BF Goodrich tyes of late, but the local Parks and Wildlife guys use them so they either are good or that there is a special deal with them?
The people who have to endure rainy roundabouts complain about them. Sucks to live in the tropics! And Sydney.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have ordered a Trialmaster but the K02s are more aggressive than ideal for a daily drive. Was thinking of ordering a second set of steelies or finding an alloy set locally and using the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or maybe some more road biased Coopers, use the K02s when venturing out of town.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The people who have to endure rainy roundabouts complain about them. Sucks to live in the tropics! And Sydney.
I drove with them on a pretty curvy, smooth, wet test track in Perth and no trouble at all.
I also did a hard brake test from 80-90 kmh and they stopped quickly and the vehicle stayed straight

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
Have ordered a Trialmaster but the K02s are more aggressive than ideal for a daily drive. Was thinking of ordering a second set of steelies or finding an alloy set locally and using the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or maybe some more road biased Coopers, use the K02s when venturing out of town.
Shopkeep, the next question I have for our dealer is....can we get spare rims? I know that Toyota charge like a wounded bull for a GX rim @ $350 and I couldn't give them away (ended up as scrap) or can we get aftermarket steel rims?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Shopkeep, the next question I have for our dealer is....can we get spare rims? I know that Toyota charge like a wounded bull for a GX rim @ $350 and I couldn't give them away (ended up as scrap) or can we get aftermarket steel rims?
My father used to have a plaque on his office wall saying "When you have got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow", I think this may be the philosophy behind Ineos' choice of wheel stud pattern.

Back
Top Bottom