The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Unacceptable build quality issues on delivery?

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi All.
I hope this is a small thread.
Now that we are getting deliveries across the board, I was wondering if we could have a conversation about what issues forum members are noticing on their cars at the time of delivery.
This will help all of us check our vehicles for these potential issues when our cars arrive, and then we can decide whether they are acceptable or not.

We have had a few like @emax trim gap, but I am sure others could be noticing things that are a little disappointing.

Thanks in advance.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
Good idea. As you say, hopefully not competition to worry the 'sick of waiting' post count!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So how many forum members have actually driven away? I think it's too small to start this but we could bump maybe in a months time and see?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So these are all pre-PDI photos, indeed the vehicle had only been unloaded from the transporter earlier that day.

Rear floor trim fit ~ looks perfect:
WP_20230428_015.jpg

Vertical Towing interface ~ looks fine:
WP_20230428_018.jpg

Rear towing eye ~ wax overspray but absolutely fine:
WP_20230428_019.jpg

Towing type approval sticker ~ some damage to lower right edge:
WP_20230428_024.jpg

Water run/droplets down inner face of large rear door, hopefully just from when being open in the rain but wasn't raining when I viewed:
WP_20230428_028.jpg

Back sides of rear seats, marked and one small scratch:
WP_20230428_049.jpgWP_20230428_050.jpg

Rear power outlet ~ damaged sticker:
WP_20230428_053.jpg

Interior utility belt ~ not sure if these are waxed paper washers or glue, several similar:
WP_20230428_054.jpg

Headlining trim ~ small runout on join:
WP_20230428_057.jpg

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
36km on the odo, no sign of any transfer case OK sticker:
WP_20230428_081.jpg

Light surface rust on all wheel centres:
WP_20230428_091.jpg

One missing dust cap:
WP_20230428_092.jpg
And whilst I did not note at the time, from the photo it looks like the tyres are @10 months old.

Nothing I'll be asking to speak to Lynn Calder about. 😉

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One final note, which when looking through old photos for comparison, I note someone has already picked up on:
7153BAA4-233A-4922-B401-ED404DA7384E.jpeg

It seems the same trim piece (rear lower edge of rear seats) is being used for both M1 & N1. In M1 you can see how it form fits around the wheelarch; but when moved forward in the N1 it leaves quite an unsightly gap exposing the bare floor and quite a bit of seam sealing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well hopefully others will share their experiences and it can be a useful constructive thread. 🤞

I'm certain I will have missed things, so if others add their points then I'll have a full customer PDI list, to use on handover.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Experience will accumulate and develop a comprehensive list for a meticulous check.

I'm not a book keeper and for me any such work is a pain. But perhaps somebody wants to maintain a written list which @Stu_Barnes could pin somewhere in the forum.

But I can at least write down what I know from the top of my head;
  1. Order: Does the car match the order?
  2. Inside: Check for transport paper in the car to preserve arrival date at transport company.
  3. Check for "transfer box" notes in the car
  4. Check ODO distance.
  5. Check for trim gaps in general and in particular at B-pillar and covers in front of the seats.
  6. Check for scratched plastic parts in general.
  7. Are there any bent or distorted plastic parts?
  8. Check for scratched door sills.
  9. Outside: Check for paint scratches.
  10. Are the recesses behind the door handles scratched?
  11. Check for scratched plastic, e.g. of the spare-wheel cover/box, bumpers etc.
  12. Check for damages of the door edges (e.g. from recklessly opening them and touching neighpor cars)
  13. Check towing plate for damages (damaged power coating)
  14. Is the ladder scratched (e.g. from climbing it with dirty boots)?
  15. Is there any rust around the wheel centers
  16. All dust caps are mounted on the tire valves?
  17. Accessories: Bag for safari windows
  18. Hydraulic Jack,
  19. Tools under passenger seat including hydraulic jack lever extensions
  20. First aid box
  21. Warning vest
  22. Warning triangle
Anybody can add, insert, correct whatever he/she thinks. The numbering updates automatically, even after Copy & Paste. But Order/Inside/Outside/Accessories sections should remain separated.

EDIT: added ODO distance check

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
I've no problem drawing up a spreadsheet that can be downloaded in the resources section, but it will be a question of how far down the rabbit hole we go with this.

Also fundamentally I'll be relying on other peoples lists to compile a definitive guide for both let and right hand drive vehicles petrol and diesel, and thats before we get to the different checks on the respective factory extras that people have bought.

If thats what people want........

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just to add a postscript, as there's always going to be things that get missed first, or even second time around.

Utility belt lower, smaller fixings - a number of them are not straight:
WP_20230512_048.jpg

Anyone know why I have a capped wheel nut? The others are the takeoffs when the locking nuts were added by the agent:
WP_20230512_067.jpg

Could others share a photo of their steering column UJ? I can't believe that the boot is correctly placed towards the visible bolt head?
WP_20230512_075.jpg

Coolant hose from left hand header tank to radiator - seems completely unsupported and in fact rubs on remote terminal casing, upper connector of circuit breaker (I moved the rubber support to this position from a couple of inches to the right - where it was doing nothing as it was in mid air):
WP_20230512_082.jpg

Power steering fluid reservoir was just below minimum - not sure if it's supposed to be checked in this state or with engine running?:
WP_20230512_090.jpg

Need to investigate further what these cables are that seem to hang very low on the right hand side, just behind the drivers door:
WP_20230512_024.jpg

KO2s seem to pick up far more gravel than my Goodyear Duratecs - this off just the visible part of one tyre:
WP_20230512_003.jpg

There's captive nuts welded behind all three sets of holes in the Vertical Towing Interface:
WP_20230512_015.jpg

The heat shielding is far more robust than it looks - very impressive:
WP_20230512_021.jpg

Also seriously impressive is the depth of the heat sink fins on the transfer case:
WP_20230512_026.jpg

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Found pools of water in the front steering guard sides - with the way it's formed it's hard to see a way for it to drain:
WP_20230512_037.jpg
But impressed with the way the rear edge has been lipped over - seems to be a lot stronger than I thought from initial viewing.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Found pools of water in the front steering guard sides - with the way it's formed it's hard to see a way for it to drain:
View attachment 7811435
But impressed with the way the rear edge has been lipped over - seems to be a lot stronger than I thought from initial viewing.
@DCPU, Where is this? I'm finding it difficult telling what I'm looking at? Sorry if I'm being dim.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The silver shiny bit under the front bumper - the photo is taken from the side looking along the back edge at right angles to the vehicle.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Nothing dreadful to report but in addition to rusty wheel centres and very slightly rusty wheel studs to one wheel, I have now picked up that the passenger side puddle light is not coming on (the driver’s side works ok), by the look of the gunk there has been some water blown out of the cooling top up lid and similarly there looks to be some very slight fluid leakage from the hydraulic fluid cap (or perhaps some fluid was spilt when they were topping up and they did not clean off the excess?), there were paint chips to a rear and front towing eye, no rubber mats were provided with the car (although these were part of my order and were paid for) and (not sure yet whether this is me or the car) I am sometimes finding I can’t get the car into reverse.

ryket

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
I am sometimes finding I can’t get the car into reverse.

I'd be curious to know more about this - do you think it's just unfamiliarity with the BMW gear shifter or something not working as it's supposed to?

Reactions: PBD

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My initial feeling was my unfamiliarity with the shifter eg do you need to press the side button at same time as moving the shifter to change from neutral to drive and ditto to reverse? Do you need your foot on brake to go from drive to neutral to reverse etc as well? The issue has happened 3 or 4 times and I have mucked around going from park back to drive etc etc to try to find reverse. On all occasions I have eventually got reverse after a couple of minutes. What is odd is that I have engaged reverse on a few occasions without any faff which makes me think may be the car is occasionally throwing a wobbly?

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ps the issue (if it is one), seems to happen after I have driven the car for a while (ie not on initial start up)

Reactions: PBD

Flewks

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My initial feeling was my unfamiliarity with the shifter eg do you need to press the side button at same time as moving the shifter to change from neutral to drive and ditto to reverse? Do you need your foot on brake to go from drive to neutral to reverse etc as well? The issue has happened 3 or 4 times and I have mucked around going from park back to drive etc etc to try to find reverse. On all occasions I have eventually got reverse after a couple of minutes. What is odd is that I have engaged reverse on a few occasions without any faff which makes me think may be the car is occasionally throwing a wobbly?
Yes, I understand that you need to press the side button AND have foot on brake when selecting reverse - at least that’s what was needed on my BMW 335d

Back
Top Bottom