The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front and rear number plates fell off

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
That is laughable. Tape only - structural tape!!! Drill a hole to suit M5 bolt fixing and use 2x M4 with nylock nuts. Problem solved.

Reactions: AWo

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Actually in the UK double sided tape is probably the most common method used by suppling dealers. (They hate drilling or tapping holes in their nice new cars)
Isn't that weird the way different people across he planet do things differently. In Australia you'd shoot your dealer for doing that, yet it's acceptable elsewhere.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Isn't that weird the way different people across he planet do things differently. In Australia you'd shoot your dealer for doing that, yet it's acceptable elsewhere.
Imagine if the plate came off when cruising down the highway.
Straight through the windscreen behind then slice & dice the occupants

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I've had 5 dealer supplied new Discoverys' over the last 20 years all with tape stuck number plates and during that time non have come off.
Even more weird the back door on the Discovery has a factory " hole" for a blind bolt lug as standard!!! So LR and dealers have different views. I think dealers in the UK use tape because it fits all type of cars.

Local time
Reaction score
I think it becomes an unskilled job if you're not drilling holes and so the valet man can be tasked with it, increasing margins...
These type of plastic surrounds are used on the PT02s that my dealer has on display but cost money yes I know it's a 65K+ vehicle .

I used 3M tape( there different grab strengths was about£10 for 5M) not the small white pads used by car dealers don't forget to remove the release agent from the bumper first use 2 or 3 different solvents and change cloth several times to make sure all traces are removed.
Number platesurround.jpg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These type of plastic surrounds are used on the PT02s that my dealer has on display but cost money yes I know it's a 65K+ vehicle .

I used 3M tape( there different grab strengths was about£10 for 5M) not the small white pads used by car dealers don't forget to remove the release agent from the bumper first use 2 or 3 different solvents and change cloth several times to make sure all traces are removed.
View attachment 7817991
I've got those plastic number plate holders on my trailers, they are quite flimsy I wouldn't use them on a vehicle.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Imagine if the plate came off when cruising down the highway.
Straight through the windscreen behind then slice & dice the occupants
The fine for driving without a number plate more like it... is excessive!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
The plastic license plate holders above (called "Nummernschildhalter" which is a typical German compound word 😄) are standard in Germany - because in Germany there is an "official" solution for everything. Which is sometimes good and sometimes not.

On my 2000 Merc they have held for 23 years now and are still elastic. So seems like a good choice of plastic. And even at @240 Km/h they don't fall off. Couldn't test higher speeds however, as our SLK then maxes out.

You just put the license plate in and close/click the surrounding frame. Simple.

Cons: You could steal the license plate as quickly as it is mounted. But surprisingly, that almost never happens.

Some just use pop rivets.

Dieselhorse

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
How about the following method: if you use sikaflex from Henkel which is an adhesive sealant used very commonly in boatbilding. They use it for joining deck an hull on grp boats. Once fixed, it´s fixed. Just an idea. I usually use plastic frames bolted to the bumper, which allow to clip in the number plate. Prior to serious offroading, I remove the plate from the plastic frame, so the don´t get lost in the battle.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They fell off sir - so put them back on!
Yesterday morning I found my front number plate on the ground, as you can see from the photo it was only attached with poor quality double sided tape on a limited surface area. Also some of the tape was overlapped further reducing the contact area. After cleaning the existing tape from the plate, there was nothing on the bumper. I used the following tape to refit :- https://www.diy.com/departments/3m-...ounting-tape-l-5m-w-19mm/4054596685819_BQ.prd.
When I was done I thought to check the rear plate and found it just hanging on the tow hitch, resecured as above.
Now it maybe coincidence or not but the day before was the first I’ve had the vehicle on a rough farm track full of pot holes causing lurching from side to side. During the night there was also very heavy rain and strong winds so I think this is what final caused them to come off. I had a look at various photos on the forum and there is a mix of mechanical fixings and double sided tape used to secure the plates.View attachment 7817853View attachment 7817852
I know I shouldn’t post on this - these things happen. I once experienced the same on an EVO VIII. You know what I did? Put them back on, but with better foxings!

Back
Top Bottom