The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

USA Grenadier Experience (Seattle Region) 11-12 May

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Great time today! Ineos staff was great. Met two great guys from Spokane, sorry I had to take off. I was sold as soon as I knew I could fit. (6'7") Drive was so sweet with only center dif locked. I hope December timeline holds. Cheers!
IMG_3810.jpg

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
I was in Seattle today too. I missed the one in my backyard so had to fly there. Some of my thoughts are as follows (and I realize these may have already been discussed elsewhere):

Everything about the outside is great. The doors shut with a thud, the ladder feels sturdy, the frame has a great coating on it and the whole damn thing just looks fantastic.
I was shifting away from the Britannia Blue to the Shale Blue, but Britannia looks so good in person! It is really sharp. One observation from one of the guys there is that on the darker colors the black trim will blend in, where it will pop on the lighter colors. It's personal preference.
Inside it is definitely more truck than SUV. I know most people here know that but it does not have the higher end feel and finishes of other options. Could elicit some side-eye from my wife.
I was a little disappointed by the screen over the control panel; it has a lot of data but is hard to read from the driver's seat. The backup camera (only in reverse) is pretty small.
The screen in the drivers wheel had a whole bunch of error messages. My driver said it was still a software problem.
I am not a big guy, but I found it hard to get into. You definitely need the grab bars. I thought the rock sliders might help with this but they don't. It made me decide to go with the step, but I am more a Fieldmaster type anyway. I am going to use this to drive on sand.
And nobody is sitting in the middle of the back row; there is no place to put your feet!
The seats are all manual. There is a pump that can raise or lower what you are sitting on; higher is better! Both driver and front passenger.
The is not a lot you can see through the rear view mirror; the doors and the spare block the view. My driver said he would mount his spares on the roof!
Driving the car (which after all is what it's all about) is a total blast, especially once you get the seat dialed in. The track was nothing crazy, but the Grenadier ate up the ruts, bumps, huge puddles, etc. like candy. As noted everything is in low gear, center diff.
I see what people mean about the steering. My guy had me turning into the curves really early. Nothing you can't get used to though.
I did not find the gas/brake pedals to be so close as to mistake one for the other. But I did not have bulky shoes on.
The toot button and horn are a bit weird. The horn has a double tone and the toot really isn't that gentle. My driver said the toot sounds like
"I'm angry and want to pass" and the horn sounds like "two people are angry and want to pass".

A couple of their comments about the process:
20 dealers so far nationwide.
Dealers won't be announced until August AFTER you have placed your order. But they say you can change your dealer right up till close to taking delivery. If you don't like your dealer you can change. (But there's only 20.)
As for MSRP, they said that in the US they will try to hold the line against dealer markups, but if a dealer "wants to charge your $2K to put nitrogen in your tires" there's not much Ineos can do. But, as noted above, you can change dealers.
There is a limit of ~5500 Grenadiers that will be sold in the US per year, so as to avoid US regulations on emissions, etc.
They currently have about 8500 reservations.
If you have an early reservation expect the car by December; if you don't expect it by April, 2024.

I have an early reservation and have been following along expecting to buy one. I have to say was a little let down today given some of the things noted above. Will I still get one? Most likely.

I also met some really nice people, like Scott and Susan and their sweet dog Willie.

I think that's everything. I am not as technical a car guy as many on here are, so these are just my observations. I hope they help.

Attachments

• IMG_6925.jpeg
    IMG_6925.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6926.jpeg
    IMG_6926.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6928.jpeg
    IMG_6928.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 46
Local time
Reaction score
I was in Seattle today too. I missed the one in my backyard so had to fly there. Some of my thoughts are as follows (and I realize these may have already been discussed elsewhere):

Everything about the outside is great. The doors shut with a thud, the ladder feels sturdy, the frame has a great coating on it and the whole damn thing just looks fantastic.
I was shifting away from the Britannia Blue to the Shale Blue, but Britannia looks so good in person! It is really sharp. One observation from one of the guys there is that on the darker colors the black trim will blend in, where it will pop on the lighter colors. It's personal preference.
Inside it is definitely more truck than SUV. I know most people here know that but it does not have the higher end feel and finishes of other options. Could elicit some side-eye from my wife.
I was a little disappointed by the screen over the control panel; it has a lot of data but is hard to read from the driver's seat. The backup camera (only in reverse) is pretty small.
The screen in the drivers wheel had a whole bunch of error messages. My driver said it was still a software problem.
I am not a big guy, but I found it hard to get into. You definitely need the grab bars. I thought the rock sliders might help with this but they don't. It made me decide to go with the step, but I am more a Fieldmaster type anyway. I am going to use this to drive on sand.
And nobody is sitting in the middle of the back row; there is no place to put your feet!
The seats are all manual. There is a pump that can raise or lower what you are sitting on; higher is better! Both driver and front passenger.
The is not a lot you can see through the rear view mirror; the doors and the spare block the view. My driver said he would mount his spares on the roof!
Driving the car (which after all is what it's all about) is a total blast, especially once you get the seat dialed in. The track was nothing crazy, but the Grenadier ate up the ruts, bumps, huge puddles, etc. like candy. As noted everything is in low gear, center diff.
I see what people mean about the steering. My guy had me turning into the curves really early. Nothing you can't get used to though.
I did not find the gas/brake pedals to be so close as to mistake one for the other. But I did not have bulky shoes on.
The toot button and horn are a bit weird. The horn has a double tone and the toot really isn't that gentle. My driver said the toot sounds like
"I'm angry and want to pass" and the horn sounds like "two people are angry and want to pass".

A couple of their comments about the process:
20 dealers so far nationwide.
Dealers won't be announced until August AFTER you have placed your order. But they say you can change your dealer right up till close to taking delivery. If you don't like your dealer you can change. (But there's only 20.)
As for MSRP, they said that in the US they will try to hold the line against dealer markups, but if a dealer "wants to charge your $2K to put nitrogen in your tires" there's not much Ineos can do. But, as noted above, you can change dealers.
There is a limit of ~5500 Grenadiers that will be sold in the US per year, so as to avoid US regulations on emissions, etc.
They currently have about 8500 reservations.
If you have an early reservation expect the car by December; if you don't expect it by April, 2024.

I have an early reservation and have been following along expecting to buy one. I have to say was a little let down today given some of the things noted above. Will I still get one? Most likely.

I also met some really nice people, like Scott and Susan and their sweet dog Willie.

I think that's everything. I am not as technical a car guy as many on here are, so these are just my observations. I hope they help.
With a 5500 Unit limit do you think that will some how help them get around the chicken tax for the truck? I forgot to ask at the event when is the soonest we would see the truck and if we could convert our order to the truck. Any thoughts?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With a 5500 Unit limit do you think that will some how help them get around the chicken tax for the truck? I forgot to ask at the event when is the soonest we would see the truck and if we could convert our order to the truck. Any thoughts?
I believe the station wagon is exempt from the chicken tax because it's 4 doors. 2 door models would be hit, though. The big reason is probably to skirt emissions like a lot of the luxury carmakers do.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
What is the “chicken tax”?

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
What is the “chicken tax”?
A really dumb, really old tariff, that protects US truck makers from competition.

From Wikipedia:

The Chicken Tax is a 25 percent tariff on light trucks (and originally on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy) imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.[1] The period from 1961 to 1964[2] of tensions and negotiations surrounding the issue was known as the "Chicken War", taking place at the height of Cold War politics.[3]

Eventually, the tariffs on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy were lifted,[4] but since 1964 this form of protectionism has remained in place to give US domestic automakers an advantage over imported competitors.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
All I can add from my drive today, do not play rock, paper, scissors with @jeremy_matrix. Both of us wanted to take the MM but he won. The second thing is it a tighter interior similar to my 87 MR2. Not a complaint but a surprise because it is a big vehicle. I think a screen cover can take a way the sun's reflection on the front screen. I did scrap the bottom front exiting a water hole. My instructor who was awesome, said lets try this line. Not a concern and I have always thought the IG is built around thoughtful decision making on and off road. I posted these pictures on the color thread but here are Sherman William paint cards for people that need some help picking between SW and MM. MM is mega greige and SW is a less of Creamy or white flour

Attachments

• 20230512_102100.jpg
    20230512_102100.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230512_102017.jpg
    20230512_102017.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 36

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
All I can add from my drive today, do not play rock, paper, scissors with @jeremy_matrix. Both of us wanted to take the MM but he won. The second thing is it a tighter interior similar to my 87 MR2. Not a complaint but a surprise because it is a big vehicle. I think a screen cover can take a way the sun's reflection on the front screen. I did scrap the bottom front exiting a water hole. My instructor who was awesome, said lets try this line. Not a concern and I have always thought the IG is built around thoughtful decision making on and off road. I posted these pictures on the color thread but here are Sherman William paint cards for people that need some help picking between SW and MM. MM is mega greige and SW is a less of Creamy or white flour
You don't get these hard decisions when you go for Donny grey

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
I was shifting away from the Britannia Blue to the Shale Blue, but Britannia looks so good in person! It is really sharp.
Me too, I like Shale but Britannia would look even better with the white top. I might chicken out and go silver.

Local time
Reaction score
Me too, I like Shale but Britannia would look even better with the white top. I might chicken out and go silver.
Completely agree; if I get the Britannia it would be with a white roof! Otherwise, Shale.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wish they had a green one there today. Color looks better in person. I drove the shale but leaning Scottish White after seeing most of them in the metal.
PXL_20230512_174129472.jpg

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, and I was told the 5500 vehicle cap is to stay under the limits for CAFE restrictions. I suggested that the smaller EV rumored to come next would allow Ineos to import more Grenadiers, and the rep said that was exactly correct.

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The CAFE restrictions actually limit Ineos to 4999 per year. I confirmed this with all 3 Ineos employees that were there today. What I’m really curious about is where the reservation numbers stand. Our household has 2 from September 30, 2021. I asked the reps if they knew how to decipher the reservation numbers but no luck. Interestingly, when we did our reservations I did mine first thing when they opened. My wife’s was end of the day and was only 13 numbers higher. I suspect not many people jumped on the early reservation bandwagon

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I’m reservation 0005490961 and was told by Ken today that meant I’m #961 in the US. Apparently the last 4 numbers are the ones that matter. He also said that would likely be a January delivery if I converted in the 1st 4 weeks of ordering.

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m reservation 0005490961 and was told by Ken today that meant I’m #961 in the US. Apparently the last 4 numbers are the ones that matter. He also said that would likely be a January delivery if I converted in the 1st 4 weeks of ordering.
Ok, that might make since as ours are

0005269298​

&​

0005269312​

@MurphyMurph when did you complete your reservation?

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it helps decipher or narrow down the orders, my last 4 digits are 5368 and the reservation is dated June 9th, 2022. 🤷‍♂️

I'm anticipating delivery sometime between Thanksgiving 2023 and my winning the Nobel prize for economics. 😉

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I was at the last session today and thought I’d share my thoughts. Like many of us, I’ve been following this vehicle pretty closely for a bit now so I had a big list of things to check out at the drive event. I’ll highlight a few here:
  • Suspension was very compliant over all the terrain. My wife rode along in the back and was very pleased with the ride quality and comfort of the rear seat.
  • My instructor (Melvin, super cool dude) showed me the most difficult lines and deepest sections of the mud puddles and I never once felt unsure of the vehicles capabilities. I had a little cross axle 2-wheel action and it was almost unnoticeable it handled it so well. I even stopped in the middle of the muddiest section and it started right up and pulled right out.
  • The turning circle is tighter than I expected it to be. Felt about the same or maybe even tighter than my 80-series Land Cruiser.
  • I liked the Shale Blue much more than expected, but the Magic Mushroom really caught my eye. Britannia Blue was my first choice after only seeing it on a screen, but in person, albeit covered in mud on a sunny day, the color was not as distinguishable from the Donne Grey.
  • Backseat leg room seemed perfectly adequate, I’m 5’-8”. With the driver seat fully slid back I had about an inch to my knees.
  • The front door pockets will hold a 1 liter water bottle.
  • My test vehicle had the side steps and they didn’t catch at any point during the drive. Depending on price, I might skip them and go with an aftermarket version. I also checked out the rock sliders and they are very solid but don’t offer much of a step.
  • The safari windows allow very little heat transfer. It was about 81F out when I was there.
  • I was surprised how little mud/water splashed up when blasting through the deepest puddles. In my current rig I would have needed the wipers but the spray was directed outwards instead of back up at the vehicle.
  • When I got in, I’m pretty sure the wipers hadn’t been run all day so there was a nice layer of caked on mud and dirt on the windshield. I ran the sprayers and the windshield cleaned up on the first swipe. The small triangle in the lower left (LHD) was absolutely not an issue, just forget anyone ever mentioned it.
  • Ken said he expects MPG to be around 19 combined and around 22 for hwy.
  • The engine isn’t picky in what oil to run, just needs to meet the euro spec (not sure which one).
  • The starter is easily accessible, which is nice coming from owning a couple Toyotas with the 4.7l v8 where the starter is buried under the intake manifold.
  • Can take 33” tires with no issues. I’m thinking of opting for the standard Bridgestone tire to save $ and when it’s time to get new rubber I upsize to a set of 33s.
  • The raised intake is cool, but probably not necessary for my needs. Then again it does look pretty good…
And a couple pics from the drive today:

Britannia Blue
B86A05A0-D4E3-426D-B2C8-FD40248CFAA6.jpeg

Scottish White
CC01CB20-F52D-461D-8152-F316DB28E572.jpeg

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe it's the invoice number, not the reservation number, that dictates your "order number". My reservation is xx2388 but my invoice is xx0280. I ordered within 15 minutes of receiving the notification email on 9/29/21. If it is res number, @MurphyMurph having 0961 with a 2023 reservation date would mean there's something goofy going on. I wish it were more transparent with the explanation from Ineos which number it actually is. They keep saying order number but that isn't the wording used in any of their comms.

Back
Top Bottom