The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

tyre pressure monitoring system

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
On Wednesday morning, the day I had to go to my dealer I got a low pressure warning. Strange, the right front tire was white colored!
View attachment 7828956

I have a cheap Chinese compressor, and decided to inflate the tires myself (to test the compressor AND my battery behavior, while motor wasn't running), and did put the pressure of the front tires to 2.8 bar and the rear to 3.0 bar. I knew this was too high, as my car was unloaded, but this was a test as I said, knowing that deflating is easy. The Chinese compressor was slow, but behaved very well, nice toy, and the battery voltage went down from 12.8 Volt to 12.3 Volt, but after inflating, the CTEK Smartpass pushed the voltage of the main battery up to 12.7 Volt (I have the dual battery system):

View attachment 7828959

Main battery voltage that day:
View attachment 7828961

And OOH surprise, after driving some kilometers on the motorway at 125 km/h, I got again a tire pressure warning, picture taken when arriving at my workshop/dealer. Now the front left tire had a white color instead of orange!
View attachment 7828960

And then I got a extensive explanation from the Hedin/Ineos guy at my dealer, but basically he said this:
  1. That I should inflate my tires when they are cold (euh, that's what I did!)
  2. That I should NOT inflate above 2.6 bar (euh, the sticker inside the car tells me something different if the car is heavily loaded!)
Wondering if the computer of the car is detecting the load of the car.
Wondering if the Hedin/Ineos guy knows what is written on the sticker with tire pressures.

Anyway, I learned something.

And, my software version is still the "old" 1939 version.
I also had the same phenomenon with the yellow and white fonts.
This is due to the second decimal place, which is not displayed here. But you can see it in another view (I just don't know where).
When you have checked the tyre pressures and corrected them if necessary, simply reset the tyre pressure display. Then it will fit again.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
On Wednesday morning, the day I had to go to my dealer I got a low pressure warning. Strange, the right front tire was white colored!
View attachment 7828956

I have a cheap Chinese compressor, and decided to inflate the tires myself (to test the compressor AND my battery behavior, while motor wasn't running), and did put the pressure of the front tires to 2.8 bar and the rear to 3.0 bar. I knew this was too high, as my car was unloaded, but this was a test as I said, knowing that deflating is easy. The Chinese compressor was slow, but behaved very well, nice toy, and the battery voltage went down from 12.8 Volt to 12.3 Volt, but after inflating, the CTEK Smartpass pushed the voltage of the main battery up to 12.7 Volt (I have the dual battery system):

View attachment 7828959

Main battery voltage that day:
View attachment 7828961

And OOH surprise, after driving some kilometers on the motorway at 125 km/h, I got again a tire pressure warning, picture taken when arriving at my workshop/dealer. Now the front left tire had a white color instead of orange!
View attachment 7828960

And then I got a extensive explanation from the Hedin/Ineos guy at my dealer, but basically he said this:
  1. That I should inflate my tires when they are cold (euh, that's what I did!)
  2. That I should NOT inflate above 2.6 bar (euh, the sticker inside the car tells me something different if the car is heavily loaded!)
Wondering if the computer of the car is detecting the load of the car.
Wondering if the Hedin/Ineos guy knows what is written on the sticker with tire pressures.

Anyway, I learned something.

And, my software version is still the "old" 1939 version.
I don’t believe that 3.0 bar is to much for the unloaded Grenadier. It might be a little less comfortable than the lower pressure but it will certainly do no harm.
I changed to 3.0 because I realised that the tyres warmed up quite fast due to the flex. when driving faster than city speed on the 2.6 bar setting.
I hardly can feel any difference but I hope that it will have a (small) impact on the drinking manners as well.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score

I have a theory for this. I am guessing that your TPMS system is set to 2.5 bar for the front tires. And i think the default TPMS alert is for 25% over or under the 2.5 bar. So theoretically the system will alert you if the tire is over 3.125 bar. Obviously the screen only shows the resolution to 1 decimal point. So it is entirely possible that one tire under 3.125 bar while another is over it. If you switched to PSI you may be able to visually see this since .1 bar = 1.45 psi.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Must be some owners getting beyond the 5,000 mile marker on the ODO. Considering I try and rotate around then or if busy at least once a year (always aim for some target for same mileage) has anyone noticed their TPMS not automatically updating each sensor on the new corner, and what of the spare? Has an agent gone into the ecu and updated?

Just curious, as my TPMS errors saga continues.

Merci.

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
Trying to bring this back to the TPMS.... (Sorry :p )

I'm also about to order new rims for winter tyres. This time steel.
And yes, I had to sit down when I got the quote for the rims and the sensors.
≈ 205 € for the 17" steel wheels + 130 € for the sensors (+tax).
(Not what I was used to from my trusted 110).

My current understanding is that the TMPS sensors need to be programmed to the car. By the dealer.
But changing the tyres should only need a "relearning" procedure, which is different for each car.
Can anyone confirm ?

I asked Ineos Support for a clarification what is needed to relearn the sensors after changing.
Will see what they answer.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But changing the tyres should only need a "relearning" procedure, which is different for each car.
Can anyone confirm ?
yes that is my understanding, other forum members have changed tyres and/or wheels and kept original TPMS without issue.

It is however always worth noting which sensor came from which corner so you can put them back in the same orientation.

Hence my further query of tyre rotation (with and without spare).

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When I changed wheels the sensors all worked but they didn’t remember their positions. I was told by the dealer that they would learn their positions after a short drive but they didn’t. I had to physically swap the wheels around to achieve the correct positions.
This was pre-software update.
If I go for a second set of wheels and tyres I doubt I’ll bother with the TPMS. I have managed fine for years without it.. although it would probably cause loads of error messages…

Back
Top Bottom