The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

tyre pressure monitoring system

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody know how the tyre pressure monitoring works in the Grenadier?
As far as I know there are two systems on the market.
  1. the simple "passive" version which diagnoses the wheel rotations via the ABS sensors. Pro: cheap. Contra: not 100% exact measurements/ no warning when the pressure goes down in all four tyres
  2. the "active" pressure sensor in the valve cap. Pro: accurate! Contra: Price/extra technique built in/ additional efforts (time and money) when changing tyres.
There have been pictures from the central display with three digit pressure details for each wheel including the temperature as well. I guess that this is so exact that there has to be either a small DaveB or an active sensor built in.

Any comments?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
I feel like TPMS is the most common way to go. You can even buy them on Amazon

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody know how the tyre pressure monitoring works in the Grenadier?
As far as I know there are two systems on the market.
  1. the simple "passive" version which diagnoses the wheel rotations via the ABS sensors. Pro: cheap. Contra: not 100% exact measurements/ no warning when the pressure goes down in all four tyres
  2. the "active" pressure sensor in the valve cap. Pro: accurate! Contra: Price/extra technique built in/ additional efforts (time and money) when changing tyres.
There have been pictures from the central display with three digit pressure details for each wheel including the temperature as well. I guess that this is so exact that there has to be either a small DaveB or an active sensor built in.

Any comments?

1673890461913.png

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
If I’m out in the bush somewhere and either my tyre is damaged and I damage the tpms during puncture repair, or the valve is ripped out or damaged whilst in severe off road conditions, can I replace the tpms valve with a regular valve , or will the ECU throw a wobbly and put me into limp mode. I would like to think I could disable the tpms and put regular valves in to get me home. Maybe if tpms valves are cheap enough I could carry spares in with my tyre puncture repair kit.
Any thoughts anybody ? This technology is completely new to me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I’m out in the bush somewhere and either my tyre is damaged and I damage the tpms during puncture repair, or the valve is ripped out or damaged whilst in severe off road conditions, can I replace the tpms valve with a regular valve , or will the ECU throw a wobbly and put me into limp mode. I would like to think I could disable the tpms and put regular valves in to get me home. Maybe if tpms valves are cheap enough I could carry spares in with my tyre puncture repair kit.
I haven't seen any mention of a limp home mode in the grenadier

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suppose (and hope) that the tyre pressure system is only a warning and doesn't in any way oblige you to stop the car. Two years ago I had a small leak on a tyre, was aware of it, and drove some 50 km before finding a tyre repair shop.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
In my Jeep (2012 Wrangler) it would just throw a warning light on the dash board. When fitting bigger tyres, i used an AEV procal unit to change the PSI at which it flagged up. I HIGHLY doubt it will do anything different in the grenadier, and as mentioned Offroad mode should knock it out. It would still be handy to have the readings though for when airing down.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you flip the switch to offroad mode, the TMPS no longer gives a warning. I am going off memory.
I suppose ideally you would need to disable TPMs completely even when not in offroad mode, if you you re a few hundred km from the nearest town, with damaged tyres. Out of interest what speed can you go in off-road mode and can off-road mode be used without the centre diff locked, if so then this would be the way to get to the nearest town at a reasonable speed. Hopefully this something that can be worked out.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I suppose ideally you would need to disable TPMs completely even when not in offroad mode, if you you re a few hundred km from the nearest town, with damaged tyres. Out of interest what speed can you go in off-road mode and can off-road mode be used without the centre diff locked, if so then this would be the way to get to the nearest town at a reasonable speed. Hopefully this something that can be worked out.
You can use off-road mode anytime but think it disengages at 70kmh, wading mode is the same

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The other scenario is if you carry a second spare (usually TPMS has provision for five wheels total) without a TPMS sensor fitted. On the LR, the system will show a warning light and warning/tone on startup but will otherwise work normally (eg no limp mode).

Local time
Reaction score
I can only answer your question (which I put in red in the quotation) based on what I know about a 2007 Jeep JKU, and a 2017 Tacoma: yes, in these two vehicles you can replace the TPMS valve with a regular valve and suffer no disruption to driving. I have no idea about the Grenadier - sorry!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure that the tire pressure control system works with the tire valves. Especially since I saw pictures of the monitor in the Grenadier that shows the tire pressure and temperature. my BMW has the same system, I just had a flat tire there. but driving is still possible, the system just complains

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
@Logsplitter They are relatively cheap. I've had versions of them on my last 3 vehicles and replacing the tires at the end of their life, I believe they add about $15 per tire to replace the TPMS with new ones. They're plastic, and I assume the tire techs destroy them when dismounting the tire, or perhaps the battery life is assumed to be done as well. Just speculation as to why, but they always replace them along with fresh tires.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter They are relatively cheap. I've had versions of them on my last 3 vehicles and replacing the tires at the end of their life, I believe they add about $15 per tire to replace the TPMS with new ones. They're plastic, and I assume the tire techs destroy them when dismounting the tire, or perhaps the battery life is assumed to be done as well. Just speculation as to why, but they always replace them along with fresh tires.
I’ll keep some spares then. Thanks for that 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom