The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Trail Turn Assist

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Hello all - are there any Bronco owners here would/can chime in about the new Bronco's trail turn assist? I've read about it but am curious how those who have used it feel about it. I know the turning circle for the IG is rather large and I was wondering if something like it would work.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Yeah this doesn’t sound like a “utilitarian” problem but using a multi level carpark every day where my 200 just gets around the ramps at full lock, I always wonder if I’m going to have to do 4 or 5 three point turns to get the iggy out each evening.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah this doesn’t sound like a “utilitarian” problem but using a multi level carpark every day where my 200 just gets around the ramps at full lock, I always wonder if I’m going to have to do 4 or 5 three point turns to get the iggy out each evening.
200 turning circle is about 12 Metres and I think I recall someone saying Grenadier is 13 metres

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
200 turning circle is about 12 Metres and I think I recall someone saying Grenadier is 13 metres
That's why they fitted a reversing camera, to reduce your risk with all the 3 point (or 5 point ) turns you will be doing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
... using a multi level carpark every day where my 200 just gets around the ramps at full lock, I always wonder if I’m going to have to do 4 or 5 three point turns to get the iggy out each evening.
I'd say you are!
But think of the money you'll save on gym fees 😁

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thank the good lord I optioned the bullbar 😂😂
My S3 109 Landy has a 14.8m turning circle and no power steering. I have managed to dock it in my fancy pants underground car park , with a thick concrete pillar on my right.
I should apply for a master land mariner's certificate 😆

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My S3 109 Landy has a 14.8m turning circle and no power steering. I have managed to dock it in my fancy pants underground car park , with a thick concrete pillar on my right.
I should apply for a master land mariner's certificate 😆
My underground carpark has 2.1 metre clearance so I won't be going in there anyway

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I've used it on a friend's Bronco. It seems to use one of the ABS circuits, similar to Toyota's A-Trac, to lock the inside rear wheel. It's a fun party trick if you're playing around in a wash or something. But I could only see it being useful on very tight switch backs. I doubt it would do much on a hard surface.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My underground carpark has 2.1 metre clearance so I won't be going in there anyway
Luckily mine has 2.2. Unluckily I tend to carry stuff on the roof. Luckily I can park for free at a beach a few minutes walj away. Or indeed just select another iron horse from my stable!
My '66 Benz with old paint is my go to for occasional public car parks. People open doors onto it and the steel cannot be dented.
Plus you can fit 6 bodies in the boot , so that's equivalent to a lot of potting soil bags from Bunnings.
A lot more than a Grenadier with a drawer system and fridge...
So that is why I am keeping it , I tell my better half!

Local time
Reaction score
Hello all - are there any Bronco owners here would/can chime in about the new Bronco's trail turn assist? I've read about it but am curious how those who have used it feel about it. I know the turning circle for the IG is rather large and I was wondering if something like it would work.
I've never used it, but I can see that it might be useful on switchbacks - especially those with big drop-offs, like Black Bear Pass in Colorado.
black-bear.jpg
However, I'm not really a fan of the concept, as I think it will tear-up the trails. Trail erosion up high in the mountains is a pretty big deal in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Thom_worldwide

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have used it. Works as Traffic mentioned, locks the brake on inside rear wheel. In the right conditions, the vehicle almost pivots around that rear wheel. The system only initiates if you turn the steering wheel to or almost to full lock. I used in on a tight soft surface trail where the turn to the next trail was a cut back greater than 120 degrees. I can see where it might be really useful, but only in rare cases. Of course, you could probably find tons of places to use it if that is what you were out to do.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s an interesting concept. I read on the Ford website that it will work in high and low range but must be in 4wd. Also must have wheel almost to full lock and it will disengage at a certain speed (which I don’t recall). And obviously, rear differential must be open.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have used it. Works as Traffic mentioned, locks the brake on inside rear wheel. In the right conditions, the vehicle almost pivots around that rear wheel. The system only initiates if you turn the steering wheel to or almost to full lock. I used in on a tight soft surface trail where the turn to the next trail was a cut back greater than 120 degrees. I can see where it might be really useful, but only in rare cases. Of course, you could probably find tons of places to use it if that is what you were out to do.
So is this like the split brakes you get on the rear wheels of agricultural tractors to aid turning.

Thom_worldwide

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter: Yes, but the driver does not have to lift the bar on the split brakes and hold down the inside brake. (That is how I remember my grandfather's tractor brakes working)
Pretty much just the driver just has to ensure the trail turn assist button is activated, rear unlocked, turn the steering wheel all the way and give it a fair amount of gas. Since you are dragging a tire, and as others have indicated - digging up the trail, you need more power to keep the vehicle moving.

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I reviewed a Bronco Badlands for Wheels Afield magazine, and tried the Trail Turn Assist. It certainly reduces the turning circle, at the expense of massive damage to the substrate, since you're dragging one locked wheel through the turn. I was rather horrified that the concept made it past beta testing. It did this in a wash.Bronco Trail Turn Assist.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I reviewed a Bronco Badlands for Wheels Afield magazine, and tried the Trail Turn Assist. It certainly reduces the turning circle, at the expense of massive damage to the substrate, since you're dragging one locked wheel through the turn. I was rather horrified that the concept made it past beta testing. It did this in a wash.View attachment 7801656
Not to mention the load and strain it is putting on the tyre, wheel, locknuts, rim, brakes, axles, suspension and diff

Local time
Reaction score
I reviewed a Bronco Badlands for Wheels Afield magazine, and tried the Trail Turn Assist. It certainly reduces the turning circle, at the expense of massive damage to the substrate, since you're dragging one locked wheel through the turn. I was rather horrified that the concept made it past beta testing. It did this in a wash.View attachment 7801656
Yeah, that's what I was talking about in Post #13. And its starting to catch on with other manufacturers who want to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom