The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Unacceptable build quality issues on delivery?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know more about this - do you think it's just unfamiliarity with the BMW gear shifter or something not working as it's supposed to?
I've had a few of the same problems but put it down entirely to user error. Driven plenty of autos in the past but they have all had a shifter lever that physically moves through the PDNR, whilst the Grenadier is more of a self returning switch.

FarmerWales

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rear passenger side door catch would not close. The plastic button was stuck pressed in, so when you close the door it would not catch. Agent fixed with lubricant and said there is a potential recall/replace for the door catches some vehicles.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
My rear passenger side door catch would not close. The plastic button was stuck pressed in, so when you close the door it would not catch. Agent fixed with lubricant and said there is a potential recall/replace for the door catches some vehicles.
Do you have a picture of the part please.

Reactions: PBD

FarmerWales

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the part please.
I don't know what part is causing the problem or the dealer 'lubricated'. The button that you push on the outside handle to open the door just got stuck in, so when I went to close the door it wouldn't pop out and release the catch to allow the door to catch/lock.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know what part is causing the problem or the dealer 'lubricated'. The button that you push on the outside handle to open the door just got stuck in, so when I went to close the door it wouldn't pop out and release the catch to allow the door to catch/lock.
Ok, now I understood. I thought it might be the part where the door catches the lock bar of the chassis

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
A photo of my steering column UJ?

Boot looks to be same place as you (although I’m not sure that tells you whether it is in the right place or not

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
This rubber cover does not look to me like a seriously mounted protection. Upon wading the water will just flow in.

Local time
Reaction score
l remember the recommended check list when we collected our new Defender 90 back in 2006.

Does every electrical item work
and
Will it actually start
Do the doors fit well enough to close properly
Are the footwells dry enough not to wet your feet.
ls there any visible rust on fittings and bolts.

We still loved our old Defender and kept it for eight years before swapping it for a 110, which l kept for a further eight years.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Brilliant thanks. 👍

I'm very much leaning to us both having it fitted incorrectly. It looks like it should clear the silver area completely and sit snuggly in one of the circular black areas.

Having looked at that last photo, I agree

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Just bumping the delivery condition poll. Hopefully as people take delivery and respond we get a good running total for number of vehicles now with forum members...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
by the look of the gunk there has been some water blown out of the cooling top up lid and similarly there looks to be some very slight fluid leakage from the hydraulic fluid cap (or perhaps some fluid was spilt when they were topping up and they did not clean off the excess?)
I also have these two issues. I'll see what the agent has to say about them later this morning. 👍

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There were rumours that some vehicles have had to have replacement control arms fitted. I wonder if during the removal refit process these had to be removed but were not properly refitted
Possible ~ my VIN is very close to someone else's who confirmed they had that work done on theirs.

There's also been talk around changes to the power steering box itself as well hydraulic hoses, but no actual service bulletins have surfaced yet. We need @Arkaig on the case.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, with some of these seals looking half baked, is it possible that wading in water on an 'unchecked' new delivery could be a risk right now?

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I've no problem drawing up a spreadsheet that can be downloaded in the resources section, but it will be a question of how far down the rabbit hole we go with this.

Also fundamentally I'll be relying on other peoples lists to compile a definitive guide for both let and right hand drive vehicles petrol and diesel, and thats before we get to the different checks on the respective factory extras that people have bought.

If thats what people want........

Back
Top Bottom