The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle mounted twin air compressor

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
There's only one way to find out!
Anyway , once you start removing panels it's popped the cherry of boring holes in things :D Don't worry about the "next owner".
I used only factory holes except for the air chuck and switch hole in the trim. I made the wiring harness extension so I did not have to cut the harness. IF there is ever a second owner they will appreciate the installation.

Last edited:
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
The twin compressor has a cooling fan to circulate air. Notice the vents on the trim panel. They are directly above the compressor air intakes. So I believe the answer is yes.

The twin ARB generates quite a bit of heat. I would never run it in a small enclosed space - but that's just me, and I'm not an engineer. On the other hand, I own one, and I am very familiar with how hot it gets.

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
ARB Twin Compressor installed behind trim!!
Had to relocate ac inverter and build wiring harness extentions as well as custom mounts for everything.
Bravo. Thanks for showing us the way. I will be mounting the Twin in the same location. And if necessary will not hesitate to add a perforated metal plate to the trim panel for additional ventilation.

f1rst1

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Bravo. Thanks for showing us the way. I will be mounting the Twin in the same location. And if necessary will not hesitate to add a perforated metal plate to the trim panel for additional ventilation.
Make sure to post a pic of what you come up with...I didn't get the inverter so my panels don't have any ventilation at all....I will definitely need to add something somewhere....

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw that also. What do you guys think about the placement of the compressor? I’m not sure. Looks a bit forced.
I think it’s ok if you plan to have drawers etc with filler panels. Would cover it. So not a bad use of space really.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Yeah - not ideal.

I know most people will be keeping the second row of seats, but some of us are planning on doing the rear seat delete from Goose Gear. I'm thinking there will be somewhere in this set-up to mount a compressor. It looks like there is a big overhang - i.e. the flat floor extends over the box that contains the batteries and other electronics. It looks like it might be possible to mount a twin ARB somewhere around where I put the red circle.

If @GooseGear has any thoughts - be great to hear them.

P.S. I'm not interested in the single motor compressor mounted inside the electronics box, for two reasons: the single is a little slow for four tires (particularly if the tires are 'oversized'), and I think it might generate too much heat in there.

View attachment 7841524
Photo from Goose Gear: https://www.goose-gear.com/products/ineos-grenadier-2024-present-second-row-seat-delete-plate-system
The twin has been mounted under the seat, and yes they generate heat, but....you would operate them with the seat flipped forward so venting should be no issue. There isn't much room where the circle is unfortunately, you could mount it there but it would be very tight.
Personally I just carry mine in a carry case, less weight when I don't need it, and I can put it down wherever I need it and even share it with those less fortunate :LOL:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
The twin has been mounted under the seat, and yes they generate heat, but....you would operate them with the seat flipped forward so venting should be no issue. There isn't much room where the circle is unfortunately, you could mount it there but it would be very tight.
Personally I just carry mine in a carry case, less weight when I don't need it, and I can put it down wherever I need it and even share it with those less fortunate :LOL:
Same here, portable. When touring the back seat is piled up , a right PITA to open to get to a compressor.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good question. Drawer system, cargo box, or bagged and attached to one of Black Sheep's Molle plate offerings?
I personally wouldn't put a bottle jack on a Molle panel 🤔 but it would interesting to see what they've done with it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have now re-read your comments on the ARB compressors and would like to hear your opinion on one or other of them.
My use case: I want to use it exclusively for inflating tyres when off-roading, i.e. not for blowing out with a compressed air gun, where I need an air tank.
And I want it to be transportable in a case, as I want to use it both in the Grenadier and in my future Sprinter. As with the Grenadier, I'm going to fit the BF Goodrich K02 tyres on the Sprinter, but I don't yet know what tyre pressure to use. The vehicle has 4.1 tonnes.
I am faced with the choice: ARB portable DOUBLE COMPRESSOR 12-VOLT "CKMTP12" or ARB portable 12-VOLT compressor in case "CKMP12".
In contrast to the single compressor, the double compressor does not require a 30-minute cooling time after 30 minutes. But surely I should be able to inflate all 4 tyres back to normal pressure in this time?
I would also have preferred an analogue pressure gauge to a digital one. However, Bernd from Taubenreuther says that the manual display ends at 4 bar. He would prefer the digital one.
Now I'm keen to hear from any of you who actually use these compressors. It should fulfil my purpose and not cover all eventualities. After all, the one compressor is almost twice as expensive.
Thank you very much for your advice!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie I've had both the CKMTA12 (twin) and CKMA12 (single) ARBs in previous (and current) vehicles, not the portable style but vehicle mounted. Assuming you are sticking to 33" or smaller tyres, the single will be acceptable, of course, the twin will be much faster.

Assuming you're doing a 2500 (I think the RoW calls them 3.5 tonne) and a "normal" KO2 size, expect your pressures to be in the neighborhood of 45-55psi front and 55-70psi rear (this will be the one that has the most variation due to added weight).

Inflating 4 265/70/17 tyres from 15psi to 40psi with a single will probably take less than 8 minutes, with a twin, approximately half of that (this is mental math from past times doing it, I could be off with my memory, but probably not by much)

With the portable model, I think the case is the same between the two compressors, so size doesn't really matter. If you are traveling alone the single will be fine for you; where the twin really shines is if you are airing up multiple vehicles, or with a tyre that is 34-35" or larger, simply because of the extra volume of air it moves. The speed of the twin is impressive to say the least

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie I've had both the CKMTA12 (twin) and CKMA12 (single) ARBs in previous (and current) vehicles, not the portable style but vehicle mounted. Assuming you are sticking to 33" or smaller tyres, the single will be acceptable, of course, the twin will be much faster.

Assuming you're doing a 2500 (I think the RoW calls them 3.5 tonne) and a "normal" KO2 size, expect your pressures to be in the neighborhood of 45-55psi front and 55-70psi rear (this will be the one that has the most variation due to added weight).

Inflating 4 265/70/17 tyres from 15psi to 40psi with a single will probably take less than 8 minutes, with a twin, approximately half of that (this is mental math from past times doing it, I could be off with my memory, but probably not by much)

With the portable model, I think the case is the same between the two compressors, so size doesn't really matter. If you are traveling alone the single will be fine for you; where the twin really shines is if you are airing up multiple vehicles, or with a tyre that is 34-35" or larger, simply because of the extra volume of air it moves. The speed of the twin is impressive to say the least
Hi @anand , thank you very much for your quick and clear statement! (y) That will definitely help me with my decision. But it also makes me think again about whether I don't want to inflate in a shorter time after all and whether I might be travelling with several vehicles and then possibly be able to help. :unsure:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have now re-read your comments on the ARB compressors and would like to hear your opinion on one or other of them.
My use case: I want to use it exclusively for inflating tyres when off-roading, i.e. not for blowing out with a compressed air gun, where I need an air tank.
And I want it to be transportable in a case, as I want to use it both in the Grenadier and in my future Sprinter. As with the Grenadier, I'm going to fit the BF Goodrich K02 tyres on the Sprinter, but I don't yet know what tyre pressure to use. The vehicle has 4.1 tonnes.
I am faced with the choice: ARB portable DOUBLE COMPRESSOR 12-VOLT "CKMTP12" or ARB portable 12-VOLT compressor in case "CKMP12".
In contrast to the single compressor, the double compressor does not require a 30-minute cooling time after 30 minutes. But surely I should be able to inflate all 4 tyres back to normal pressure in this time?
I would also have preferred an analogue pressure gauge to a digital one. However, Bernd from Taubenreuther says that the manual display ends at 4 bar. He would prefer the digital one.
Now I'm keen to hear from any of you who actually use these compressors. It should fulfil my purpose and not cover all eventualities. After all, the one compressor is almost twice as expensive.
I had the single and have used the twin. If time is short and your tyres are large then a twin is what you want.
I've opted out of both now and have a single 150cfm portable XTM compressor, cheap at $150AU and has been abused for 7 years now. It's a lot more rugged and I changed over my car line to a proper commercially available line. And added a pressure switch which turns the compressor off when not inflating.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use a ARB portable twin compressor and find that for me it offered the best and most flexible set up. One thought re having a twin compressor. apart from being faster (may or may not be important) my understanding is that they offer some level of redundancy. If one part of the pair stops working, the other half most likely will still be OK.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I use a ARB portable twin compressor and find that for me it offered the best and most flexible set up. One thought re having a twin compressor. apart from being faster (may or may not be important) my understanding is that they offer some level of redundancy. If one part of the pair stops working, the other half most likely will still be OK.
Yes I can vouch for that.. one side will still work. Note they can get hot = use suitable cabling and quality/maintained connectors.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie - I have the ARB suitcase CKMTP12. I love it. I typically take one of two vehicles, but the Gren makes three. So moving the complete setup from vehicle to vehicle is important for me. I added a separate pressure gauge to the kit, and I check tire pressure individually when done inflating. The only thing I may consider adding is the Indeflate 2-tire system to inflate one axle at a time.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Rovie it comes come to how you want to use it.
Cheap and cheerful will do the job esp if only inflating one or two tyres or you don’t run them too long when they get too hot. Some models better than others.

Arb single is a good robust compressor. I’ve had mine for 20 years. But with a limited inflation speed.

Arb double is also a good quality unit and much faster inflation. Esp having an air tank.

Space and weight is a factor.

The last thing in the equation is cost and only you can answer that.

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
ARB Twin Compressor installed behind trim!!
Had to relocate ac inverter and build wiring harness extentions as well as custom mounts for everything.
Very nice installation. Where did you relocate the inverter to? Any additional photos of the inverter location, brackets and installation process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom