The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Top Gear Magazine review and online review (UK)

“For all it owes to the Defender and G-Wagen, the Ineos Grenadier has lots of character of its own”

AFD78DB4-9CD4-4A45-8AC0-88ABAF9514DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 55A2084E-4422-404A-875C-0D4B6CB2D57C.jpeg
    55A2084E-4422-404A-875C-0D4B6CB2D57C.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 45632981-3B74-4AB1-BDBE-D58307822F4A.jpeg
    45632981-3B74-4AB1-BDBE-D58307822F4A.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 5A49D924-9F31-4556-8044-48FAC172E03D.jpeg
    5A49D924-9F31-4556-8044-48FAC172E03D.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 2C46160A-327D-40E2-84C3-374EA1AD9E10.jpeg
    2C46160A-327D-40E2-84C3-374EA1AD9E10.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 0959923D-208B-4E7C-AF39-F2A90EEBE428.jpeg
    0959923D-208B-4E7C-AF39-F2A90EEBE428.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Wait until the Chelsea tractor co or Kahn get hold of one then we'll wish for a Brabus version, its only a matter of time before the tuning houses start working on these vehicles I think.

Finishing up on that line, I wonder how Top Gear would review an Alpina Grenadier.......
They'd be so conflicted they'd explode!

How about a proper "M" specification?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Hm.. seriously looking ahead.. 2025 there should be a new emission standard to be established Euro 7 even considering tyre and brake dust that will also look at EV . The end of this might annihilate normal people to purchase an individual vehicle. the cost and effort in technology to eliminate any emission would put high cost on small vehicles and so take away individual transportation for the common people. Perhaps little used cars will be repaired and may stay longer in operation than intended. My mothers ( near 89) Mercedes A 160 from 2000 will probably get a far longer life.. WEF Schwab statement: You will possess nothing and be lucky.. (if you behave as we tell you what he forgot to mention)
The truth is new regulation may result in older cars receiving a quite longer lifespan on and off road.
the rich may purchase a pimped g wagon or a even a Grenadier that would suit fast n furious and so perhaps attract top gear.. and a free road .. as it was in times were royals and nobility reigned and ruled.
Perhaps the pimped ones will be exempted from emissions fees like private jets and yachts.
Conclusion, Top Gear will embrace a Grenadier Sporter, lowered, side pipes.. aerodynamics kit, all black.. carbon lightweight ( or perhaps bullet resistant body) to cope with changing structure of society..
Without crystal ball gazing.. this could be a not to distant future.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Most say it is for range, I would hazard a guess that few use or need the range. Here I am in Cairns, heading up the cape at least 3 times a year, and not me nor any of my mates have long range tanks. Some, like yourself may need range, but for most, it is the fantasy of that big trip they all dream about. I use high quality steel Jerry cans, they get me where I need to go and back again.
I can understand not needing them on the East coast, I'm in W.A and where we have been and intend to go we'll need all the range we can get, especially towing.

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
Reviews should start appearing in about 6.5 hours Australian east cost 12.01 am, maybe earlier in NZ, I have noticed in the past that embargoed new car releases have appeared at 12.01 AU time.
West coast of America, you should be able to read Aus articles 18 hrs before your calendar reaches the 8th.

Local time
Reaction score
The electronic locking diffs in my 1993 300GE always worked perfectly. They didn’t make it up when they said “Engineered Like No Other Car in the World” - not built by accident, on purpose either.

Big difference is, they are not engaged electrically but hydraulically in the G Wagen. Merely the switch and the solenoids are electrical, the actuation. The lockers have their own hydraulic circuit on your G Wagen, like it has been since its introduction. On the 460 and early 461 the very same circuit is installed like on yours, minus the electrics. Instead you have two levers next to the drivers seat for the lockers and the centre diff engages mechanically by selecting 4wd in the transfer box. 460/461 and 463 have different transfer boxes though - VG 80 on 460 and 461 up to 2001 with selectable 4wd and VG 150 on 463 and 461 post 2001 with permanent 4wd.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
I can understand not needing them on the East coast, I'm in W.A and where we have been and intend to go we'll need all the range we can get, especially towing.
With 135 litres I only carried jerries on desert treks, but with only 90L it would be nice to have a bit more range. That said I’ve always been a believer in filling up at local service stations and giving them my business because if you don’t one day they might not be there. I’ve never carried fuel to save a buck like a lot of gray nomads do.
Small capacity- it’s really only a problem with access to fuel in the desert locations more or less. More a PITA than a problem elsewhere.

Local time
Reaction score
Agree - Of course we don't know what off roading experience the Top Gear reviewer(s) have but, clearly they review a wide spectrum of mainstream vehicles.

Having said that, here are some Top Gear review ratings:

Toyota LC: 5/10
Mercedes G Wagen: 8/10
Land Rover Defender: 9/10
Jeep Wrangler: 7/10
Jeep Gladiator: 8/10
But Top Gear has always been biased, less so since the departure of the old crew. It's part of the concept and the fun watching it.

Local time
Reaction score
You see loads of them in the EU doing real work, just not the fancy AMG examples. More than 80% of all G Wagens built are still in use today, its mainly the more robust 460 and 461, earning a living. However, the youngest of those are 20 years old and the required competence for maintenance is slowly and sadly fading away, even in Germany.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With 135 litres I only carried jerries on desert treks, but with only 90L it would be nice to have a bit more range. That said I’ve always been a believer in filling up at local service stations and giving them my business because if you don’t one day they might not be there. I’ve never carried fuel to save a buck like a lot of gray nomads do.
Small capacity- it’s really only a problem with access to fuel in the desert locations more or less. More a PITA than a problem elsewhere.
Absolutely, Desert and remote is when we carry. I don't understand carrying 2x20t cans for days to save $20 potentially. Communities need the trade and most small business out there rely on it.
The last trip we did was 1100klm towing without a fuel stop in sight, I'd be interested to see how the IG goes with range, currently getting 15-20lts per 100 depending on speed and terrain. Not expecting much change TBH

Attachments

• LC200GX.jpg
    LC200GX.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 20

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely, Desert and remote is when we carry. I don't understand carrying 2x20t cans for days to save $20 potentially. Communities need the trade and most small business out there rely on it.
The last trip we did was 1100klm towing without a fuel stop in sight, I'd be interested to see how the IG goes with range, currently getting 15-20lts per 100 depending on speed and terrain. Not expecting much change TBH
Is the issue the cost of fuel, the reliability of supply, or quality (esp. diesel) or all three? I guess my concerns have been born of "range anxiety" and fuel quality rather than the marginal increased cost. I agree fully on the need to support the remote communities..

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm guessing when you pull in locally you are also more likely to buy something else in addition to fuel; fruit, veg, a paper etc etc.

I try and help the local shops out as much as I can. The D4 and RR get the Shell Optima and the bangers get the standard diesel from a local independent plus whatever else is there that I fancy. Like many a pub around here, don't complain it's shut up and disappeared if you only went once every six weeks for a lime and soda!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
On the 460 and early 461 the very same circuit is installed like on yours, minus the electrics. Instead you have two levers next to the drivers seat for the lockers and the centre diff engages mechanically by selecting 4wd in the transfer box.
That's right. In my w460 there were two tie rods between the front seats which I had to pull to lock the diffs. It took some strength to do so. "Very mechanical" and thus unbreakable.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the issue the cost of fuel, the reliability of supply, or quality (esp. diesel) or all three? I guess my concerns have been born of "range anxiety" and fuel quality rather than the marginal increased cost. I agree fully on the need to support the remote communities..
Yes, fuel quality can definitely be an issue. Never personally had any, and these day of regular tank testing it seems to be reducing fortunately. I think the retailers insurance companies may have a hand in that :unsure:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's right. In my w460 there were two tie rods between the front seats which I had to pull to lock the diffs. It took some strength to do so. "Very mechanical" and thus unbreakable.
Yes. They are stiff to pull up to engage the lockers and the knob is very long!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. They are stiff to pull up to engage the lockers and the knob is very long!
stiff, knob and very long all in the same sentence - getting close to your post being at home on the joke thread

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, fuel quality can definitely be an issue. Never personally had any, and these day of regular tank testing it seems to be reducing fortunately. I think the retailers insurance companies may have a hand in that :unsure:
In my experience the fuel quality (contamination) issues in Oz are mostly around fuel stored on mine sites, stations & remote communities.
Particularly above ground tanks where condensation, corrosion and bacterial bloom can be an issue.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Reviews should start appearing in about 6.5 hours Australian east cost 12.01 am, maybe earlier in NZ, I have noticed in the past that embargoed new car releases have appeared at 12.01 AU time.
West coast of America, you should be able to read Aus articles 18 hrs before your calendar reaches the 8th.
So 1pm UK time? (GMT?)

Local time
Reaction score

A bit of grease underneath, new brake fluid -use only ATE brand-, a good bleed and regular use do wonders..the levers fly up, sort of..:)

Back
Top Bottom