The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Unacceptable build quality issues on delivery?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Just a few more rubbing hoses/pipes...

Location: Under bonnet fusebox (RHD) on left of photo & low pressure coolant header tank on right of photo.
Green circles are loom clips poorly fitted or as in the case of the lower one completely orphaned.
Red square is where loom rubs on coolant hose from low pressure coolant header tank.
IMG_20230626_111529898_HDR.jpg

Talking of that coolant hose - how are you expected to get to this hose clip?
IMG_20230626_111703025_HDR.jpg

Location: Rear left side fixing of low pressure coolant header tank.

Hydraulic pipes (2 off) are held off touching the bracket by a piece of cut hose.
IMG_20230626_112110053_HDR.jpg

However, the cut hose is too small a diameter for the pipe (looks like a production line bodge rather than a fully engineered solution) and so sits badly in a poor position:
IMG_20230626_112100903.jpg
IMG_20230626_111833452_HDR.jpg

AWo

Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
Found pools of water in the front steering guard sides - with the way it's formed it's hard to see a way for it to drain:
View attachment 7811435
But impressed with the way the rear edge has been lipped over - seems to be a lot stronger than I thought from initial viewing.
Keep an eye on it. Mercedes-Benz had a water trap engineered in the upper rear damper mount bracket. They rusted like hell.

20220711_172326.jpg

Cheers
AWo

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Whilst I can't describe it as a fault, I'm curious why a number of the hoses have marks for the clips and then are fitted ignoring the marks, especially when you look closer and find rubbing:
IMG_20230626_112946849_HDR.jpg
WP_20230610_14_41_41_Pro.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Location: This is a view vertically down the rear offside corner (RHD) of the engine compartment.

The green circle shows were the bonnet release cable exits the front bulkhead via a grommet. However, because the cable has been routed over the bracket (red square), instead on under it, it has stretched the grommet such that the purpose of the grommet (in part) to keep water out has been breached.

The issue is exacerbated as the downward tilt of the cable into the bulhead makes a natural path for water tracking along the cable:

IMG_20230626_113726898.jpg: IMG_20230626_113726898.jpg

Edit: For typo.

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,
Yesterday I had a 90 minute call with Tom Johnson and Steve Graham of Ineos. Re these clips, I was told that a number of clips and hoses were wrong or missing and needed to be rectified, also my car needs a new Transfer Box as mine is out of spec.

Updates to the computer system are looking like August and it is possible that it will be in two instalments and at dealer location only.
Steve was not aware that the oil level check that is performed by the computer fait to complete its cycle to give a reading.

Steve has been with Ineos for five years and he has been the driving force behind the availability of workshop manuals etc to us all. They are with all the dealers and in the not too distant future will be made available to all, however it will be on a pay per view format with probably a 7 day access as the shortest time period. Parts and spares will be available only through dealers in the first two years.

13 pin plug modifications are being examined by Ineos but not in the near future, (I have already replaced mine).

Ineos have notified DVLA of all the vehicles that were incorrectly as Fieldmaster or Trialmaster Delay is with DVLA now for replacement V5.

As regards to my car, when all is ready, it will go in and every thing required will be done in one go. ( that may take some time)!

My main thoughts after this lengthy call are that these guys are are very supportive of us "early adopters" as they call us, guinea pigs is what I called us! Ineos will solve the problems on the early vehicles and delivery systems as a priority because they know that we are the best supporters and advertisers they have and it is the right thing to do. Jim Ratcliffe is of the same opinion and is aware of the situation.

I love driving and using my Trialmaster and am confident now, that it will be brought up to the spec it should have been at delivery and in the near future.

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,
Yesterday I had a 90 minute call with Tom Johnson and Steve Graham of Ineos. Re these clips, I was told that a number of clips and hoses were wrong or missing and needed to be rectified, also my car needs a new Transfer Box as mine is out of spec.

Updates to the computer system are looking like August and it is possible that it will be in two instalments and at dealer location only.
Steve was not aware that the oil level check that is performed by the computer fait to complete its cycle to give a reading.

Steve has been with Ineos for five years and he has been the driving force behind the availability of workshop manuals etc to us all. They are with all the dealers and in the not too distant future will be made available to all, however it will be on a pay per view format with probably a 7 day access as the shortest time period. Parts and spares will be available only through dealers in the first two years.

13 pin plug modifications are being examined by Ineos but not in the near future, (I have already replaced mine).

Ineos have notified DVLA of all the vehicles that were incorrectly as Fieldmaster or Trialmaster Delay is with DVLA now for replacement V5.

As regards to my car, when all is ready, it will go in and every thing required will be done in one go. ( that may take some time)!

My main thoughts after this lengthy call are that these guys are are very supportive of us "early adopters" as they call us, guinea pigs is what I called us! Ineos will solve the problems on the early vehicles and delivery systems as a priority because they know that we are the best supporters and advertisers they have and it is the right thing to do. Jim Ratcliffe is of the same opinion and is aware of the situation.

I love driving and using my Trialmaster and am confident now, that it will be brought up to the spec it should have been at delivery and in the near future.
can you clarify out of spec in regards to your transfer box please and thanks for the update

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
can you clarify out of spec in regards to your transfer box please and thanks for the update
Apparently the gear tolerances are a couple of thou out on the early builds. These vehicles are still working fine but those identified will have them changed in the near future. I do not know how many there are, my vin ends 0698. A schedule will be prepared in near future. I just wanted mine done all at once.

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
sounds ominous for me as my last 3 are 848 did they tell you this or had you raised concerns?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
And what does Lynn Calder do? Is it not her task to get things right? She's not very present nor communcative, isn't she? I would expect her to talk to customers, getting faith back again, telling how they will get the processes right. Not Jim Ratcliffe. He has top many "jobs" to take care....

AWo

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
sounds ominous for me as my last 3 are 848 did they tell you this or had you raised concerns?
Steve Graham told me, I was unaware. They are fine to use as they are but will be changed as a precaution / recall is my understanding.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for posting this hugely constructive post - exactly what we wanted to hear.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not Jim Ratcliffe. He has top many "jobs" to take care....
Well, I don't agree. The Grenadier was the "baby" of Jim Ratcliffe. It would be nice if he would tell us something reassuring!
We only saw him on the video with Lewis Hamilton, but this was marketing.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
And what does Lynn Calder do? Is it not her task to get things right? She's not very present nor communcative, isn't she? I would expect her to talk to customers, getting faith back again, telling how they will get the processes right. Not Jim Ratcliffe. He has top many "jobs" to take care....

AWo
Is it your job to discredit Ineos?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do we get heads of companies constantly giving "feel good" interviews every 2 months? Of course not, I think we need to face reality, Ineos are selling the product, they are aware of some problems (as per the recent survey) and these will be addressed on new builds and for those fortunate to own a vehicle, will be fixed on the software recall.

I am personally fed up of those who are always trying to find fault and publicise it. If you don't like the product shut the F*** Up and go away.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
Do we get heads of companies constantly giving "feel good" interviews every 2 months? Of course not, I think we need to face reality, Ineos are selling the product, they are aware of some problems (as per the recent survey) and these will be addressed on new builds and for those fortunate to own a vehicle, will be fixed on the software recall.

I am personally fed up of those who are always trying to find fault and publicise it. If you don't like the product shut the F*** Up and go away.
100% agree.
Some people are so annoyingly negative you would have to hope you never get stuck with them at a BBQ or dinner table.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
100% agree.
Some people are so annoyingly negative you would have to hope you never get stuck with them at a BBQ or dinner table.
OTOH some people are overwhelmingly and nauseatingly positive you feel compelled to drink ale with them immediately.

Back
Top Bottom