The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle mounted twin air compressor

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
He has now, a regular customer. Even better he dispensers good advice, a win-win situation IMO. Sounds like he knows his stuff 👍🏼

What I’ve been told, by different people is that the single compressor would get too hot and would need a 20 min cooling period after 2 tyres. Also if you want to use it to power air tools you would need the extra pressure canister. No idea if this is true however. Would be fun to test this IRL !

Cheers.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:51 AM
Reaction score
He has now, a regular customer. Even better he dispensers good advice, a win-win situation IMO. Sounds like he knows his stuff 👍🏼
Yes, he knows his stuff. He drives off-road himself and uses exactly this compressor. Yes, I am happy to hear from anyone who can provide competent information.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What I’ve been told, by different people is that the single compressor would get too hot and would need a 20 min cooling period after 2 tyres. Also if you want to use it to power air tools you would need the extra pressure canister. No idea if this is true however. Would be fun to test this IRL !

Cheers.
If the compressor has to inflate 4 tyres from 0 bar to the regular air pressure, then it does indeed have to pause after 2 tyres. However, when it comes to having the lowered air pressure at normal pressure, the compressor manages this for all 4 tyres without any problems. Incidentally, BF Goodrich recommends lowering the tyre pressure by 0.34 bar, but not below 1.37 bar.
And yes, the compressor is not sufficient for power air tools.
The dealer explained both to me in detail.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, well well… I can confirm now on my North American Spec truck that after three restarts, the Adas speed warning is no longer automatically defaulting back to on.

It’s staying off even after the truck is turned off with the key out and locked for an hour or two.

I just noticed this today on a business trip with several stops. It just started today with this new behavior. Maybe this is due to an over the air update? I haven’t been to the dealer… And this is new behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 13

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Well, well well… I can confirm now on my North American Spec truck that after three restarts, the Adas speed warning is no longer automatically defaulting back to on.

It’s staying off even after the truck is turned off with the key out and locked for an hour or two.

I just noticed this today on a business trip with several stops. It just started today with this new behavior. Maybe this is due to an over the air update? I haven’t been to the dealer… And this is new behavior.
Over the air, as in wireless or cellular service? I didn't know these vehicles had any of that. Would be nice...

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score

Cheers.
I've used the single ARB compressor for a few years (don'thave one now) , never had any issues pumping up 4 tyres from 15psi without stopping. They do get hot, like all compressors.
I have a 9lt air tank for the air suspension on my camper, it's OK for making minor adjustments to the ride height, to use it for anything else other than blowing dust off the camper with an air blower/dust gun it's pretty useless. A bigger compressor will only fill the tank faster and once the air in the tank is gone you're relying on the output of the compressor. I don't know of any 12v compressor that can power workshop air tools effectively.
I'd be interested to see if there are some.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
Yes, he knows his stuff. He drives off-road himself and uses exactly this compressor. Yes, I am happy to hear from anyone who can provide competent information.
I reckon that’s all good advice rovie
In the past I’ve used the ARB portable single, no problem airing up and down all four tyres on a single vehicle. Absolutely reliable.

Use case for the twin is 35s or larger and/or airing up and down multiple vehicles, such as when travelling in convoy.
It will also run a blower gun for housekeeping in dusty environments, best results in this case with the tank added.

Tank might be essential if one plans to employ a rattle gun/air wrench.
Personally I rather prefer a 12V impact wrench so twin with no tank is our install.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I reckon that’s all good advice rovie
In the past I’ve used the ARB portable single, no problem airing up and down all four tyres on a single vehicle. Absolutely reliable.

Use case for the twin is 35s or larger and/or airing up and down multiple vehicles, such as when travelling in convoy.
It will also run a blower gun for housekeeping in dusty environments, best results in this case with the tank added.

Tank might be essential if one plans to employ a rattle gun/air wrench.
Personally I rather prefer a 12V impact wrench so twin with no tank is our install.
Thanks globalgregors for your opinion/experience. This confirms exactly what my dealer said and my requirements. Perhaps my requirements will change over time. Then I'll just have to invest again.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
New air compressor option. Mounts in the engine bay and power comes from the positive pole used for jump starting. It has a small air tank to blow air, it's a single compressor.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
New air compressor option. Mounts in the engine bay and power comes from the positive pole used for jump starting. It has a small air tank to blow air, it's a single compressor.

Need to relocate & replumb the power steering reservoir? Think the pic showing the positive pole is showing where they moved the reservoir to.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Need to relocate & replumb the power steering reservoir? Think the pic showing the positive pole is showing where they moved the reservoir to.
Our LHD reservoir is already on the other side (y)

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like black sheep will be launching a dual arb setup for the rear tire. You can buy it w the compressor or without. It will come with the Nato wiring.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Touring with this Dunn and Watson at present. Single drawer set up to keep it as light as possible. My other wagon has twin drawers and prefer the single now, open up and everything is there. I was going to put a full width top on it and fill the sides but undecided now having used it. I have a D&W drop fridge slide to fit later so might be better with the top on so I can fit the slide to the far left. I'm finding it handy at present using dead space either side of the drawers for throwing 'stuff' in...

View attachment 7834096
View attachment 7834097

View attachment 7834098
Hi Bakepl, i have a very similar setup to you from Dunn and Watson and just wondering if you get some rattles from the slides?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Bakepl, i have a very similar setup to you from Dunn and Watson and just wondering if you get some rattles from the slides?
I'm thinking so but haven't overly noticed if it's the slides or something else - and then it's not often. I'm touring at present with a heap of gear in the drawers and a fridge slide on top. I have carpet glued to the top of the drawers and then on the bottom or each drawer as well, (not the sides in or out) so this may help with noise. Every now and then I hear something when I hit a bump at speed but not sure if it would be the slides or other gear I have around. I may put more carpet on the inside of the drawer sides but will wait 'till I return home and decide. Happy with the set up, perhaps need a little more strength on the top of the drawers to carry some load - they did tell me this could be an issue but I preferred the single drawer set up as it's so light.

Back
Top Bottom