The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

tyre pressure monitoring system

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
When I changed wheels the sensors all worked but they didn’t remember their positions. I was told by the dealer that they would learn their positions after a short drive but they didn’t. I had to physically swap the wheels around to achieve the correct positions.
This was pre-software update.
If I go for a second set of wheels and tyres I doubt I’ll bother with the TPMS. I have managed fine for years without it.. although it would probably cause loads of error messages…
That seems odd. How do you get gwt on every 5000km when tyres are rotated?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
although it would probably cause loads of error messages…
I hate useless warnings or too early warnings or repeated non critical warnings.

This is also a safety issue: it distracts the driver.

If, for instance, your car needs an oil change, OK to have short warning after starting the car, but then it should stop, till the next start.

In My Humble Opinion

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I go for a second set of wheels and tyres I doubt I’ll bother with the TPMS. I have managed fine for years without it..

Fully my point ! Don't need it, I see a deflated tyre.

Unfortunately, I now learned that TPMS systems are mandatory since 2014 in the EU, and - since it's labeled as a safety feature - (don't even get me started on this 🤯) - you can't opt out of it. If it came with TPMS, it is illegal to disable/uninstall it.
Another reason why I keep my 110 until one of us dies....

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Must be some owners getting beyond the 5,000 mile marker on the ODO. Considering I try and rotate around then or if busy at least once a year (always aim for some target for same mileage) has anyone noticed their TPMS not automatically updating each sensor on the new corner, and what of the spare? Has an agent gone into the ecu and updated?

Just curious, as my TPMS errors saga continues.

Merci.
Just read @Jeremy996 service schedule, it shows “Remove and rotate road wheels” at each service (12000mile).

Post in thread 'What did you do with your Grenadier today?'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...your-grenadier-today.12411127/post-1333220660

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just read @Jeremy996 service schedule, it shows “Remove and rotate road wheels” at each service (12000mile).

Post in thread 'What did you do with your Grenadier today?'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...your-grenadier-today.12411127/post-1333220660
Good practice regardless driving style and car in my book. My fronts and especially nearside front wear a damn sight quicker than the rears. Trick is to rotate before any major difference in cross axle pairs.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Trying to bring this back to the TPMS.... (Sorry :p )

I'm also about to order new rims for winter tyres. This time steel.
And yes, I had to sit down when I got the quote for the rims and the sensors.
≈ 205 € for the 17" steel wheels + 130 € for the sensors (+tax).
(Not what I was used to from my trusted 110).

My current understanding is that the TMPS sensors need to be programmed to the car. By the dealer.
But changing the tyres should only need a "relearning" procedure, which is different for each car.
Can anyone confirm ?

I asked Ineos Support for a clarification what is needed to relearn the sensors after changing.
Will see what they answer.
I haven't seen a resolution on the TPMS sensors from other threads. Maybe I missed it. But also ordering separate set winter tires/wheels and would prefer to have their own TPMS vs. swapping them out/in. If anyone has some definitive info on which TPMS sensors to buy, I'd welcome learning. What I am told in the US, as they have no record of the IG yet (as hasn't arrived), that they have no way of knowing. Thanks!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't seen a resolution on the TPMS sensors from other threads. Maybe I missed it. But also ordering separate set winter tires/wheels and would prefer to have their own TPMS vs. swapping them out/in. If anyone has some definitive info on which TPMS sensors to buy, I'd welcome learning. What I am told in the US, as they have no record of the IG yet (as hasn't arrived), that they have no way of knowing. Thanks!
There was a thread somewhere that showed the make and model I think. You’d still need the dealer to program them I think though.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Autel MaxiTPMS 508 Diagnostic Tool and it now has the Ineos Grenadier as a vehicle for which it can monitor, check and recode TPMS Sensors (very recent software update Oct 23).. I can get Autel 433/315 MHz generic sensors for as low as AUD $32ea. The TPMS Tool can code those sensors for the Ineos. The Continental TPMS part 407006UA0A is a 433 MHz sensor. I can find OEM Continentals for 2-3 times the price (and for a small fortune as a dealer spare part). Any comination of this pays for the TPMS diagnostics tool with a single set change and which will also diagnose and potentially allow for reset via OBD2 port for the vehicle not updating sensors after a wheel swap.) Tool has been invaluable for problems with my old Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time the original TPMS sensors started running out of battery - Jeep would call out the wrong sensors as failing after a rotate and well known Aus Tyre Co's replacing the wrong sensors.) Tool also shows battery health of sensor one metric missing from the Grenadier TPMS system.

Have a new set of wheels (and tyres) arriving for my Grenadier Trialmaster in the next few weeks (Method Race 701s in black with BFGoodrich KO2 285/70 R17 121/118R). I will advise how I go with using the Autel TPMS generics in them and swapping over the whole set.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Autel MaxiTPMS 508 Diagnostic Tool and it now has the Ineos Grenadier as a vehicle for which it can monitor, check and recode TPMS Sensors (very recent software update Oct 23).. I can get Autel 433/315 MHz generic sensors for as low as AUD $32ea. The TPMS Tool can code those sensors for the Ineos. The Continental TPMS part 407006UA0A is a 433 MHz sensor. I can find OEM Continentals for 2-3 times the price (and for a small fortune as a dealer spare part). Any comination of this pays for the TPMS diagnostics tool with a single set change and which will also diagnose and potentially allow for reset via OBD2 port for the vehicle not updating sensors after a wheel swap.) Tool has been invaluable for problems with my old Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time the original TPMS sensors started running out of battery - Jeep would call out the wrong sensors as failing after a rotate and well known Aus Tyre Co's replacing the wrong sensors.) Tool also shows battery health of sensor one metric missing from the Grenadier TPMS system.

Have a new set of wheels (and tyres) arriving for my Grenadier Trialmaster in the next few weeks (Method Race 701s in black with BFGoodrich KO2 285/70 R17 121/118R). I will advise how I go with using the Autel TPMS generics in them and swapping over the whole set.
That's good news. I checked their website and Ineos does not yet appear on the NA page, just EU. Not sure if it'll be the same but it's promising; and for $250 $220 (Walmart) it's not too bad.

edit - walmart has a kit with the 508 and 8 new sensors for under $300! KIT

Last edited:

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Around £200 UK for the wireless 508, great find.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 601 is a few dollars more (I found for $270) and it adds a few features, but there's one in particular that jumbos out - it will read OBDII codes. It cannot clear them though.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the post. Have all things crossed this is a work around. Would buy one in a flash. Have genereic 433hz on my current rims and tyres and need to get the Gren to learn them.

Local time
Reaction score
my 2 cents on the TMPS: I have an older LR and have replaced tires often. During a replacement, a local gas station shop did not replace the TMPS. Thus, I had an old TMPS on a new tire. At some point, the TMPS cracks. I think it was rubber? and the cold of New England (plus the salt) eventually did it in. By the time the TMPS came on to say my tire was flat, I had ruined the tire - there was no real warning and I was rolling on the "circle of death." The dealership told me that when tires are replaced they should have also replaced the TMPS (broken or not), but the local garage had overlooked it. The shop said there is an alternative, which is a tire gauge attached to the inside of the rim (he said older BMWs used this). I didn't do it, as now I know to replace the TMPS with each new set of tires, but it seems like a waste. I was very frustrated by an inexpensive TMPS that ruined a perfectly good tire. If I went old school and had no TMPS, my tire would have been rolling along fine - it was the TMPS that deflated the tire. So I'm not a fan of TMPS, and that's clearly a biased review of these things. I've been told everyone uses them, but personally, I'd be willing to try an alternative if one were available and not too costly.

Alprider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

That's great news Douggie, I'm away at work so will download the update when I get back home!

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Autel MaxiTPMS 508 Diagnostic Tool and it now has the Ineos Grenadier as a vehicle for which it can monitor, check and recode TPMS Sensors [..]
That's fantastic news ! 👏

Can you please report as soon as you have the new set of tyres and manages to map them to the Grenadier ?
I have an order of steel rims on hold, as this issue had not been solved. Mounted the winter tires on the original rims for this winter, but when spring comes, I would really like that second set.

Please keep us up to date !

(PS : I linked your post from the "https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tpms-the-quest-for-a-second-set-of-tyres-rims-sensors-technical.12413379/" thread.)

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's fantastic news ! 👏

Can you please report as soon as you have the new set of tyres and manages to map them to the Grenadier ?
I have an order of steel rims on hold, as this issue had not been solved. Mounted the winter tires on the original rims for this winter, but when spring comes, I would really like that second set.

Please keep us up to date !

(PS : I linked your post from the "https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tpms-the-quest-for-a-second-set-of-tyres-rims-sensors-technical.12413379/" thread.)
Still waiting for the rims, I got caught with the Aus DP World cyber attack delays. Have tyres and Autel sensors and can code them and read them as Ineos Grenadier on the MaxiTPMS 508. But as for the real vehicle, it won’t happen this week and am away for next two weeks. It’ll be week beginning Dec 4 before they are fitted.

Back
Top Bottom