The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas What oil filter does the B58 use?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
The owners manual sucks at having anything specific. Talks about when to change the oil but doesn’t tell you how. I know where the drain plug is and I can see the filter housing under the hood but what’s the filter that goes in the housing?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
The owners manual sucks at having anything specific. Talks about when to change the oil but doesn’t tell you how. I know where the drain plug is and I can see the filter housing under the hood but what’s the filter that goes in the housing?
Here you are mate IMG_1929.jpeg3ae49f1a-95d5-4c76-969b-74d3233b0fcd.jpegIMG_9703.jpeg

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea of oil drain plug torque specs?

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
There are some interesting videos regarding the oil filter used by BMW on the B57/58 engines and the possible problems associated with it.
View: https://youtu.be/ktfBAlTT9hE?si=pxs8ooLFacOan_3P
I changed the oil and filter on my vehicle at 6500 km. The filter in the vehicle was an original BMW filter. I was not able to detect any of the problems with the quality of the filter described in the video.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are some interesting videos regarding the oil filter used by BMW on the B57/58 engines and the possible problems associated with it.
View: https://youtu.be/ktfBAlTT9hE?si=pxs8ooLFacOan_3P
I changed the oil and filter on my vehicle at 6500 km. The filter in the vehicle was an original BMW filter. I was not able to detect any of the problems with the quality of the filter described in the video.
What did you use to get the filter off? What size socket was that?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
What did you use to get the filter off? What size socket was that
I have the correct socket in my tool kit but cannot remember the size Somewhere on this forum someone has posted about the socket size but I can’t find it. unfortunately I’m not with my vehicle at the moment as back in the U.K. for christmas. My Grenadier is in Botswana until my return in the new year

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
I have the correct socket in my tool kit but cannot remember the size Somewhere on this forum someone has posted about the socket size but I can’t find it. unfortunately I’m not with my vehicle at the moment as back in the U.K. for christmas. My Grenadier is in Botswana until my return in the new year
it's a 32mm socket

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ours has a plastic drain plug (stupid, I know), and it is 8nm. I think Bmw used a metal drain plug for the x-drive trims, that is where the 25nm comes from. I am trying to find the exact part number before I do my oil change.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 29

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ours has a plastic drain plug (stupid, I know), and it is 8nm. I think Bmw used a metal drain plug for the x-drive trims, that is where the 25nm comes from. I am trying to find the exact part number before I do my oil change.
Ignore my previous post! I 25nm torque is correct, I think I was looking at the wrong drain plug.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Just FYI.

This thread has many third party filters suitable for the BMW B57 and B58 motor. Plus a short review of some of the third party oil filter brands available in Australia.

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
Ignore my previous post! I 25nm torque is correct, I think I was looking at the wrong drain plug.
That looks like the transmission filter pan drain plug ;) and yes it’s the standard ZF unit with a plastic pan…….

Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
I have used AGA Oil drain plugs on my vehicles. Awesome quality and a treat if you do oil changes yourself

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That looks like the transmission filter pan drain plug ;) and yes it’s the standard ZF unit with a plastic pan…….
Ripe for aftermarket replacement or a nice thick sheet of aluminum to protect it.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ripe for aftermarket replacement or a nice thick sheet of aluminum to protect it.
Yeah my mechanic commented on while "G" was well built, significant issue with plastic transmission area and totally exposed to any stick that wanted to puncture it. We need a metal protection plate!:)

Back
Top Bottom