The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle mounted twin air compressor

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, @Nocrays , @Tom109, @bakepl, @ddv, @MrMike. Your advice has brought me closer to a purchase decision, as has @anand s feedback. I'm not someone who pretends to be able to tackle the toughest terrain just on the basis of the equipment on his souped-up vehicle, but doesn't do so. I already use my Grenadier on loose, muddy ground. Not in sand, but I have no reason to. On the other hand, I will be using the Sprinter more often on sandy and damp surfaces. That's why I opted for a 4x4.
I think I'd be annoyed in retrospect that I'd saved money in the wrong place.

Thank you once again for your constructive advice and objective assessment coupled with your decisions. That's what I always appreciate about this international forum.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
ARB Twin Compressor installed behind trim!!
Had to relocate ac inverter and build wiring harness extentions as well as custom mounts for everything.
I'm late to party on this post, but this is mint.

I tried to do the same thing months ago but it didnt fit and looking at this post I was trying to work it out when I noticed the extra trim height.

So new models have additional trim to fit an inverter behind. I wonder if this can be pur hased from Ineos. Has anybody tried?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_215528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_215528_Chrome.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 84

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
I'm late to party on this post, but this is mint.

I tried to do the same thing months ago but it didnt fit and looking at this post I was trying to work it out when I noticed the extra trim height.

So new models have additional trim to fit an inverter behind. I wonder if this can be pur hased from Ineos. Has anybody tried?
This is for certain models that have the "Power Take off" as an option. The cost to buy the trim I'm assuming would be prohibitive considering a wing mirror is $1K
You could possibly fit one under the seat depending on the size you need, what do you want to run?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
WTF!

I'm installing the ARB twin, just looking for the best way to get it in a desired location, but I dont want it under the seat
Ok.....spare wheel?
The twin won't fit under that trim, why not just use the ARB portable box instead of having it fixed? I've been down that path and for the hassle having a portable compressor is far more convenient.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok.....spare wheel?
The twin won't fit under that trim, why not just use the ARB portable box instead of having it fixed? I've been down that path and for the hassle having a portable compressor is far more convenient.
Portables are a PIA.

Try airing up and down 4 or 5 times in a couple of hours and see how fun portables are. Or lugging them in and out of the car constantly, shuffling them around with gear and family.

30 years of 4wding, I'd never go back to permanently dealing with a portable again.

Install it. Its always there, out of the way and ready to go.

I'll chase a price on the trim, its the prefered location and where I have had it installed in other cars Ive had, Worse case I install it at the back of the drawers, or behind my fridge

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Portables are a PIA.

Try airing up and down 4 or 5 times in a couple of hours and see how fun portables are. Or lugging them in and out of the car constantly, shuffling them around with gear and family.

30 years of 4wding, I'd never go back to permanently dealing with a portable again.

Install it. Its always there, out of the way and ready to go.

I'll chase a price on the trim, its the prefered location and where I have had it installed in other cars Ive had, Worse case I install it at the back of the drawers, or behind my fridge
I’d like to do the same. Getting a replacement trim looks like the go.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
ARB Twin Compressor installed behind trim!!
Had to relocate ac inverter and build wiring harness extentions as well as custom mounts for everything.
It appears that you can only locate the twin compressor in this location if you have the inverter, and more importantly, the larger, taller plastic shroud.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The twin ARB generates quite a bit of heat. I would never run it in a small enclosed space - but that's just me, and I'm not an engineer. On the other hand, I own one, and I am very familiar with how hot it gets.
Yes keeping it cool as possible is your friend... if you have a well used twin take a look at the casing on the cables nearest the unit... usually effected to some degree by the heat generated.. sometimes with one of the fuses blown..

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This is for certain models that have the "Power Take off" as an option. The cost to buy the trim I'm assuming would be prohibitive considering a wing mirror is $1K
You could possibly fit one under the seat depending on the size you need, what do you want to run?
I bought a replacement side view mirror for the retail price of about $350. Where did you get the $1K from?

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Bolted with 4 M10 bolts. That needs to be loosen to change the tyre. Relatively easy.

Safety... Well it is a lockable storage box so has a key and lock. But anyone who wants in can get in quite easily considering it’s a bunch of plastic. Hopefully it’s not a place where anyone would go looking.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7846692

I put my twin ARB here. Connected to the NATO socket (only when in use).
Hi marcusnillson, Can you share with us your bracket design and any install info including the exact ARB Model you purchased. I like this location as trying to get a dual cylinder ARB anywhere else in the interior is a bit more work. DaBull

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The trim part number is GRA-7C27-022391 description LH INR Loadspace trim.

Cost in Aus is $650 plus taxes

Approximately 4-6 week delivery time for Aus

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
After deciding in favour of the portable ARB twin compressor, guided by my feelings, I have now been to an official ARB dealer.
After I told him that I wanted to buy this compressor, he first stopped me and asked about my expected usage. Occasional use for inflating tyres after deflating on sandy surfaces, depending on whether I'm riding the Grenadier or Sprinter.
The answer surprised me: "Portable compressor fits", but save yourself the money for the double. Take the single one, it'll do. And here I still have the same compressor, but in the previous box with a 6 metre hose. That saves you 110 EUR"
I think that's honest, good advice. He wants me to come back. And I do. I also picked up an ARB snatch strap and soft shackle ropes, as well as a tyre inflator.
He just asked me not to make his shop and name public, otherwise ARB might make an unpleasant comment. He could have been out to make a profit.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After deciding in favour of the portable ARB twin compressor, guided by my feelings, I have now been to an official ARB dealer.
After I told him that I wanted to buy this compressor, he first stopped me and asked about my expected usage. Occasional use for inflating tyres after deflating on sandy surfaces, depending on whether I'm riding the Grenadier or Sprinter.
The answer surprised me: "Portable compressor fits", but save yourself the money for the double. Take the single one, it'll do. And here I still have the same compressor, but in the previous box with a 6 metre hose. That saves you 110 EUR"
I think that's honest, good advice. He wants me to come back. And I do. I also picked up an ARB snatch strap and soft shackle ropes, as well as a tyre inflator.
He just asked me not to make his shop and name public, otherwise ARB might make an unpleasant comment. He could have been out to make a profit.
He has now, a regular customer. Even better he dispenses good advice, a win-win situation IMO. Sounds like he knows his stuff 👍🏼

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom