The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Unacceptable build quality issues on delivery?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
But it can not be every single odd thing or vague malfunction that happened once or twice and to only one or two owners.

The problems must be of some substance or importance, not one-off and open to human error, but often repeated and by many different owners.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
The more I look at that skew-whiff boot I cannot see how it could be placed on the black rings and not cause friction. Presuming the black rings are static and the boot rotates with the steel column???

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The more I look at that skew-whiff boot I cannot see how it could be placed on the black rings and not cause friction. Presuming the black rings are static and the boot rotates with the steel column???
I guess it depends if we are defining the black rings as the same thing?

Clearly, there are circular shapes on the flange of the box itself that will not move, but immediately below the silver UJ there is a small section of the steering column/shaft visible before it enters the steering box. This must rotate with the upper portion of the column and it's this position I'm querying?

I've marked it here with a green line:
20230516_135700.jpg

I'll post a photo in better light tomorrow, but that's where my boot now resides after a visit to the agent's today and a discussion with them there.

Interestingly, every bonnet we opened had the boot in the "short" position above the bolted connection. The techie said it was a bugger to get it over the bolt, which may mean it is not right; or that the difficulty with undertaking the task correctly is why they all are "short".

I'm more than happy to be wrong, but has anyone ever seen a boot fitted in such a manner before - it isn't even sealed on the lower end and half the lip is turned under on itself?

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Clearly, there are circular shapes on the flange of the box itself that will not move, but immediately below the silver UJ there is a small section of the steering column/shaft visible before it enters the steering box. This must rotate with the upper portion of the column and it's this position I'm querying?

View attachment 7812120

I'll post a photo in better light tomorrow, but that's where my boot now resides after a visit to the agent's today and a discussion with them there.

Interestingly, every bonnet we opened had the boot in the "short" position above the bolted connection. The techie said it was a bugger to get it over the bolt, which may mean it is not right; or that the difficulty with undertaking the task correctly is why they all are "short".

I'm more than happy to be wrong, but has anyone ever seen a boot fitted in such a manner before - it isn't even sealed on the lower end and half the lip is turned under on itself?
I see what you mean. Either placement seems sub-optimum. Will investigate with mine when arrives. Which at the current prospects means it will have perished!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Either placement seems sub-optimum. Will investigate with mine when arrives. Which at the current prospects means it will have perished!
LOL - I'm pretty sure my old Defender never came with a boot; and the UJ rubbed against the lower intercooler hose and holed it. There was a Recall Notice/TSB to fit an additional bracket to the new hose to ensure clearance. So some improvements, albeit subject to a steward's enquiry.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
Does that part even move? Or does the steering rod reside inside it?

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7812120

Said photo:
WP_20230517_088.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
looks better. you reckon will stay there or unclear?
I can't see why it should stay there. It's certainly not going to creep back to where it was - the bolted joint will not allow that.

I'll see how it fares over the next few journeys and report back one way or the other.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
Well let’s face it, I would suggest this is THE customer IG customer forum/community in the world so it would make sense to see what people are saying on here.

Must make great reading for someone. Wonder it they the “watchers” take the same attitude as my workplace and just tell the big bosses…they all love the vehicle sir, no there are no complaints and everyone is happy with everything IA have done so far in all aspects and they wouldn’t change a thing !!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
The idea of a spreadsheet or list to help new owners check the PDI and help the handover would be very much appreciated and of huge benefit
Is this something that people want?

I don't mind putting things together but its going to be totally reliant on others experiences.

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
One final note, which when looking through old photos for comparison, I note someone has already picked up on:
View attachment 7809919

It seems the same trim piece (rear lower edge of rear seats) is being used for both M1 & N1. In M1 you can see how it form fits around the wheelarch; but when moved forward in the N1 it leaves quite an unsightly gap exposing the bare floor and quite a bit of seam sealing.
This and the headliner would be the only things that would bother me.

Back
Top Bottom