The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Mounting Plate -Front (optn "ETA") Design limitation

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Attended the Brisbane drive day today at "Thunder Park"...Mt Tambourine. Excellent. I'm stoked in anticipation. My dear wife was most impressed at the comfort of the rear passenger seat and the visibility from the driver's seat...though "petite", she could easily see both front corners. The vehicle crawled over rough rutted narrow tracks with ease and apparent minimal effort.. it certainly instilled confidence!

In a detailed discussion about the front tow plate I was advised that the said option is designed to manoeuvre caravans, trailers, horse floats etc. It is NOT designed to accommodate a portable winch cradle. The mounting does not have the strength to support the dead weight of the vehicle.

There is a deal of confusion, especially since a portable winch kit was offered in the early accessory list. The portable winch is fine for the rear tow hitch receiver. Not the front one!

Apparently this subject came up at the Perth drive day and the local Ineos Australia team is keen to get the message out as to the design limits. As a result I am in the course of cancelling this option if it's not too late.

All in all, a very well organised, professionally managed event. 😃👍
cheers.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Attended the Brisbane drive day today at "Thunder Park"...Mt Tambourine. Excellent. I'm stoked in anticipation. My dear wife was most impressed at the comfort of the rear passenger seat and the visibility from the driver's seat...though "petite", she could easily see both front corners. The vehicle crawled over rough rutted narrow tracks with ease and apparent minimal effort.. it certainly instilled confidence!

In a detailed discussion about the front tow plate I was advised that the said option is designed to manoeuvre caravans, trailers, horse floats etc. It is NOT designed to accommodate a portable winch cradle. The mounting does not have the strength to support the dead weight of the vehicle.

There is a deal of confusion, especially since a portable winch kit was offered in the early accessory list. The portable winch is fine for the rear tow hitch receiver. Not the front one!

Apparently this subject came up at the Perth drive day and the local Ineos Australia team is keen to get the message out as to the design limits. As a result I am in the course of cancelling this option if it's not too late.

All in all, a very well organised, professionally managed event. 😃👍
cheers.
I will be up there tomorrow morning.
I have ordered with front tow hitch for the designed purpose and have not ordered the portable winch.
Wasn't aware it couldn't take it though so good to know.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As per the Grenadier configurator description of the Towing Mounting Plate - Front: "Equip your Grenadier for front towing. Fits directly within the modular front bumper and is compatible with the Removable Winch with Towing Mounting Kit"

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
So it's OK to pull a 3,500kg trailer, but not the dead weight of a vehicle that weighs less? 🤔

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
So it's OK to pull a 3,500kg trailer, but not the dead weight of a vehicle that weighs less? 🤔
I guess it will not be a problem as long as the vehicle is not stuck…

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've optioned the integrated front winch but also find a front mounted tow ball very useful. I hope one can be attached to the front somehow. Off-centre no doubt. Will have to wait and see what can be engineered. Just needed for manoeuvring in awkward spots.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I'm certainly confused. I relied upon the description for the very purpose of maneuvering vans, trailers etc and having a recovery option with the portable winch. I can understand that a lower load limit may apply with the tow hitch receiver compared to the integrated winch. I now question what sort of load the front mounted hitch can take. I can't recall seeing it specified anywhere.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They are working to fix the website.
Shame ~ I'd have preferred it if they'd done the opposite and fixed the vehicle.

If there's a way to mount a 5,500kg winch behind the front bumper, and a way to mount a hitch receiver at the rear for a 3,500kg winch, then it should be possible to mount a hitch receiver for a 3,500kg winch at the front?

Back
Top Bottom